Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

pics

Old 05-04-2017, 09:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Location: Placerville, CA.... You know, the only place on Highway 50 between Sacramento and Lake Tahoe the you find signal lights. Above the fog most of the time and I can see the stars of the Milky Way 8 out of 10 nights. Kinda cool.....
Garage
Kapalini $250 Duck Tail

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanuf View Post
Has any one ordered this Ducktails?

How is fit and finish, sounds too good to be true.

Porsche 911 Whale Tail Rear Wing Fiberglass Spoiler RS Style 2.7 1972-73 | eBay

After much internal debate, I emailed the seller and ended up placing an order for one. I elected to make arrangements to pick it up personally since I live 115 miles away. I literally picked it up today from his warehouse.

I can tell you that the finish is pretty good for a fiberglass ducktail and he is very easy to deal with. He also showed me a fiberglass front bumper that looked great. Dealt with another LA based company on a different deck lid wing option and it has serious fitment issues and all around PITA. His company provides these parts to some very well known Porsche Supply warehouses and last year he arranged a large shipment of these to Germany directly. For the price, it allows one to experiment with different options without braking the bank. They also offer many quality parts for other vehicles as well.

Cocooned in bubble wrap.

It will be a little bit before I start the fit process but I will advise if anyone is interested. Like has been stated earlier, FG parts are going to require some fiddling to make them 100%. That being said, these are not the same quality that Cory's Steele based ones are, just an alternative if your undecided on the exact look your chasing after. Since I am not 100% on the DT,this is a good start point and I'm sure I could sell it locally if I change my mind.

1978 911SC Targa
Working Projects: 1968 912

Last edited by bugstrider; 06-22-2017 at 07:08 PM..
Old 06-22-2017, 04:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
ROW '78 911 Targa

Garage
Lol, just clicked the link and they are now $1,250 plus shipping!!!
Talk about inflation!

Last edited by timmy2; 06-22-2017 at 05:03 PM..
Old 06-22-2017, 05:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Location: Placerville, CA.... You know, the only place on Highway 50 between Sacramento and Lake Tahoe the you find signal lights. Above the fog most of the time and I can see the stars of the Milky Way 8 out of 10 nights. Kinda cool.....
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmy2 View Post
Lol, just clicked the link and they are now $1,250 plus shipping!!!
Talk about inflation!
Dang! I think there was a type-O in the update. He said there were more coming in from his supplier. OK, in recalling the conversation, he said when these sold out the price would go up until the new shipment arrived. I was unsure what exactly he meant but I believe this is the case. I didn't think I got the last one of the current stash. His family owns the factory that produces these so I would expect more to arrive and the price to come back down. I paid the listed $250.00 plus CA sales tax.

If anyone wants to contact him, here is his info:
Kebbuck LLC
2603 Camino Ramon, 200
San Ramon, CA 94583
phone (925)786-9021
email: sales@kebbuck.com
web: www.kebbuck.com

1978 911SC Targa

Last edited by bugstrider; 06-22-2017 at 07:31 PM..
Old 06-22-2017, 07:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Garage
Just looked at the link and am confirming it's now $1250.
Old 06-22-2017, 07:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

I just ordered one at $250 not 20 minutes ago....
Old 06-22-2017, 09:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugstrider View Post
Dang! I think there was a type-O in the update. He said there were more coming in from his supplier. OK, in recalling the conversation, he said when these sold out the price would go up until the new shipment arrived. I was unsure what exactly he meant but I believe this is the case. I didn't think I got the last one of the current stash. His family owns the factory that produces these so I would expect more to arrive and the price to come back down. I paid the listed $250.00 plus CA sales tax.

If anyone wants to contact him, here is his info:
Kebbuck LLC
2603 Camino Ramon, 200
San Ramon, CA 94583
phone (925)786-9021
email: sales@kebbuck.com
web: KEBBUCK | Custom Auto Parts Fiberglass, Plastic, Rubber | GM, Ford, MOPAR Custom Auto Parts

Just to be sure I understand this DT. It does NOT have a steel frame? I'm happy that the price fluctuation isn't confusing.....
Old 06-23-2017, 07:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Location: behind the redwood curtain, (humboldt county) california
Garage
Bought one

I ordered one for $250 and paid $175 shipping and tax. It arrived UPS the next day.

It might be more cost effective to request a less expensive shipping method, (I live about 550 miles away).

It looks good in primer but once running your hand over the "flat" surfaces, some waviness is apparent.

My vastly more experienced mechanic said, "welcome to the world of fiberglass". He also offered that the surface can distort a bit with heat. Give it a light sanding and a skim coat of filler, but do not sand through the gelcoat.

I've got to finish the front end rebuild and install a twin post hoist before I will have a chance to get to the Duck. Looking forward to it.

chris
Old 06-23-2017, 07:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Garage
Kapalini $250 Duck Tail

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72911 View Post
Just to be sure I understand this DT. It does NOT have a steel frame? I'm happy that the price fluctuation isn't confusing.....

That is correct, this DT is 100% fiberglass aside from the metal studs for mounting on the hinges. There is no steel framework.

As far as price flux, I truly believe the price drops when more arrive in stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1978 911SC Targa
Old 06-23-2017, 08:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Garage
Kapalini $250 Duck Tail

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismorse View Post
I ordered one for $250 and paid $175 shipping and tax. It arrived UPS the next day.

It might be more cost effective to request a less expensive shipping method, (I live about 550 miles away).

It looks good in primer but once running your hand over the "flat" surfaces, some waviness is apparent.

My vastly more experienced mechanic said, "welcome to the world of fiberglass". He also offered that the surface can distort a bit with heat. Give it a light sanding and a skim coat of filler, but do not sand through the gelcoat.

I've got to finish the front end rebuild and install a twin post hoist before I will have a chance to get to the Duck. Looking forward to it.

chris

Thanks Chris, all of that is good to know. I did wonder about how it or any DT would stand up the nasty engine heat environment of our cars.

1978 911SC Targa

Last edited by bugstrider; 06-23-2017 at 08:28 AM..
Old 06-23-2017, 08:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)
porsher

Garage
Fiberglass is the art of making a silk purse out of a sow's ear.
Old 06-23-2017, 12:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)
Under the radar

Location: Sebastopol, The Republic of California. Land of wine and redwoods.
Garage
How does carbon fiber compare to fiberglass? I have a FG duck and it is showing some warpage, I'm guessing due to the heat. But my CF front hood seems to be OK.

BTW, I have in the past sat a new FG part out in the sun for a few weeks before starting to work on it. That gives it time to cure and hopefully not warp any more after it install it.

#56 PCA Redwood Region, GGR, NASA, Speed SF
Old 06-23-2017, 12:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Garage
Two words. Gary Stratton.

"...the secret to Porsche: we do things others cannot"
Old 06-23-2017, 01:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

Odd - Website wont give me a shipping price for the bumper? Maybe it has to go truck and he only does PU for that.

Man if he is not the manufacturer I wonder what he buys them for? I never realized there was like 4 middle men in the air cooled Porsche FG game?
RSR look hot rod, based on 75' SOLD
73 911t 3.0SC Hot rod Gulf Blue - Sold.
Old 06-24-2017, 05:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

Garage
It's advertised for $1250.00. You offered $250.00 and it was accepted??
Old 06-24-2017, 05:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

Garage
Kapalini $250 Duck Tail

Quote:
Originally Posted by manonmasi View Post
It's advertised for $1250.00. You offered $250.00 and it was accepted??

Nozzir, I found it at $250.00 per the original eBay add. I contacted him for an invoice which was for the $250.00 plus CA tax since I was making arrangements to pick it up rather than shipping due to cost. Figured $30 in gas was better.

I think I may have gotten the last one in his current inventory because in recalling the conversation, he mentioned he was nearly out and if it sold before I paid the invoice, I would see a price increase until he got more in stock and that the price would then drop back down once they were received in his inventory.

I just didn't realize the amount of the increase, which I assume will drop back down once he receives his new shipment.

Hope that helps

1978 911SC Targa

Last edited by bugstrider; 06-24-2017 at 08:02 AM..
Old 06-24-2017, 07:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)

Garage
Kapalini $250 Duck Tail

Quote:
Originally Posted by esample View Post
Two words. Gary Stratton.

To do it legit, don't forget one more word......... "cash".

Unfortunately, I'm budget strapped otherwise I'd be all over that like fat kid on a cupcake at fat camp.

1978 911SC Targa

Last edited by bugstrider; 06-24-2017 at 07:57 PM..
Old 06-24-2017, 08:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)

I looked into ordering one of the bumpers but the shipping is more than the bumper.

If any one lived close enough and had time to pick one up and drop it at Grey hound I would give you $50 for your trouble.
RSR look hot rod, based on 75' SOLD
73 911t 3.0SC Hot rod Gulf Blue - Sold.
Old 06-24-2017, 07:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

Garage
Kapalini $250 Duck Tail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackrash View Post
BTW, I have in the past sat a new FG part out in the sun for a few weeks before starting to work on it. That gives it time to cure and hopefully not warp any more after it install it.

I have zero FG parts experience, does this theory really work? It will be awhile before I start on the fitment so I have time to try this idea out, but would like to hear more before letting it cook in the sun.

Cheers

1978 911SC Targa
Old 06-26-2017, 11:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)
Under the radar

Location: Sebastopol, The Republic of California. Land of wine and redwoods.
Garage
I should have said to be careful to keep it from warping out of shape when doing this.

The reality of FG is that the resin will continue to harden over time. I have let a new FG part sit in the sun for a week or two, making sure to support it to maintain its shape. It has been my experience that this will hopefully allow it will be fully cured before painting and installing. Now if the part has been sitting on the shelf in a warehouse for a year, it probably is good to go as is.
#56 PCA Redwood Region, GGR, NASA, Speed SF
Old 06-26-2017, 12:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: