Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Jack, yes the motor came from Harald. He was a pleasure to deal with. Absolutly no problems. Maybe the next Big Bear Run I won't have to meet you at the bottom of the hill ten minutes after you and Tyson. By the progress of BB2 I may be able to keep to 5 minutes. Awwwg . . . the peer pressure on this board is incredible!

Don, feel free to stop by being your just a few miles away. Any help is appreciated. The project shoudl be going on everyweekend for the next three weeks. Next weekend my motor will come out and I can begin the engine compartment detailing. Hopefully the 3.6 will be able to go in the weekend of Feb 8.

Kevin, I haven't received anything from Timmins yet. I will be shipping my engin tin and rear motor brace on Monday for the mods. Ryan voluntered to have a friend do some special mods to the AC braket thing to try and really clean the piece up. What was Porsche thinking with that piece? Hopefully all the pieces will come together in short order.

The motor really came complete from what I can tell. Holding the wiring harness in my hand when it was first taken out of the crate is a little daughnting with all those unknown connectors hanging all over the place. The motor will use the 993 exhaust via special adapters Harald had made up, emptying out of my 2-out-the-back Sport muffler. In the mean time the fan, valve covers and other pieces will be sent out to be powder coated. I'm going to try and document everything with pics for others, but in the heat of the battle pics sort of take a back set.

Quote:
So what did the ramp consist of, a bunk bed matress spring board?
the ramp is actually a steel railing for stairs I have been keeping in the garage for an unknwon reason. We used some 6 ton jack stands to raise one end to the truck and plywood on top of the railing. Both Ryan and I stood on the railing prior to putting the motor on and it did not bend. And yes, I have a VERY understanding wife. She actually came to the garage when Ryan and I were messing with the motor and took our order for pizza and made a beer run! And she's very good looking too. Ah the perfect woman!

Last edited by pbs911; 01-26-2003 at 09:36 AM..
Old 01-26-2003, 09:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to ischmitz
Quote:
Originally posted by k9handler
Ingo...how did you change the interior color? Did you replace it or use a dye?
Mine was one of those bi-color versions: Black dash, black door trim piece and tan door pannels, carpets, seats, parcel shelf etc.

I bought used seats and a carpet set. For all other panels and the parcel shelf I used hardboard, vinyl and foam to produce my own replicas. The parcel shelf was a b**** since it constists of four pieces stapled together.

I covered the rear window trim pieces in vinyl as well. Looking back how much work it all ended up being I was stupid not to use leather and the good german wool carpet.

I doubt dying would be a lasting solution.

Ingo

I repair/rebuild Bosch CDI Boxes and Porsche Motronic DMEs
Porsche "Hammer" or Porsche PST2 - I can help!!
How about a NoBadDays DualChip for 964 or '95 993
Old 01-26-2003, 10:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to ZAMIRZ
Very cool Paul, your ingeniuity is 2nd to none on pulling that thing outta the bed of the truck. I hope the conversion goes smoothly, good luck.

'83 911SC
Old 01-26-2003, 10:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by pbs911
...And yes, I have a VERY understanding wife. She actually came to the garage when Ryan and I were messing with the motor and took our order for pizza and made a beer run! And she's very good looking too. Ah the perfect woman!
She won't have any unmarried sisters in their late teens or early twenties by any chance, hm...
Old 01-26-2003, 10:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
Formerly bb80sc

Very cool Paul! You doods are a couple of studs....and very innovative at that. I'll bet that 3.6 is gonna scream thru that sport muffler.

Man, it's getting much harder to keep up with the Jones' Some of us are gonna either get a case of 3.0 anxiety or 3.6 envy!

Feel free to hollar if you need a hand with anything.

Ryan, looks like your getting your suspension squared away in prep for a transplant, huh!

seeya
2017 Mazda CX5
Old 01-26-2003, 11:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Paul can you post the pictures of your headers and collectors? Harald said that received some from him, Kevin
Old 01-26-2003, 11:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Great job. Can't wait to see more pics.
Old 01-27-2003, 07:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

DOes anyone have more details on Harald's engines and services?

Any websites?

Thanks,

Olivier
Old 01-27-2003, 04:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Garage
Harald is a nice guy to deal with. He sold numerous engines to people here on the board. Just ask around and you won't find one disapointed customer.

He does not have a website but if you shoot him an Email explaining what you are looking for he will let you know the costs.

I visited him several month ago when I bought my engine. He had several to choose from. A pretty impressive operation and lots of parts. I felt like the kid in the candy store. Only that Haralds candies are a little more expensive...

ingo
Old 01-27-2003, 08:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

ohecht with Harald you have to ask for what your looking for, and yes i did buy my 3.6 from him and he has been more then helpful, if you do decide a 3.6 conversion get all your eggs in a basket or you will be doing the waiting game like I am, i should start posting my finds here in a couple days as more parts come available, Kevin
Old 01-27-2003, 09:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

So, the million $ question would be:

How much does he sell the 993's for? There must be a range that you boys can share with us.

Oh, yeah! I have been following successful stories buying from this German Duuuuuuuude!
Old 01-27-2003, 09:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

cab83_750 ,Yea just e-mail Harald, i had a problem with the expiditor wanting me to pay for shipping when i already paid, i emailed Harald at 12pm eastern time, he called me at 1pm, this was like 8-9 night for him, he called his local shipper and called me back a second time with a three way call, buy 5 oclock my time it was fixed, so he was working on it between 9pm-1am, on the 993 motors verses 964, i wanted the 1993 up head gasket motor which i got, i dont think the 993 engines have solid lifters so you wouldnt have to adjust them and i hear its quiter, but when all is said and done ill have 285-295 hp with a 2500lb car, i think i can shock the heck outa almost anyone I race if i do race, to me the extra cash for maybe another50hp wasnt worth it since i dont plan to race it, with the c2 turbo body in speed yellow, i feel the car will have the punch to match the looks, Kevin
Old 01-27-2003, 09:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Garage
3.6 transplant

Looks cool. A general ? Where can a list be obtained on the items needed for converting a 82 3.0L to a butt kickin 3.6L What does a motor like that cost and Why import from Germany? What type motor is desireable 993, 956. How do we know what motor to go looking for?

Last edited by Speedy1; 01-27-2003 at 10:22 PM..
Old 01-27-2003, 10:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)
Administrator

There are more bureaucratic hurdles (TUV) to jump through swapping a bigger engine into an older car in Germany, so it makes financial sense (when the exchange rate is good) to bring their engines over here.

Steve Timmins is a good source for the parts you need to do the swap. He has a web page here.
Old 01-27-2003, 10:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

Garage
Re: 3.6 transplant

Looks cool. A general ? Where can a list be obtained on the items needed for converting a 82 3.0L to a butt kickin 3.6L

There are several web sites explaining what is needed. Bill Verburg's site has several referenced. Mine is amongst them. Timmens offers a kit. His site is pretty good, too.

What does a motor like that cost and Why import from Germany?

Costs can be anywhere from 6000$ to 10000$ depending on what version of 3.6 you are looking for. Germany, because there are more available for some reason.

Old 01-27-2003, 10:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

Can someone post Harald's e-mail, or PM it to me? It is good to see so many positive references...I have seen a few people selling "whatever porsche engine you want" from Germany, but I think that is far too risky without some good references.

Olivier
Old 01-28-2003, 04:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)

When buying from overseas, it is more of a pain than getting a UPS delivery. I found a bunch of middlemen who wanted to get their cut. You also have to deal with customs, or pay someone to deal with them. There is also a lauguage barrier to deal with. So be very specific in what parts you want. My feeling is that it is worth it buying overseas only if you get a screaming deal, because of the time it takes on this end. And time is money.
Old 01-28-2003, 07:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)

Garage
The entire process took no more than 2 weeks from the time I wired the money until I had the motor in my garage. The only problem was when we had to wait for about an hour for the shipper to pick up the paper work from the airlines. My fault since I left early to pick up the motor. The only additional money was a $55 fee to the shipper for running the paper work. Customs took about 40 stress filled minutes ( i was third in line), the airlines another 20 (second in line).

I watched transactions go through Harald since Jack Olsen had his 3.6 conversion performed, about 3 years ago. I have never heard of any problem. Oversites maybe, but they were quickly corrected. Harald has sold motor to several board members, shipping the motor here and he is currently doing a member's conversion in his shop in Germany. The only other 3.6 motor sale that IMHO was foolproof was Bill V's, but I moved too slow, and it was a one time thing.

For anyone who is interested, just do your research and plan ahead. The hardest part is knowing what you want and lining up all your ducks in a row before you begin. The best I could do is a slightly educated guess.
Old 01-28-2003, 09:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by ohecht
Can someone post Harald's e-mail, or PM it to me? It is good to see so many positive references...I have seen a few people selling "whatever porsche engine you want" from Germany, but I think that is far too risky without some good references.

Olivier
Harald Jülicher: automann@freenet.de

Old 01-28-2003, 09:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)

Thanks

Old 01-28-2003, 05:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: