Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

High mileage 2002 cab vs low mileage 2003 cab

Background, I used this board extensively in the past with a 1983 SC I had. I sold that in 2010 and am back in the market.

I have found a blues 2002 Cab with 101k and a 2003 Silver Cab with 18k so both sides of the spectrum at the same dealer.

The old mantra used to be buy as much Porsche as you can afford aka lowest miles newest year and was wondering if the same still applies.

I have read the IMS repair proc and the RMS issue, aka oil change, drive it etc.

Both are in Rockville MD

Thoughts?

I am also searching the for sale page here

Last edited by dbrisson; 05-16-2017 at 03:51 PM..
Old 05-16-2017, 02:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
3.4 Bigger is better

I bought a 2004 996 for my daily driver. The engine has around 60,000 miles and the car has 89,000. After reading and researching the plus and minus of high/low miles. All depends on what service records you have. I am doing the RMS and IMS soon. I liked slightly less miles and good history. The engine was replaced in mine by Porsche at around 30,000 miles. Good luck on what ever you choose. Lots of opinions

04 996 40th Anniversary
88 911 Diamond Blue CE Carrera 3.4 HC3.4 member
2016 Acura RDX
Old 05-16-2017, 03:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Administrator

As Michael suggested, it really has to do with the service history. If the higher mileage seems to have been cared for, go with it or vice-versa. If you're going to pull the trigger on the 996, we highly recommend taking care of the IMS issue as one of the first mods. Please let us know if you have any other questions! I have attached a link to LN Engineering who specialize in this. Best of luck!

LN Engineering IMS Bearing Retrofit Kits - PelicanParts.com
Old 05-16-2017, 03:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Thanks will check records, there are a couple carreras I am looking at also. One has great records with a recent clutch and rms replacement, nothing on ims.

I would be able to do my own work as I feel pretty confident with the right procedure, have full tools air compressor etc.

Definitely will be listening for the noise and hopefully finding a place to do a pre purchase inspection.

Sorry for the errant title was typing from a phone on a business trip

DB

Old 05-16-2017, 03:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: