Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiminod View Post
Are you sure the center sections of the seats are sewn to the side bolsters on your '88? Both my '78 and '84 are not...
They are sewn....on the sides there is enough play to work around the edge, but the top and bottom of each section are flush. Thanks.
1984 924s Nile Green Metallic with bone (totaled it in the snow in Cleveland, Ohio)
1983 911 White with Cherry Red...gave away (not enough time or money to keep it running) in 2001
Old 06-18-2017, 10:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #81 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma View Post
The early 69 cars had a dash channel that you can inlay. I've seen people try to just inlay fabric and the edges didn't look so great. My thought is to wrap a fabric/leather around some kind of card and glue. Then glue the whole assembly into the channel.
That is what I was thinking as well. Once you start weaving you need it glued to a stiffener anyway to maintain tension. I found an interesting method that may be necessary for large areas like a door card. Since it glues as you go it is much better to make it even across a large surface.
How To Make Intrecciato Weave Fabric | Craft Passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma View Post
going to attempt to make my own basketweave '68 door panels because no one makes them in any color but black and vinyl. The lace cutter I have is Neolithic in comparison to yours. How do you like it, works well, easy to use, accurate?
I got their table top cutter - it can be adjusted from 1/8" to 3" strips...uses standard box cutter blades. I am using 3/8" strips and that seems to be working ok. This gives me 10 strips per pull. I have found that changing the blades every 3 or four runs, and not making the strips too narrow helps.

https://www.tandyleather.com/en/product/table-top-lace-cutter

It is hard to line the blades up in the gizmo, but once you do it is very accurate. You need to make sure the leather has NO stretch at all....if it does then the cuts look awful and uneven, BUT if the leather is too thick it doesn't weave well.

Tandy had a bunch of smallish scraps for around 10.00 that I bought to test thicknesses and textures. The learning curve is steep. It is doable with one person, but my strips are much more even when I enlisted a helper to give me some counter tension on the leather.
1984 924s Nile Green Metallic with bone (totaled it in the snow in Cleveland, Ohio)
1983 911 White with Cherry Red...gave away (not enough time or money to keep it running) in 2001
Old 06-18-2017, 11:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #82 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by blpetry View Post
If you want to redo the seats on your daily driver, you could do what I did and install a cheapo seat while you're working on it. . I used this one, just needed to make some simple mounts from flat aluminum. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-g1159-2?seid=srese1&cm_mmc=pla-google-_-shopping-_-srese1-_-summit-racing&gclid=Cj0KCQjwyZjKBRDuARIsAKWQRbjF-0e4KcmIYG3MUbWhEbfzOsZEHPSTyYaLU3V7BRjVFpj-24I5_6MaApaBEALw_wcB&ibanner=MobileSwitchNo

Its comfortable and works well in the car, but is already showing some wear but works fine as a temporary replacement. I'm going to use it as an office chair when I reinstall my repaired seat.
Wow - thanks...great suggestion.
Old 06-18-2017, 11:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #83 (permalink)

Garage
Finally got to my computer and some pics. Really hard to tell on some as the camera compensates and over brightens the look, but a few in the driveway are close to the nice "glow" they give off.

I wired a pigtail from my front marker lights to the 5 watt bulb in the lamp base.

Feel free to ask any questions.

BTW, love what you are doing.
'70 TR6
N of Boston

Last edited by ghamilton; 06-18-2017 at 05:09 PM..
Old 06-18-2017, 05:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #84 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghamilton View Post
Finally got to my computer and some pics. Really hard to tell on some as the camera compensates and over brightens the look, but a few in the driveway are close to the nice "glow" they give off.

I wired a pigtail from my front marker lights to the 5 watt bulb in the lamp base.

They look fantastic. Can you explain what you did?
What do you mean about the pigtail?

What was your source for the conversion - did you change the relay? thanks
Old 06-18-2017, 06:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #85 (permalink)

Thanks for that info. Very helpful. I read the tutorial and I'm gonna go for it. That tabletop lace cutter seems worth it.

Someone mentioned getting a pair of cheap seats. I have a set of leather (I think) seats out of an '86 just laying around that you can have for dirt cheap. Pm me if you want to go that route.
Old 06-19-2017, 07:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #86 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Subbed..

20+ year PCA member

Many Cool Porsches, Projects& Parts, Vintage BMX bikes too

http://www.bvdmotorsports.com
Active Rennlist Member.
http://members.rennlist.com/racerbvd/
See blog for my For Sale & Wanted List.
http://www.914club.com/bbs2/index.php?automodule=blog&blogid=337&
Old 06-19-2017, 07:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #87 (permalink)
Formerly known as Syzygy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghamilton View Post

If you're showing illuminated city lights, here's an early morning shot of mine. Being a Euro market car, it came from the factory with them. I know they look a little bit bright, but the whole headlight lens just kinda glows. Also, it was kind of a overcast dim morning outside and they just seem to stand out.

1987 ROW coupe, Marine blue, with a couple extra goodies.

The cars we love the best are the ones with human traits, warts and all.
Old 06-19-2017, 05:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #88 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks. You guys have pretty headlights I think I will add headlight improvement to my long list of things to do.

Today I fixed my footwell blower motors. My sweet friend shadow jack was on text standby for help. After it took off the foot kick panels, I checked the inline fuse. It had been removed on the passenger side...hmmm..... Wonder why? So I put it in and lifted the levers and voila...burning plastic smell. Removed the motor and freed the fan. It had welded itself together. Greased it and ........wait for it........it works!!!!!

Feeling that the porsche gods were smiling on me I proceeded with the other side. When I disconnected the motor, this time the ductwork disintegrated. I duct taped it together but will need to find a replacement for the larger of the 2 hoses it appears to be a combination of foil and paper. The fuse was present but blown. Replaced it and it works!!!! oops, spoke to soon. Fuse blew - motor was working and fan spinning without resistance.
1. Can I put a 15 amp fuse or should I try to find out what the issue is?
2. Does the AC have any connection to this? it was running at that time...could that have blown the inline fuse?
3. Anyone know a part number for the duct hose? Went to pep boys but they didn't have anything that size.
Ah...the rest of the day I parked this one in the rain while I worked on the queen's outlaw. Much more excitement there.
Old 06-20-2017, 05:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #89 (permalink)

Garage

Old 06-20-2017, 06:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #90 (permalink)

Do not install a larger fuse as this might cause a fire. You will need to find out why it is shorting. Fan motor may have an internal issue. Could be a bad wire(s) or bad ground going to the fan. Bad grounds are notorious in older cars.

The Pelican guys should be able to get you a new duct hose.
Old 06-20-2017, 06:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #91 (permalink)
Banned for Life

Garage
Here is the very easy method to setup your headlight wiring for city lights. No additional relay required.
My City Lights Project

higher wattage low and hi beams need the J West relay sold by our host, and they come with easy to instal instructions.
Old 06-20-2017, 06:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #92 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSBob View Post
Here is the very easy method to setup your headlight wiring for city lights. No additional relay required.
My City Lights Project

higher wattage low and hi beams need the J West relay sold by our host, and they come with easy to instal instructions.
thanks
Old 06-20-2017, 07:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #93 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
Do not install a larger fuse as this might cause a fire. You will need to find out why it is shorting. Fan motor may have an internal issue. Could be a bad wire(s) or bad ground going to the fan. Bad grounds are notorious in older cars.

The Pelican guys should be able to get you a new duct hose.
This car has had plenty ground issues for sure. The PO had a bunch of extra ground wires in weird places like door open switch etc.
thanks
Old 06-20-2017, 07:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #94 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by echecsqueen View Post
This car has had plenty ground issues for sure. The PO had a bunch of extra ground wires in weird places like door open switch etc.
thanks
If I may say "you are one smart cookie," keep up the great work. I do envy your tenacity with owning not only one but two classic Porsche's.
Old 06-20-2017, 07:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #95 (permalink)
Knee Pads are Overrated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by echecsqueen View Post
2. Does the AC have any connection to this? it was running at that time...could that have blown the inline fuse?
No, the footwell blowers only work in conjunction with the heat, which is a completely separate system to the a/c in these cars.
Old 06-20-2017, 07:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #96 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
If I may say "you are one smart cookie," keep up the great work. I do envy your tenacity with owning not only one but two classic Porsche's.
Thanks! I am a lucky girl!
Old 06-20-2017, 07:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #97 (permalink)

The part number for the air duct is 914-572-123-10-OEM. I have a spare one that I bought and didn't use. If you want it, as a fellow VMC car owner, I'll send it to you if you'll pay shipping. PM me if interested.
2017 Chevy Silverado K1500.
Old 06-21-2017, 07:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #98 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks JSR ...we PM'd but both figured since I had a big order coming from pelican, I could add the part cheaper than he could ship it. But really sweet offer - thanks.

This weekend I ordered LEDs for my gauges (the retro yellow ones from Carmagic), new maroon seat belts front and back (seat belts plus) , and am patiently (not) awaiting the arrival of my red square weave. Worked on Tilda too.
Tonight I am installing a battery kill switch so that I can unhook my battery easily and quickly.
Old 06-25-2017, 06:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #99 (permalink)

Garage
Pelican order finally arrived - lots of hoses, seals and fasteners. The work continues
Old 06-28-2017, 08:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #100 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: