Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 3.40 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawknees'Turbo View Post
No prob, Queenie!

Another thing; I'm not sure if you mentioned it in this thread, or one of your other ones, but you said something to the effect that you were having intermittent problems with your lights (possibly other electronics as well?) and that you suspected a short . . . well given the water exposure this car experienced, the problem(s) is more likely due to corrosion on the various ground points (they are all over the car - front trunk, engine bay, cabin, etc.) or on various component connectors. A short causes blown fuses and melted wiring, if no fuse is present on the circuit that shorts to ground.
Which brings up another reminder - the instrument lights are not fused. A good upgrade is to add one:
Fire under dash!

Mark
Old 06-18-2017, 07:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Garage
How would I begin to track the problem down? Specifically?
1984 924s Nile Green Metallic with bone (totaled it in the snow in Cleveland, Ohio)
1983 911 White with Cherry Red...gave away (not enough time or money to keep it running) in 2001
Old 06-18-2017, 08:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
Knee Pads are Overrated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Salvetti View Post
Which brings up another reminder - the instrument lights are not fused. A good upgrade is to add one:
Fire under dash!

Mark
Excellent point (I did the dash fuse light mod a couple of years ago - great piece of mind). The 911 side of the Porsche design team really shat the bed when it comes to following electronics 101, best practices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by echecsqueen View Post
How would I begin to track the problem down? Specifically?
The first step would be to locate the two main wiring harness ground points - one is in the trunk, on the inner fender/tub wall, near the fuse & relay panel. You will see a cluster of brown wires (Porsche used brown insulation for ground wires) with ring-style wire ends that are screwed down to the tub - remove screw/bolt, clean wire ends and tub with sand paper or Scotch Bright pad and re-attach.

Another, similar ground point for the engine wiring harness, and some of the lights at the rear of the car, is on the left wall of the engine bay - near the location for the original fuel filter - difficult to see when trying to locate it the first time. Clean that in the same manner and report back (when you have a chance, buttofcourse ).

If you can not find these, I will take and post some pics tomorrow.
Old 06-18-2017, 08:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
Knee Pads are Overrated!

^^^

You should check and clean the contact points on the fuse panel like that as well (checking fuse condition, too, of course).

Do you own and know how to use a multi-meter? That is a necessary tool to really do any serious wiring troubleshooting - will be glad to help get you started with one, if need be (as will others here) - easy to use once you have a little understanding of how they work.
Old 06-18-2017, 08:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Yes, access the brackets through the trunk. I had my gas tank out at the time and could stand in the hole for easier access. For really difficult bolts I put a drop of kroil on them and waited a few days. ...Voila!

I should've told you to clean the contacts with sandpaper. Oops. Good call Rawknees.
Old 06-19-2017, 08:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Shouldn't be a grounding point on the left (drivers) side of the engine compartment on a 912. 911 yes. The second major ground strap, on the 912 , is at the transmission. Same braided ground wire as the battery with different end. Difficult to see without the car up in the air. Sounds basic, and forgive the suggestion, but check that the headlight switch is turned up to illuminate the instruments. Sometimes the rheostat gets crusty.
1976 912E Sunroof Coupe
2003 Boxster S
Old 06-19-2017, 08:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

This stuff is supposed to be fantastic for cleaning up crusty electrical contacts, grounds, and switches:

https://www.amazon.com/Hosa-D5S-6-DeoxIT-Contact-Cleaner/dp/B00006LVEU/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1497886726&sr=8-3&keywords=contact+cleaner

Mark
Old 06-19-2017, 08:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
Knee Pads are Overrated!

Queenie, per my posts from yesterday, the location of the multi-wire ground point in the trunk, and a multi-meter that is most excellent and fairly reasonably priced (about $70 or so) . . . it's easy to understand and operate and has a very large display so is easy to see.

PS - pay no mind to the Snap-on digital torque wrench - that is a man-only piece of kit!

Old 06-19-2017, 06:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Garage
LOL WELLLLL - I know this sounds crazy, but
I can't find a traditional fuse panel in my outlaw frunk...It seems that there are very few wires and those seem to hook directly to the battery with inline fuses????? Is that possible, or am I missing something. The battery is half the size of my 3.2 battery.

I have a multimeter (actually it belongs to the consort to the queen) but no torque wrench. I will have to "depend on the kindness of strangers" if i need one.

Today I tackled the issue with my fuel lines. Car wouldn't start today so I started with the obvious.
1. yes there is gas in the tank.
2. Glass filter inline in engine bay is half full and pressure gauge reads 0 when cranking engine.
3. lines feel light like they are empty.
So I did what any girl with a taste for excitement would do....bought a can of ether!!

Car tried to start when I sprayed it in the carburetors so I took that as a good sign. Removed the electronic fuel pump from the engine bay. siphoned all the lines (yuck after one taste resorted to a new hand pump, then cleaned the pump filter. Voila...it started!!!
Only 3 trips to the car store.
Drove it around a bit and it seems to be running. Put it in the garage to work on the window and door handle issue. Whew - I didn't blow myself up. Very pleased.
1984 924s Nile Green Metallic with bone (totaled it in the snow in Cleveland, Ohio)
1983 911 White with Cherry Red...gave away (not enough time or money to keep it running) in 2001
Old 06-20-2017, 06:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Garage
It is so damp here right now. Standing water on the floor and 100% humidity...I think I will wait till it dries out a little before I tackle electric. I think I should start with buying a fuse panel - seems to be best approach.
Old 06-20-2017, 06:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)
Knee Pads are Overrated!

^^^

Really nice work getting the fuel/no-run issue figured out - well done!

By the sounds of it, the wiring in your car has been extensively modified . . . does "no traditional fuse panel" also mean that the ground point, to the left of the panel in my pic, is not used? Regardless though, the same principles apply, but you'll need to find the "new" ground points.

You're welcome to borrow my pimptastic torque wrench whenever you want, however, even as boss as it is, it might not be worth the drive to Norf TexAss to put hands on it!
Old 06-20-2017, 06:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)
The Mighty Pieholio

Garage
OMG, you sanitary napkin, thread killer.

Tilda on the left. She's fat and ugly but I loved her.

Old 06-20-2017, 06:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)
Knee Pads are Overrated!

Quote:
It is so damp here right now. Standing water on the floor and 100% humidity...I think I will wait till it dries out a little before I tackle electric. I think I should start with buying a fuse panel - seems to be best approach.
I suggest that you don't buy a fuse panel before taking pics of what you have now so I (and others) can chime in on what you're working with.

Installing a panel, when you don't currently have one to compare to, is a tremendously difficult job (even for people with a lot of experience).

Last edited by Rawknees'Turbo; 06-20-2017 at 06:52 PM..
Old 06-20-2017, 06:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony V View Post
Shouldn't be a grounding point on the left (drivers) side of the engine compartment on a 912. 911 yes. The second major ground strap, on the 912 , is at the transmission. Same braided ground wire as the battery with different end. Difficult to see without the car up in the air. Sounds basic, and forgive the suggestion, but check that the headlight switch is turned up to illuminate the instruments. Sometimes the rheostat gets crusty.
Thanks I will try that. There is no ground in my engine bay that I can see. Please keep all the suggestions coming there is NO suggestion too basic for me. The gauges are not only not lighting up, but the are intermittently not working at all. Odom doesn't turn, but speedo seems to work. Clock is blanked. Oil pressure doesn't move off of top once it turns on but oil light comes on during start. Tach is erratic and sometimes works. All the dials are steamy and have condensation.
Old 06-20-2017, 06:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)
The Mighty Pieholio

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawknees'Turbo View Post
You're welcome to borrow my pimptastic torque wrench whenever you want, however, even as boss as it is, it might not be worth the drive to Norf TexAss to put hands on it!
PM me for a few basics in chivalry.
Old 06-20-2017, 06:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

Garage
Bob and Raw,
You two need to behave on my thread. No pictures of other women - (particularly busty ones), no talking about sanitary napkins, and NO fighting.

The queen has spoken

Last edited by echecsqueen; 06-20-2017 at 06:59 PM..
Old 06-20-2017, 06:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)
Knee Pads are Overrated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Kontak View Post
PM me for a few basics in chivalry.
I always treat you with the utmost chivalry; why play coy now?!?!
Old 06-20-2017, 06:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)
Knee Pads are Overrated!

Quote:
Bob and Raw,
You two need to behave on my thread. No pictures of other women - (particularly busty ones), no talking about sanity napkins, and NO fighting.

The queen has spoken
I can't promise to behave , but I can guarentee you that there will be no actual fighting between Bobasaurous and me; have known Bob for years and consider him one of the best of the bestest (seriously).
Old 06-20-2017, 06:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)
The Mighty Pieholio

Garage
Quote:
Thanks I will try that. There is no ground in my engine bay that I can see. Please keep all the suggestions coming there is NO suggestion too basic for me. The gauges are not only not lighting up, but the are intermittently not working at all. Odom doesn't turn, but speedo seems to work. Clock is blanked. Oil pressure doesn't move off of top once it turns on but oil light comes on during start. Tach is erratic and sometimes works. All the dials are steamy and have condensation.
You need some sort of dry out procedure. Do you have a garage you can literally put a dehumidifier on one of the seats?
Old 06-20-2017, 07:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)
The Mighty Pieholio

Garage
Quote:
no talking about sanitary napkins

The queen has spoken
Grrrrr. It's so effective, tho. OK
Old 06-20-2017, 07:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: