Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 3.40 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
This in particular bothers me. (look at bottom photo I posted last). I thought that the distributer was high voltage (red cap with the black plugs coming out)....to have the coil (capacitor?) next to it with exposed connections seems bad. no?
especially with our open to the elements grill?

Do y'all think I need to put a fuse block in the front or just methodically sift thru the spaghetti factory?
1984 924s Nile Green Metallic with bone (totaled it in the snow in Cleveland, Ohio)
1983 911 White with Cherry Red...gave away (not enough time or money to keep it running) in 2001
Old 06-20-2017, 08:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #61 (permalink)
Knee Pads are Overrated!

Yes, the wire end job on the coil wires is second rate, but not a super big deal - the way it is now works, but it is better if the entire connector is sheathed with shirk-fit wire covering. But regardless, they can not realistically be completely sealed to the elements, so must be periodically checked and cleaned - smearing a little silicone grease on the ends also helps keep corrosion at bay. Were it mine, I would re-do the ends with proper, shrink-fit sheathing at some point, but does not need to be a high priority.

I strongly caution against diving into a "fuse panel install from nothing" project, and first, identify all the wires (what they do/are connected to, are they fused, and if so, where and how/what size fuse) etc. You will likely need to get very familiar with your multi-meter to do this. Lable all wires as you identify them (such as with masking tape that you write on with a Sharpee, or color coded tape, girly girl style, that you write down the color code key in a notebook) . . . you will have to do that anyway, when and if you decide to install a proper fuse panel, and you will then have gained valuable experience before the fuse panel project.

Last edited by Rawknees'Turbo; 06-20-2017 at 08:42 PM..
Old 06-20-2017, 08:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #62 (permalink)

You already have have a fuse panel. It's in the first picture on the previous page. Early 912's are totally different animals than later 911's. Mr. Rawknees has shown you a picture of something you'll not find in your car. There is a location where many of the brown ground wires terminate. It's in the frunk up under the dash on the drivers side. The fuse panel is the rectangular black plastic thing with the screw in the middle of the cover. The wiring is pretty basic. Your gauges have been changed to later ones. The originals would have had green numbers. If the connectors, of the wires on the coil are securely crimped, they're fine.
Go slow and take lots of pictures, to refer back to, as you take things apart.
1976 912E Sunroof Coupe
2003 Boxster S
Old 06-20-2017, 08:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #63 (permalink)
Knee Pads are Overrated!

^^^

Thanks Tony, I keep forgetting that Queenie's car began as a 912.
Old 06-20-2017, 09:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #64 (permalink)
Knee Pads are Overrated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discseven View Post
To wild boars~~~
I'm the better looking one!

Old 06-20-2017, 09:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #65 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony V View Post
You already have have a fuse panel. It's in the first picture on the previous page. Early 912's are totally different animals than later 911's. Mr. Rawknees has shown you a picture of something you'll not find in your car. There is a location where many of the brown ground wires terminate. It's in the frunk up under the dash on the drivers side. The fuse panel is the rectangular black plastic thing with the screw in the middle of the cover. The wiring is pretty basic. Your gauges have been changed to later ones. The originals would have had green numbers. If the connectors, of the wires on the coil are securely crimped, they're fine.
Go slow and take lots of pictures, to refer back to, as you take things apart.
Thank you...I didn't realize that was it....it does look very different than my other one. I am going slow but am anxious to have a working gas gauge, oil pressure gauge and odometer...
1984 924s Nile Green Metallic with bone (totaled it in the snow in Cleveland, Ohio)
1983 911 White with Cherry Red...gave away (not enough time or money to keep it running) in 2001
Old 06-20-2017, 09:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #66 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Show us the underside of your engine lid. 912s have a rain tray under the engine grill that can make rain hats unnecessary.
Old 06-20-2017, 09:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #67 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
These will allow you to drive in the rain.
how do I attach them to the carb intake? I don't see any place to screw into.
Old 06-20-2017, 09:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #68 (permalink)
Knee Pads are Overrated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by echecsqueen View Post
how do I attach them to the carb intake? I don't see any place to screw into.
On the pic of the carburetor, is that a gray colored gasket covering the whole top (that the intake trumpets are screwed down to)? If so, you will probably finds some mounting points (bosses) beneath it. Maybe someone who is more currently familiar with those two barrel Webers can can confirm, however.
Old 06-20-2017, 09:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #69 (permalink)

Like this:
Old 06-20-2017, 09:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #70 (permalink)
Knee Pads are Overrated!

^^^

Pic not working on Google Chrome or IE, but I just remembered that the rain hat assembly works like this:

1) Base plate that attaches to the carb top, beneath the air stacks (held in place by them) - base plate has studs for rain hat on it

2) air filter

3) Rain hat which then sandwiches the filter to the base plate.

Similar to this --->

Old 06-20-2017, 09:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #71 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma View Post
Show us the underside of your engine lid. 912s have a rain tray under the engine grill that can make rain hats unnecessary.

There is nothin' but air between the grill and the carbs....here is a close up of the uninstalled carb intake
Old 06-20-2017, 09:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #72 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawknees'Turbo View Post
^^^

Pic not working on Google Chrome or IE, but I just remembered that the rain hat assembly works like this:
Thank you...that is super helpful
Old 06-20-2017, 09:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #73 (permalink)

What will be SUPER helpful is that you have registered on the 912 bbs. Several members have converted their 912's to type Vi power and can assist sorting things out. Pelican is great for later 911's but is a bit thin on 912 support. Fire away at those folks. It's a treasure trove of 912 experience.
Most members there use real names and many of the top contributors are sticklers for names. Doesn't have to be your handle but adding you name, to the end of posts, will get better responses.
Just noticed:
Get a grommet around that fuel line coming out of the engine tin, near the fuel pump. That's a leak / fire waiting to happen.
1976 912E Sunroof Coupe
2003 Boxster S

Last edited by Tony V; 06-21-2017 at 07:43 AM.. Reason: fuel line issue
Old 06-21-2017, 07:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #74 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony V View Post
What will be SUPER helpful is that you have registered on the 912 bbs. Several members have converted their 912's to type Vi power and can assist sorting things out. Pelican is great for later 911's but is a bit thin on 912 support. Fire away at those folks. It's a treasure trove of 912 experience.
Most members there use real names and many of the top contributors are sticklers for names. Doesn't have to be your handle but adding you name, to the end of posts, will get better responses.
Just noticed:
Get a grommet around that fuel line coming out of the engine tin, near the fuel pump. That's a leak / fire waiting to happen.
OK thanks - will do
Old 06-21-2017, 06:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #75 (permalink)
Knee Pads are Overrated!

Yo', Queen of Orleans, I just wanted to make sure you understood that the rain hats that LJ851 posted a link to require a filter assembly to use them (you use the base and filter but replace the top portion with the hat - the hat does a much better job of keeping the filter dry than the top that those kits usually come with). Just noticed that you can use them over the top of the air cleaner assembly if you want to (aka - can keep the top and then the rain hat goes on over it).

Here's a kit on eBay that has one, center hold down (looks pretty clean - don't know if just the one fastener would allow the top to move around too much, though . . .). Regardless of the "style" you choose, you would need to get a kit that has the tall filter (like this one).

Redline Chrome Air filter fits Weber 40IDF 44IDF or 48 IDF - 3 1/2" tall

Last edited by Rawknees'Turbo; 06-21-2017 at 10:45 PM..
Old 06-21-2017, 10:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #76 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks guys. Will put a rubber grommet in today and order the carb hat kits....i appreciate the link. Will also put shrink tubing on the lines......the crimp is very loose so i would feel better with recrimping and some insulation. With the recent fuel pump issue should i get another one of these as a back up or is this not something that goes out often?

Do our p cars have enough clearance to use the plastic ramp lifts that they sell at auto parts stores ? They are around 10" high and the ramp portion is around 18" .... it might give me a little more clearance than my homemade solution from the raw man [thanks] for getting under the car?
Old 06-22-2017, 08:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #77 (permalink)
The Mighty Pieholio

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by echecsqueen View Post
Do our p cars have enough clearance to use the plastic ramp lifts that they sell at auto parts stores ?
Yes. I have used the metal ones on my 81 which are a wee bit taller. Metal ones like to slide on a smooth concrete floor. The plastic compound ones have a rubber pad that bites.
Old 06-22-2017, 09:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #78 (permalink)

Garage
Hi Raw,
Can you repost the link? You are using a proxy server that obscures the address. Thanks

Hi Bob,
Thanks - will get the plastic ones.
Old 06-22-2017, 10:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #79 (permalink)
Knee Pads are Overrated!

Queenie, I can't figure out how to make the link work, but it is eBay item number 400924067905

You would need to get two of them, obviously.

Also, if you do an eBay search for "Weber air filter kit" other options are displayed (slightly different styles, some with a kit that includes two filter assemblies, etc.). You just have to make sure to get ones made for the IDF Webers (pretty obvious, even just based on pics), and with the tall filter (confirm that 3.5" is tall enough to clear your intake stacks).

Also number two - I bet the previously mentioned rain hats will work better if used in conjunction with the air filter tops - I assume the hats are plastic, and if so, will likely dent downwards when tightened down, and look like shart, if the metal filter tops are not left on to prevent that.

Last edited by Rawknees'Turbo; 06-22-2017 at 10:58 AM..
Old 06-22-2017, 10:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #80 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: