Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Hello
Well since a few days ago I was looking for 3.6L conversion for my 86" and the prices is sky rocket
and it is ways too rich for my blood..
So I decided to up grade my 50,00 miles 3.3L with PMO set up and race cam not sure what size cam one to get , I do have the SSI B&B header and muffler on the car

option maybe 10 to 1 compression piston or stay at 9.5 to 1
or bump to 3.5L piston size....
question twin plug it is worth for street .I dont race for now maybe perhaps in the future
thanks
Old 11-09-2017, 11:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)

What you are talking about building will be very expensive. Your question may be better asked in the engine building forum.
Old 11-10-2017, 06:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)

Garage
Both options are going to be expensive. The 3.6 swap is a bit more work than the older engines. But a 3.6 with some "bolt-on" upgrades can give you 300-320 hp with plenty of torque.
Old 11-10-2017, 06:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by safe View Post
Both options are going to be expensive. The 3.6 swap is a bit more work than the older engines. But a 3.6 with some "bolt-on" upgrades can give you 300-320 hp with plenty of torque.
yes I agreed...But as least I know about my motor is top notch condition since rebuilt and ready for up grade ...I rather have the 3.6L, over here 3.6L is very high demand in the USA.....unless I can find reasonable 3.6L price...
Old 11-10-2017, 07:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankoporsche View Post
yes I agreed...But as least I know about my motor is top notch condition since rebuilt and ready for up grade ...I rather have the 3.6L, over here 3.6L is very high demand in the USA.....unless I can find reasonable 3.6L price...
If you want to maintain your 86's motronic system, you should search archives for some of the 3.5 projects that Sal Carceller has worked on (sal's also developed an alternative to the NLA audial splitter necessary for twin plugging a motronic 3.2) -- these should provide you with a pretty clear "shopping list" and help you with alternatives. Since Sal already has base tunes for these setups, getting them running/dialed in should be fairly straightforward.

As the increased displacement in a 3.5 is accomplished by increasing bore, the wider piston does benefit from twin plugging, which would allow more advance to be run. Single plugging can work with proper parts selection/tuning, but wouldn't provide the same "bump" as a twinplug.
Old 11-10-2017, 08:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrin View Post
If you want to maintain your 86's motronic system, you should search archives for some of the 3.5 projects that Sal Carceller has worked on (sal's also developed an alternative to the NLA audial splitter necessary for twin plugging a motronic 3.2) -- these should provide you with a pretty clear "shopping list" and help you with alternatives. Since Sal already has base tunes for these setups, getting them running/dialed in should be fairly straightforward.

As the increased displacement in a 3.5 is accomplished by increasing bore, the wider piston does benefit from twin plugging, which would allow more advance to be run. Single plugging can work with proper parts selection/tuning, but wouldn't provide the same "bump" as a twinplug.
I will look into this ..Thanks
Old 11-10-2017, 08:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]
GOM (Grumpy Old Man)

As someone that recently did a 3.6 conversion, I might provide a cautionary tale. If I had to do it all over again, I would have just rebuilt my 2.7 and done some upgrades to it (EFI, bigger displacement). Your original engine (depending on condition) is a viable option and most importantly it is plug and play versus all the conversion bits required for a 3.6. The added complexity of the 3.6 conversion introduces so many variables and thus opportunity for problems/issues/added cost.

I bought an engine that was advertised as rebuilt but in actuality it was not and needed to be rebuilt. Even if you get lucky, do your due diligence and get a decent 3.6 engine, the time and money required to do the conversion can be daunting when all is said and done.

It all depends on what you want. The 3.6 will provide more power out of the box and you can only go up from there with 300+ hp being possible. With my 2.7 I would be luck to get 220hp but honestly, that would have been completely acceptable to me since my car is so light any way. And I would have saved about $15K in the process, plus all the time required for the conversion install and troubleshooting. If I didn't need to rebuild my 3.6, the calculus would have been much different and I probably would feel better about the ROI on the 3.6 conversion.

Basically, if you are going to go down the route of a 3.6, do the best you can to ensure you get a good motor. As someone mentioned earlier, they are expensive and the last thing you want to do is add the cost of a rebuild on top of that. Good luck.
Old 11-10-2017, 08:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)

No matter what engine you buy it will be an unknown. I may sell my 3.6 in the spring, as I may get a Euro 3.0 or similar. My engine is very low mileage, it has been raced and has some expensive modifications. I will be nothing short of 100% honest, but that does not mean that it will not have issues - it is a used motor.

I have seen some engines sell without leak down tests, not running, limited history. These are things that will add to the risk. However, you may get lucky.
Old 11-10-2017, 10:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)

Garage
Selling your old engine to offset the cost of the 3.6L purchase is step one, its worth something.
The 3.6L Metzger motor bottom ends are WAY more reliable than any other air cooled engine design by Porsche.
By going into the project knowing a 3.6L top end is part of the scope is being realistic.
The ability to simply add a SW chip and get yet more POWER did it for me.
Upon completion you have a hybrid car with the best air cooled engine ever designed that you can beat on very hard as I have done for multiple track seasons
Its not rocket science as is setting up PMO's

869#
AKA "Gemma"
Old 11-10-2017, 10:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)

Garage
either 964 or 993 have robust bottom ends but so does a 3.2, the difference is more in the heads and engine management
3.2 has 49/41.5mm valves 40/38mm valves, and V1 motronic 231hp@5900
964 has 49/42.5mm valves 41.5/38mm ports and upgraded Motronic w/ knock sensors 250hp@6100 228lb-ft @4800
993nvr has 49/42.5 valves 43/39mm ports and an even better Motronic w/ hot wire mass flow vs earlier barn door 272hp@6100 242lb-ft@5000
993vr has 50/43.5mm valves 43/39mm ports w/ the variable intake flexibility, 285hp@6100 209lb-ft@5250(max Row hi comp version)

Unseen are hidden things like ceramic port liners that greatly reduce head temps, the 993 heads use RR530 alloy which is much more heat stable this was only used on 930s previously, 993 has an efficient exhaust stock, 993 has zero maintenance hyd lifters etc.
Old 11-10-2017, 02:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #50 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: