Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

3.6L transplant guide

Hi Team. I just bought a '97 V-Ram motor to transplant into my 1987 Carrera. I have an experienced Porsche mechanic who will do the work, but he's not done this swap before. So rather than pay him to figure it out, he asked me to do some research for him before he starts.

I already know I will need to modify my A/C system, but how exactly?

The motor I bought comes with wiring harness, DME, stock exhaust, and a clutch and flywheel supposedly ready to bolt up to a G50. So now what?

What parts are required or advised for the installation? Who sells them? Who are the experts my guy can call if he needs a hand? Are there tips or pitfalls you can share?

What mods should I consider? At this point, I'm thinking about a lightweight flywheel, aftermarket exhaust, and maybe a re-flash. Do you have any specific recommendations in these areas?

Any other suggestions or observations are appreciated!

Steve Yeatts
Chapel Hill, NC
Old 06-20-2017, 11:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Administrator

There are two main vendors who sell the kits for this swap.

Instant-G

and

Patrick Motorsports
Old 06-20-2017, 12:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Thanks Jack! Keep the cards and letters coming!
Old 06-20-2017, 01:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Instant G is not that far from you. You could drop it off and drive it out a few days later....Spend some time on their website.
1962 XKE Roadster (sold)
19 motorcycles
Old 06-20-2017, 01:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I can't have Instant G do the install because of the logistics. I'd have to get the motor to them and then get my 3.2 back home somehow. But I'll remember them the next time I do this �� I did check out their website. It looks like they sell complete installations but not individual parts. I'll call them though. Has anyone actually worked with Instant G? What about PMS?

Will anyone comment on performance upgrades?
Old 06-20-2017, 02:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Administrator

They sell the parts. Or certainly they did. I've been driving a 3.6 swap with Instant-G components for 16 years, now.
Old 06-20-2017, 02:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Garage
I purchased a 3.6L from Steve @ Instant G in April 2016 and put it in my 80SC. Install instructions worked perfect. Have gone through many track days happily since with no problems.
I liked how he dyno tests his rebuilt motors in a test mule car before delivery, this process found a defective injector in my motor, cost me time, but it was right when I got it

869#
AKA "Gemma"
Old 06-20-2017, 02:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to blockhed
You can always ship your motor. I am in NJ an had a shop in Va, Bergman Autowerks do it since no one locally was interested, was it super simple no but it can be done and David did an amazing job and his communication skills were superb. Make sure you plan ahead because Patrick Motorsports don't always have part in stock, Steve seems like a great guy and always responds to emails asap. We did a 95 3.6 into a 74 911. Enjoy it'll be night and day.
Old 06-21-2017, 05:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
I did one w/ Patrick and one w/ Timmons, I'd go w/ Timmons if I was to do it again.

Plan on upgrading the oil cooler to a twin fender mount or stock fender & valance mount

The biggest issue is likely to be the immobilizer, which will require a reflash of the DME, assuming it's a '97 US motor or a new chip if its a '97 RoW motor
Old 06-21-2017, 06:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

I know Steve / instant g, He's about 4 miles from our shop and I've been to his. He has all the parts and knowledge to help you.
Old 06-21-2017, 06:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
+1 for Steve at Instant-G.
I used his excel spread sheet to pick and choose what options I wanted.
I installed a '96 3.6 in my SC in 2012.
The main issue I had was using the '96 DME as it is the first year with OBDII and all components are soldered in and not easily altered.
I ended up sending it to FVD in Germany and they sent it to Steve so he could test it before I put it in the car.
It has been working flawlessly since.
Here's my thread with lots of info on the conversion.
Finally registered with Pelican- Introduction
Old 06-21-2017, 06:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

I purchased a motor and parts necessary for conversion from Instant G a few years ago. It was basically plug and play. The swap was completed in my garage in a weekend with the help of a few friends.

You'll definitely need a bigger or multiple oil coolers. I could never get the RS heat tube to fit correctly. IIRC the 993 exhaust will interfere with your oil tank, so you'll have to come up with another solution. Not sure if Steve Wong can bypass the immobilizer, but my chip from him works perfectly.
Old 06-21-2017, 07:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
CPT KAOS

Garage
+1 for Steve also. I did my car with his bits, I work on another that was swapped with his kit, and I am doing a 72 now with his kit and Al Kozmal's ITB/Megasquirt. Steve is very knowledgeable and extremely helpful. His kit left nothing to the imagination.
Erik- RGruppe #743
1980 SportsPurpose 911SC "CPT KAOS"
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/889856-my-new-911sc-journey-get.html
Old 06-21-2017, 07:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Certified Porschephile

Garage
+1 for Steve, even if the swap is being done elsewhere.

He's been a willing resource as I plan my 3.2 (or 3.6) conversion, and I'm not even a customer yet. He's just willing to share his knowledge; I can't imagine how much time he seems to just give to people who don't end up purchasing from him. Access to customer support is invaluable; once you purchase parts, will the vendor walk you all the way through months after they've cashed your check? I have no doubts Steve will.

Steve has definitely earned my business when I'm ready to purchase.
Old 06-21-2017, 11:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Eng-o-neer

I recall a lot of 993s stalling out due to lightweight flywheels, but it may be fixable with a chip. I haven't looked into it much, but something to be aware of.

The 993 mufflers won't fit on the right side of the car (both headers/exchangers are fine). Someone will have to do something a bit custom with a muffler that can sit behind the motor as if it were a 3.2. Mine is louder than I like, and I've wondered about having the left side of a 993 muffler installed in addition to the banana-looking thing that is currently there.

The 993 airbox is usable, but you have to cut parts of the airbox top off to fit behind the hinges.

Having just a single fender cooler up front will be dicey, though you might be able to get away with it depending on where/how you drive. My 3.6 car has a center-mounted oil cooler that I intend to eliminate, and I'm hoping that installing monster fans on the right fender cooler will be enough to compensate (it currently has none). I'm much more concerned about overheating at idle in traffic than I am with overheating at wide open throttle, but my car never sees a track anymore.

My car has a 915 and a '95 3.6 and they knocked a bit of extra space in the interior to make room above it. I'm not sure how the G50 and varioram plumbing will affect that, but another thing to be aware of.

It is a very fun setup, that is for sure.
Old 06-21-2017, 01:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
An RS fly wheel and a chip will wake up the engine, that is otherwise a bit lazy.

In my transplant I'm in the process of switching from stock Motronic with barn-door air flow meter to VEMS using TPS and MAP. It's a PnP kit from Raceboy on this forum.
Hopefully I can get the last stuff done this coming weekend.
Old 06-21-2017, 02:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by safe View Post
An RS fly wheel and a chip will wake up the engine, that is otherwise a bit lazy.

In my transplant I'm in the process of switching from stock Motronic with barn-door air flow meter to VEMS using TPS and MAP. It's a PnP kit from Raceboy on this forum.
Hopefully I can get the last stuff done this coming weekend.
That would be true if the subject was a 964 or 993, but the stock '87 flywheel that came w/ the g50s was the l/w single mass design that was adapted to the 993RS/CS.

note that a regular 993RS still used the heavy dual mass design also not all 964RS used the single mass flywheel.

also neither a 964RS nor 993RS chip would be applicable to the Bosch 5.2 Motronic used in US '97 993
Old 06-21-2017, 03:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
GOM (Grumpy Old Man)

Whomever you choose, I highly recommend buying a conversion kit with all the bits pre-assembled. Apparently, Steve's kit also comes with instructions. If you are averse to buying a kit, there are numerous 3.6 conversion threads you can read to piecemeal the solution and parts required. Check out my build thread. There is a lot of info there, including the links I referenced for my conversion. Good luck.
Old 06-21-2017, 03:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Verburg View Post
That would be true if the subject was a 964 or 993, but the stock '87 flywheel that came w/ the g50s was the l/w single mass design that was adapted to the 993RS/CS.

note that a regular 993RS still used the heavy dual mass design also not all 964RS used the single mass flywheel.

also neither a 964RS nor 993RS chip would be applicable to the Bosch 5.2 Motronic used in US '97 993
OK, the 87 flywheel could be reused, didn't think about that.

The 964 RS touring might have user a duel mass flywheel, but that is quite an unusual car!

A custom mapping would be the right way, an of-the-shelf mapping for the modifications you've done would be option number 2.
Old 06-21-2017, 11:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

I have known Steve Timmons for years. He practically invented this stuff. No question. He is your go-to guy for this stuff.
2006 Kawasaki Ninja 250, 1983 Suzuki GS1100E
1965 Suzuki k15 Hillbilly, 1975 Suzuki GT750
Old 06-22-2017, 04:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: