Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
No issue with thicker washers, as long as thread bites, you are good. Schnorr washers are a good idea, my SC didn't have them, and I lost an axle one day when it came unbolted :-0

Not sure if factory used lock washers or not, mine didn't have them though.
Old 09-18-2017, 12:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Location: Placerville, CA.... You know, the only place on Highway 50 between Sacramento and Lake Tahoe the you find signal lights. Above the fog most of the time and I can see the stars of the Milky Way 8 out of 10 nights. Kinda cool.....
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by universeman View Post
No issue with thicker washers, as long as thread bites, you are good. Schnorr washers are a good idea, my SC didn't have them, and I lost an axle one day when it came unbolted :-0

Not sure if factory used lock washers or not, mine didn't have them though.

Ok, thanks. I had a feeling I was overthinking things but I wanted to make sure. I know it all comes down to thread bite, but I wanted to make sure because of what exactly you experienced.....yikes!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1978 911SC Targa
Working Projects: 1968 912
Old 09-18-2017, 01:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
Schleprock

Send a message via Yahoo to KTL
The washers are indeed fairly thin and that normally wouldn't be an issue with using the original CV screws. But in some cases the bolts have marginal thread engagement and so it's a good idea to get a screw that's another 5mm longer. Nothing wrong with having the screw peek out the back of the drive flange by a tiny amount.

Also worth noting, I think the Nord-Lock washer you have pictured there is only one of the pair that makes up the complete washer system. Take a look here and you'll see they're a pair of washers that have inner wedges to lock together.

Nord-Lock wedge-locking washers | Secure your critical bolted joints with the original lock washer from the bolting experts

So adding the second washer makes it thick enough that you probably should use a longer screw.
Old 09-20-2017, 06:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

If you're ordering longer bolts, pick up 2-3 75ish mm bolts to act as locating studs (cut off heads and slot). Not sure if that was already covered in this thread.
Old 09-20-2017, 07:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: