Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Eng-o-neer

Cool Adapting a Carrera front valance for a 930 spoiler

As part of my increasingly involved front end restoration, I need to a 930 spoiler mounted to the Carrera valance. As purchasing a 930 valance proved fruitless, I figured what the hell, I'll just cut the one I happen to have.

My approach was to err on the side of caution, so I cut away more and more in steps, marking and using a jigsaw each time. Step 1, line up the spoiler and make some rough marks.

I marked conservatively and cut. I didn't cut enough away, but it made it much easier to estimate where the cut should be. Ultimately, this cut isn't critical. You mostly just want to be sure there is enough metal around to drill holes for the spoiler studs. The rest is hidden.

A this point, I just trimmed away until there was room for the spoiler to slide over. Once I was confident I had the the edge trimmed pretty well, I smoothed over the edges with a drill and grinding bit.

To get a good estimation of where to drill the spoiler stud holes, I globbed some Loctite on the tips of the studs and pressed them against the valance in the position they wanted to be in, then just drilled the spots where there was Loctite on the valance.

In retrospect, I probably should have waited until it was installed on the car. I believe the final location of those bolt holes will be determined by how everything bolts up to the fenders and body. That's the next step, once I get this thing attached properly.
Old 07-20-2017, 03:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Eng-o-neer

After getting one side installed, I noticed something very useful: one of the holes in the spoiler and valance line up as from the factory. This hole makes for a great reference point to measure from when making cuts.

I also found a reamer helpful for holes that required some precision.

Old 07-27-2017, 06:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Eng-o-neer

If you look closely, you can see a flaw in the way the spoiler mates up on the corners. It might be solvable by drilling an additional hole and installing a fastener in this location to snug things up a bit, but I have bigger fish to fry at the moment:

Old 07-31-2017, 06:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: