Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Upon startup the sport muffler, V2.1 sounded great! Plenty of volume but surprisingly not too loud when standing behind the engine. When revved by hand I do get a nice, but mild raspy sound...terrific!

OK, now for the road...at cruise RPM, say between 2,000 and 3,200 RPM, the volume inside the car is pretty loud with all windows down; with windows up, not so loud; it is not offensive but it fills the cabin with a "loud note." I would not call this a drone sound, but I am not a sound engineer either. As soon as I exceed 3,200 RPM the "loud note" goes away and a pleasing and quieter tone is heard...sneaking around a quiet neighborhood would be difficult. From 3,200 to 5,000 RPM there is a very nice throaty sound, a sound common to the early 911's, especially those with mechanical injection, spectacular!

When completely lifting at moderate throttle openings (3,000 to 4,000 RPM) I do not hear much of that decelerating gurgle that you will hear with a Dansk Sport, but more of a mild gurgle sound coming from the twin outlets...this was quite faint from inside...if standing on the street that sound is likely more apparent.

When feathering/lifting the throttle slightly, like in a corner, I do hear and enjoy that subtle "burble" sound that you get with any slightly open exhaust system....this is nice! With this version of the Sport Muffler combined with my modified inlet (no snorkel) there is a whole new sound connection with the motor. In third, fourth or fifth gears anything over 5,000 RPM, well you best be on a road course.

Overall this is a good sound but is pretty loud in the cabin 'tween 2,000 and 3,200 RPM. The effort was well worth the while. I would like to have a Dansk sport to do a direct comparison. I hope to make a drive by video and will post this when I do.

Last edited by speedracer54; 07-30-2018 at 01:10 PM.. Reason: to add more descript information
Old 06-21-2018, 07:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #61 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedracer54 View Post
The patches are now welded into place...hope they last...
wow beautiful welds !
Old 06-21-2018, 01:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #62 (permalink)

Sport Muffler V 2.1 Illustration

I had hoped to place this image at the beginning of my photo journey...oh well. I created this illustration in that it may be helpful to others having the notion to attempt such an undertaking as modifying a stock into a sport muffler.

Last edited by speedracer54; 06-26-2018 at 02:37 PM.. Reason: to add more info
Old 06-26-2018, 02:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #63 (permalink)
cycling has-been

Thanks to all the posters in this thread, I've finished my 912 E custom muffler.
Started as a 914 stainless unit from Sierra Madre Collection, (via Mittlemotor in Hamburg).
The max separation I could get between pipes is 4 inches due to the location of the internal pressure relief chamber.
Bill K

Old 07-18-2018, 03:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #64 (permalink)

Nice thread. Looking for drone reduction suggestions

I am working with this old home made muffler I picked up from a 914 world member. Sounds great, price was right, Throttle response seems improved but .....the drone is horrendous.

However I am addicted to the center twin pipe look on my 914-6 ....so looks like a welding project.

So Blee, what do you attribute the reduction in drone to in your version 2?? This muffler appears to have a common center section, my first thought is to segregate the two. What do you think?

Last edited by gereed75; 07-24-2018 at 09:06 AM..
Old 07-24-2018, 08:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #65 (permalink)
Registered?

Garage
Wow, that is a...unique muffler! From what little I know about sound waves and frequencies, I have read that having more back-pressure and chambers will help reduce droning. You won't know until you tear into it, but it would be interesting to see the innerts of that thing - it may just be hollow.

Old 07-24-2018, 03:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #66 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: