Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nux View Post
You'll be very happy with your Bitz EFI conversion. I personally like the "clean look", and I believe part of the very improved throttle response is from deleting the whole metering plate system.

Conversion is easy with engine in car. Simply unbolt all intake runners and lift the whole thing out. BUT: Be carefull when you pull the intake runners - there seems to be a very strong gravitational pull towards the cylinders for washers and such.......
For the stock look, you remove the entire metering plate, so shouldn't be any real obstruction in the intake path.

1977 911S Targa Chocolate Brown
Old 08-20-2017, 12:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

[QUOTE=rwest;9707438]
Any chance you can weld an O2 bung on?
/QUOTE]

I can't weld, sorry. I have headers so I just pulled the header -> muffler connector section off and brought it to Midas to have it welded. Sorry!
Old 08-20-2017, 01:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwest View Post
Just going with fuel to start, I don't think ignition gives as much improvement for the cost. I understand that the Megasquirt can be upgraded to ignition at a later date.
After you sort fuel, I highly encourage ignition.

There are a lot of gains to be made in overall driveability once you have a good ignition map.

Should be able to pull over 30 MPG's at highway speeds. I do on my 3.4.
Old 08-20-2017, 01:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Garage
Rutager, look for an old-skool muffler/exhaust shop...rare but they still exist. Then drive your car there and have them install a bung with the car on a lift. Another idea: add a cat-delete pipe...they can be had $100-150 used and most have the bung in the right place already, if not take to that local muffler shop. John
Old 08-20-2017, 02:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeffries View Post
Rutager, look for an old-skool muffler/exhaust shop...rare but they still exist. Then drive your car there and have them install a bung with the car on a lift. Another idea: add a cat-delete pipe...they can be had $100-150 used and most have the bung in the right place already, if not take to that local muffler shop. John
John,

My 77 doesn't have the cat, or pipe and after I did my last test drive something failed or broke suddenly and car started backfiring out the tailpipe. After gingerly driving the couple miles home I stuck the LM-2 on the tailpipe and was running 17+AFR, so I don't want to risk engine damage, so either I take the chance of breaking an exhaust stud removing the exhaust that hasn't been off in my 27 years of ownership, or I hire a mobile welder. Breaking an exhaust stud would probably cost more than the mobile weld and set me back weeks, so that's why I'm going to hire the welder.

I actually have hired one a couple times at work, so might try him, older farmer who comes into town every once and awhile, does great work and isn't too expensive, maybe a couple hundred tops.

Rutager

Old 08-20-2017, 02:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tippy View Post
After you sort fuel, I highly encourage ignition.

There are a lot of gains to be made in overall driveability once you have a good ignition map.

Should be able to pull over 30 MPG's at highway speeds. I do on my 3.4.
Tippy,

I had briefly, very briefly thought about doing the Rassant kit, but as nice as it is, for the amount I drive the car, I couldn't justify the extra cost. Not completely off the table, but for now no ignition. Who knows what the future holds!

Just for giggles, can these EFI/EI set ups do cruise control too? Seems like it wouldn't be too difficult to wire up and have the controls tell the Megasquirt what to do?

Rutager

Old 08-20-2017, 02:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Garage
I'm running MS2 on a 3.0 with a Carrera manifold. Be aware that you'll need adapter blocks between the manifold and the heads. The Carrera manifold is 40mm diameter but I think the 77 heads have a 34mm - you will need adapter blocks to do this transition. If you have the $ Turbokraft makes the adapters for $274.

Looking forward to hear how it goes.

Mark
Old 08-20-2017, 03:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

Quote:
Tippy,

I had briefly, very briefly thought about doing the Rassant kit, but as nice as it is, for the amount I drive the car, I couldn't justify the extra cost. Not completely off the table, but for now no ignition. Who knows what the future holds!

Just for giggles, can these EFI/EI set ups do cruise control too? Seems like it wouldn't be too difficult to wire up and have the controls tell the Megasquirt what to do?

Rutager
You know, I honestly don't know. I'll take a quick Google search look
Old 08-20-2017, 03:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marwil View Post
I'm running MS2 on a 3.0 with a Carrera manifold. Be aware that you'll need adapter blocks between the manifold and the heads. The Carrera manifold is 40mm diameter but I think the 77 heads have a 34mm - you will need adapter blocks to do this transition. If you have the $ Turbokraft makes the adapters for $274.

Looking forward to hear how it goes.

Mark
Thanks Mark,

They slippery slope is not going to claim another victim- I figure the Carrera intake plus adaptor would add about $800 and additional complications to the project, so I won't be going that route.

Old 08-20-2017, 03:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

In a very quick search, it sounds like you use a VSS (vehicle speed sensor) to make it work.
Old 08-20-2017, 04:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tippy View Post
In a very quick search, it sounds like you use a VSS (vehicle speed sensor) to make it work.
Hook to speedometer maybe?

Well, anyways just a curiosity for another year.

Old 08-21-2017, 03:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Garage
Okay, here we go, got out to the garage for a couple hours here after work and I think disconnected everything, only thing left is a partial drop to pull it off as a unit.

There are 5 electrical plugs to unhook: WUR, cold start valve, airflow safety switch, AAR and the little black disc near the WUR, I think TTV?

Old 08-21-2017, 03:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Garage
Very important to get every fastener collected as they will end up in the intake of an open valve- guaranteed.

I have this extending tool with a magnet tip, show here with a washer that won't end up in the engine.

Old 08-21-2017, 04:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

Garage
Here are a couple tools I found very useful: the 12mm wrench with socket end loosened up the farthest nut on #6 intake runner- I presented it under the #4 runner from the fan lump, slipped in under all the runners and got it easily on the nut and was able to get enough turn to loosen so I could get it off easily with several extensions and knuckles.

The 17mm offset wrench worked great to loosen the fuel line on the back of the fuel distributor. It has two different offsets so you can get a bit of turn then flip wrench and so forth.

Old 08-21-2017, 04:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Tippy,

Rutager
For reference, the Infinity does not control cruise control as it is intended for race vehicles only, not sure what the Megasquirt is capable of. The Link/Vi-Pec ECU's have the capability of doing cruise control but only for DBW vehicles...
3.2SSt (JE 98mm 9.5:1 pistons, 964 Oil Pump, 964 Camshafts, ARP Rod Bolts, Big Port SC Heads, 3.2 Carrera Intake Manifold, ID725's, B&B Turbo Headers modified to T4 flange, Tial 44mm Wastegate, TurboSmart RacePort, Borg Warner S360, AEM Infinity 506, E85)
Old 08-21-2017, 04:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

Garage
Appears like the Bitz kit will arrive tomorrow, probably won't dig into it too much right away, need to remove the entire CIS to prep runners and other items for reuse.

Being curious, I will be interested in seeing if find any obvious defects that would have caused the sudden lean condition.

Old 08-21-2017, 04:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)

Garage
You won't need to partially drop the engine to pull the CIS. Once everything is unbolted - you simply lift it out, while turning it anti-clockwise. You'll have to remove the rubber boots covering the metering unit and possibly the bracket on the throttle body. But thats it.
Old 08-21-2017, 04:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nux View Post
You won't need to partially drop the engine to pull the CIS. Once everything is unbolted - you simply lift it out, while turning it anti-clockwise. You'll have to remove the rubber boots covering the metering unit and possibly the bracket on the throttle body. But thats it.
Thanks, I did the partial drop to install, so just figured I would do it again, but heck any time saved is good. Think I got everything disconnected, will double check and go easy.

Old 08-21-2017, 04:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by '76 911S 3.0 View Post
For reference, the Infinity does not control cruise control as it is intended for race vehicles only, not sure what the Megasquirt is capable of. The Link/Vi-Pec ECU's have the capability of doing cruise control but only for DBW vehicles...
Good point, I guess you need something to move the throttle, well it was just something that sparked my curiosity. Thanks for the info.

Old 08-21-2017, 04:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)

That wrench with the socket on the end looks really great. Got to get one of those! Enjoy the process. I remember when I took my engine out last year I had a magnetic extension tool in my hand as often as a wrench.
Old 08-21-2017, 05:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: