Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameel View Post
That wrench with the socket on the end looks really great. Got to get one of those! Enjoy the process. I remember when I took my engine out last year I had a magnetic extension tool in my hand as often as a wrench.
Hi Jameel,

Snap-on makes them and I thought they looked real useful and just plan cool, although up until now, I haven't used them much. I bought all the usual sizes. The intake bolts are 12mm.

1977 911S Targa Chocolate Brown
Old 08-22-2017, 12:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)

Garage
Bitz kit came in the mail today.

I decided to put all of the new stuff in a box and weigh it. 12.8lbs. I'll try and remember to weigh the stuff I permanently remove and see what the difference is. That cast iron FD sits real high, removing ought to be good for improved handling and oodles of HP!

Old 08-22-2017, 03:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)

Garage
CIS is removed- total time about 2 hours and 45 minutes at a casual pace. I did do a partial drop, there just wasn't enough room to pull it out. Drop was included in the total time above.

No "smoking gun" airbox looked great, no split or loose hoses. If I get bored, I may test each component and see if any were stuck open like the AAR, which you need to still use on the Bitz, although it sounds like you can buy another off the shelf part for a different brand of car and plumb it in instead.

I did overlook several thing that needed disconnecting, which is why you never manhandle stuff, I checked around back as I was pulling it out and saw a second fuel line on the FD, fuel line on cold start and the throttle spring, which attaches to an intake runner and then goes to the throttle plate.

Old 08-22-2017, 04:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)

Garage
There she is, next step is taking off anything that isn't going to be used.

The injector sleeves need to be removed for the ones in the kit that old the electronic injectors- but, but, I spend so much time replacing the old ones last spring! Should go faster this time around.

Old 08-22-2017, 04:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)

Garage
Be sure to check all those hard-to-reach parts for oil leaks while you're in there...
Old 08-22-2017, 06:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fanaudical View Post
Be sure to check all those hard-to-reach parts for oil leaks while you're in there...
Good point, I did replace many of the possible leaking spots last spring- the breather hose was saturated with oil!

Old 08-22-2017, 06:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]
ROW '78 911 Targa

Garage
Be sure to seal up and tape off the connectors for the WUR, Blower motor, vac switch, TTS and CSV as they will remain energized. The AAR power you need to keep is tied in to the WUR and Vac switch wiring, so don't go cutting things off.

Once you have it all up and running with your favorite tune, you may become a little bored with it starting like a modern EFI car. Mine has been fault free for the past 6 years. Just jump in, turn the key and go.
Old 08-22-2017, 07:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmy2 View Post
Be sure to seal up and tape off the connectors for the WUR, Blower motor, vac switch, TTS and CSV as they will remain energized. The AAR power you need to keep is tied in to the WUR and Vac switch wiring, so don't go cutting things off.

Once you have it all up and running with your favorite tune, you may become a little bored with it starting like a modern EFI car. Mine has been fault free for the past 6 years. Just jump in, turn the key and go.
Yes, I'll make sure to tape off and secure all the extra wires; planned on leaving them in place and boxing up the other CIS components in case someone after me wanted to return to CIS- can't see why, but the collector market is weird that way.

Or I suppose I could take the whole harness out, put it in the box too and have a skilled guy make me one that just has what I need- what is the cost for a Bitz only harness?

Thanks,
Rutager

Old 08-23-2017, 01:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)
ROW '78 911 Targa

Garage
Cost for a new engine harness will depend on how you want it built. Wrapped in tape or sheathed in FR Fiberglass. Add wiring to tie in to Bitz wiring etc. E-mail or PM me with a phone number and good times to call you.
Old 08-23-2017, 10:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Cost for a new engine harness will depend on how you want it built. Wrapped in tape or sheathed in FR Fiberglass. Add wiring to tie in to Bitz wiring etc. E-mail or PM me with a phone number and good times to call you.
Dennis, I'll need to dig into it some more to see if I want to pull the old harness out or not.

Are all the CIS connectors on the 14 pin, or do some come for another harness?

Thanks.

Old 08-23-2017, 02:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #50 (permalink)
ROW '78 911 Targa

Garage
For your '77 engine harness CIS and blower motor components:
Blower motor power (yellow/black) and WUR/AAR/vac switch power wire (red/white) are from 14 pin connector.
Grounds (brown) for all above are routed to the Alternator.

The fuel pump safety switch wire (brown/black) comes out beside the 14 pin in a single connector.

Cold start injector wiring (yellow) runs from 14 pin to injector and TTS. Then Red/black and yellow go from TTS to injector

Most wires mentioned go back and forth in the harness to their desired locations.

Ignition, remote VR and tach signal wiring run over to the CDI area.

Last edited by timmy2; 08-23-2017 at 03:22 PM.. Reason: TTS wiring
Old 08-23-2017, 03:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #51 (permalink)

Garage
I've seen examples of Dennis' harness work in person - it's very good.
Old 08-23-2017, 08:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #52 (permalink)
ROW '78 911 Targa

Garage
Personally, when I installed my Bitz kit, it was a couple of years before I even thought about building harnesses.
My install has the original CIS connectors all taped up and tucked out of the way.

That is why I mentioned it in this thread. No problems so far with my 39 yr old engine harness.
I will be changing it out this winter if I can find the time to work on my own stuff!
Old 08-23-2017, 09:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #53 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Personally, when I installed my Bitz kit, it was a couple of years before I even thought about building harnesses.
My install has the original CIS connectors all taped up and tucked out of the way.

That is why I mentioned it in this thread. No problems so far with my 39 yr old engine harness.
I will be changing it out this winter if I can find the time to work on my own stuff!
The shoemakers kids are all barefoot! Always hard to make time to do your own when you're doing a business.

That's what I'll do at this point, make it all work and then decide on what I might want to do for a harness, who knows, I might want to add sensors or EI and that would mean extra wires too.

Old 08-24-2017, 01:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #54 (permalink)

Garage
Got back into it with a few fun and possibly worthless data points: the complete intake weighed about 29lbs.

The parts I stripped off weighed 11.4. If you remember, the Bitz stuff weighed 12.8, although it was still packaged and some of the wires will likely be shorter and the wires from the CIS are still in the car, so I think you could call it an even weight swap, everything being apples to apples.

Just to be clear, I wasn't thinking about weight or lack of, just thought since was easy to do, it would be interesting to find out.

Old 08-24-2017, 04:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #55 (permalink)

Garage
Intake with stuff stripped off. I removed the cold start valve since it isn't used and will make a blank off plate. It could be left on and disconnected and probably not create a vacuum leak, but why take a chance?

I still need to grind the tabs and remove the injector sleeves- yes, the brand new ones from last Spring!

Old 08-24-2017, 04:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #56 (permalink)

Garage
I may see about sourcing some tapered rubber plugs to put in the bottom of the runners so I can submerge it all and test for leaks at boots and the box.

Old 08-24-2017, 04:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #57 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

Weight aside, the cleanliness of the TBitz is worth it alone. No more bulky CIS stuff clogging up the engine compartment.
Old 08-24-2017, 06:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #58 (permalink)

Garage
My local hardware store (real one, not big box) has a great selection of tapered rubber bungs/plugs like you mention. Nice clean shop/bench/tools... Cool project. John
Old 08-24-2017, 06:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #59 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeffries View Post
My local hardware store (real one, not big box) has a great selection of tapered rubber bungs/plugs like you mention. Nice clean shop/bench/tools... Cool project. John
John,

Camera trick, for sure- sitting on my table saw, the rest of the place is ten pounds in a five pound sack!

I have a great hardware store down the road, good idea to check with them for the plugs.

Rutager

Old 08-25-2017, 01:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #60 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: