Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Rescuer of old cars

Garage
Oh man. Am I glad the '72T I bought last winter wasn't this bad. Because I'm not skilled enough to do this stuff myself. Mine is proving much simpler to refresh.

1972 911T coupe
Priors - '84 911 Carrera coupe, '84 944, '73 914 2.0
Old 10-16-2019, 12:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #201 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToySnakePMC View Post
Just want to say thank you for this really informative thread. Just read it from front to back these past few days, and what youíre doing would completely overwhelm me - not that I have 10% of your learned skills. Iím beginning to feel like youíre one of the most patient persons to have ever walked this Earth! This 911 is lucky to have found you.
Hi ToySnakePMC, Thank you for your kind words. I started off just like most people on here with general mechanical skills, but no body work sills what so ever. Now I'm getting pretty good at the welding and cutting. I'm going to have to go back to some of my previous work in the front and do some cleaning. And then it will be time to learn about primer, body filler, and finally paint! I can't wait to get to the mechanical stuff, that will be easy compared to everything I've done so far. The problem is really that you do all of this work and then take 10 steps back to see what you have done and it looks like the same car you started with. It is really hard to see the progress.

Rodney
'86 951 (Guards) Burned to Death
'71 911T (Orange) Sold
'72 911E (White) Sold
'86 951 (Black) Sold
'79 SC (White) Sold
'71 911 T (Green) Sold
Old 10-16-2019, 01:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #202 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankc View Post
Thanks for posting your progress - I have many similar repairs to make. I'm curious about why you chose MIG over TIG for the parcel shelf repair.
Hi Frankc,

If you read back to the start of my posts you will see that I was die hard to TIG weld everything and that was the way to go. I even took hours and hours of TIG welding classes. But in the end a majority of this work can be done as cleanly with a MIG. And the ease of use is what has really had me switch over to MIG. Like the rear parcel shelf I just did, the easy top part not against the body could have been done with a TIG. But the edge next to the body was super hard to reach and see when only using one hand. I can't imagine how I would get two hands in there and use my foot to control the power. Now if you are a master TIG welder then I say do it, because you can be very precise. The light went on for me regarding the MIG when I spent hours using the TIG to trying to do rosette welds to mimic spot welds. It would take minutes to do each one. I told my self the MIG couldn't be this hard. I picked it up and filled the rossette weld in like 3 seconds. And it was cleaner than I could do with the TIG, even after all of those classes. I can TIG weld like a pro with metal perfectly aligned on the welding table, sitting in my chair with perfect light. Seriously. But bend me over a fender, minimal light in a hard to reach spot with a gap that is not perfect and old pitted metal.... forget about it. But wit a MIG, piece of cake.

But again, it is all about skill level, my welding teacher can do anything with TIG in a matter of seconds.

Thanks,

Rodney
'71 911T (Orange) Sold
'72 911E (White) Sold
'86 951 (Black) Sold
'79 SC (White) Sold
'71 911 T (Green) Sold
Old 10-16-2019, 01:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #203 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmy2 View Post
With as many patches as you had on that panel, why not just install the complete new one?
Seems as though that may have been less work in the end.
Great job so far.
Hi Timmy2,

Yeah that was what I was trying to get to in my post. You are right. I should have just done it in one big patch but I thought the two areas would be simple and quick. I should have jut cut it all out. Oh well. The other reason I was leaning on not doing a big cut out is that a local Porsche body guy that I was talking to gave me the advice to try to leave as much factory metal as you can because the repo panels never fit perfect. Which I believe he is right. In this case I should have just cut out a big portion but not removed it entirely that way I would not have run into any issues with fit. It is not always one solution fits all.

Thanks,

Rodney
'71 911T (Orange) Sold
'72 911E (White) Sold
'86 951 (Black) Sold
'79 SC (White) Sold
'71 911 T (Green) Sold
Old 10-16-2019, 01:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #204 (permalink)
ROW '78 911 Targa

Garage
Sage advice from the body guy as I have done numerous repro panels and they all need massaging.
I would have gone bigger with needing 2 patches out of the same panel is all. Looks like a good match on that repro panel. I’ve seen a lot worse...
Keep up the good work.
Old 10-16-2019, 01:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #205 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arne2 View Post
Oh man. Am I glad the '72T I bought last winter wasn't this bad. Because I'm not skilled enough to do this stuff myself. Mine is proving much simpler to refresh.

Hi Arne2,

Thanks for sharing a pic of your '72, Awesome! And also thank you for rubbing it in that you have less work to do.

And YES you have the skills you just have to unlock them. However, I suggest you don't because it will take years off of your life.

Good luck!

Rodney
'71 911T (Orange) Sold
'72 911E (White) Sold
'86 951 (Black) Sold
'79 SC (White) Sold
'71 911 T (Green) Sold
Old 10-16-2019, 02:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #206 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: