Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Garage
Ok, I didn't work too long in the garage this morning but I got done what I set out to do so I will definitely call it a win! And since today was a repeat of yesterday it was a lot easier.

I stepped out into the garage this morning and at 6 am it was 90 degrees. Even hotter in the garage until I got all of the doors open and the fan going.

First task of the day was actually some cleaning, I've said it before I tend to work better in a clean space. The plastic I've had down on the floor was filthy and all beat up so time to get rid of it and sweep out everything.

By the time I was ready to stat trimming up the new flare and rough cutting the existing one it was still too early for the grinder and compressor noise so another thing that has been bothering was my tools have been filthy. So I cleaned up a majority of them.

All cleaned up...

'86 951 (Guards) Burned to Death
'71 911T (Orange) Sold
'72 911E (White) Sold
'86 951 (Black) Sold
'79 SC (White) Sold
'71 911 T (Green) Sold
Old 08-01-2020, 12:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #341 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Ok, same thing as yesterday. Trim up the new quarter, place it on the existing quarter, mark where final placement will be. Then mark a couple of inches inside that to do a rough cut to remove the existing quarter.

Here is the rough cut removed, look how bad the outside looks where the lap weld was.

'71 911T (Orange) Sold
'72 911E (White) Sold
'86 951 (Black) Sold
'79 SC (White) Sold
'71 911 T (Green) Sold
Old 08-01-2020, 12:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #342 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Here is the inside lap weld as well. Good welders would never use a small piece of metal for a backing plate and leave it there, that will 100% cause rust. Use a piece of copper or simply cut a patch panel, Agh!

Rough cut removed...

Inside section where I will have to do a patch panel.

'71 911T (Orange) Sold
'72 911E (White) Sold
'86 951 (Black) Sold
'79 SC (White) Sold
'71 911 T (Green) Sold
Old 08-01-2020, 12:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #343 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
These two holes are were the modified engine mounts were for the subaru engine that was in here. Since they are recessed due to over tightening, I'm most likely going to get out the dent puller to fix this part.

Here is where I got lucky, the oil line fittings were right under where I made the rough cut. I was within a gnats hair of hitting these, any deeper and they would have been toast.

Some random bolt that is not factory that I need to cut out.

The 72 oil resivoir strap, need to clean this up. I have the Oil reservoir and the mechanism for the flapper door, as well as the oil console. I will need oil lines though.

Rust on the passenger rear brake light lower support bracket, that will not be too hard to make a new one... famous last words.

'71 911T (Orange) Sold
'72 911E (White) Sold
'86 951 (Black) Sold
'79 SC (White) Sold
'71 911 T (Green) Sold
Old 08-01-2020, 01:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #344 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Well remember on the other side there was an exit for the coolant lines, well there is one on this side too. This one looks worse, like Wolverine took a turn at it. Again, I will fix this when I get the 72 mounted on the rotisserie.

Time to tackle the bumper support again! Good news this one is welded by the same guy, who doesn't know how to weld, so a lot of these do not have any penetration.

'71 911T (Orange) Sold
'72 911E (White) Sold
'86 951 (Black) Sold
'79 SC (White) Sold
'71 911 T (Green) Sold
Old 08-01-2020, 01:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #345 (permalink)
Registered

Garage

Good news the bottom section only has like 5 welds on it. The other side had at least 8 in this area and then another 5 or so on the vertical section.

Has suspected not as hard as the other one to get out. I did not have to cut it into two.

Here is all of the metal for those bumper supports, that was a lot of weight.

'71 911T (Orange) Sold
'72 911E (White) Sold
'86 951 (Black) Sold
'79 SC (White) Sold
'71 911 T (Green) Sold
Old 08-01-2020, 01:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #346 (permalink)

Registered

Garage
Here are the rear bumper mounts Frank was asking about. Looks like they ok just some surface rust that should clean up.

'71 911T (Orange) Sold
'72 911E (White) Sold
'86 951 (Black) Sold
'79 SC (White) Sold
'71 911 T (Green) Sold
Old 08-01-2020, 01:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #347 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Ok here is where I have some questions. It seems that the PO might have cut off a bracket of some sort on the passenger side.

Here is a pick of the bracket on the Drivers side.

Her is a pick of the passenger side.

What are these brackets for?

Also, this area on the passenger side looks all bent up?

Any help identifying these brackets?
'71 911T (Orange) Sold
'72 911E (White) Sold
'86 951 (Black) Sold
'79 SC (White) Sold
'71 911 T (Green) Sold
Old 08-01-2020, 01:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #348 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
The new rear outer and inner cross member should be here on Monday. I will start removal and installation on next Friday. Taking tomorrow off.

Finally all tucked back in, until next week.

'71 911T (Orange) Sold
'72 911E (White) Sold
'86 951 (Black) Sold
'79 SC (White) Sold
'71 911 T (Green) Sold
Old 08-01-2020, 01:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #349 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodney Nelson View Post
Ok here is where I have some questions. It seems that the PO might have cut off a bracket of some sort on the passenger side.

Here is a pick of the bracket on the Drivers side. What are these brackets for?

Also, this area on the passenger side looks all bent up? Any help identifying these brackets?
Hey Rodney,
Really good progress today. I'm headed to the garage soon myself, but to work on the E90 M3, not my '73 unfortunately.

Regarding your question on the brackets, the first one is for the fuel pump, so there is only one on the left side.

The second one is for the rear sway bar - there should be similar brackets on both L & R sides. Btw, the rear sway bar brackets are notorious for cracking (I've replaced them twice). There are better brackets available from Wevo that you may want to install while you have the car on the rotisserie. I went with the Wevo mounts the second time.

And regarding the stud that you mentioned may be non-factory - where is that located? It looks like the one used to secure the oil lines towards the front cooler, but not sure if it was used on the '72.

Oh, and I can't believe somebody cut-up the longitudinal like that for the coolant lines. Don't they know that is a structural component of the chassis?
Early911SReg #2945

Last edited by frankc; 08-01-2020 at 02:25 PM..
Old 08-01-2020, 02:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #350 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Hi Frank,

Wow thank you for all of this information. I can't wrap my brain around the rear suspension at all at this time. I actually just purchased aluminum trailing arms. There was a good deal on pelican so snapped them up. I also want to get through the body front sway bars but right now the front suspension I have looks to be off a 74plus as it has the later style sway bar and mounts on the control arms. I would like to get some updated front 3.5" spindles so I can get some S brakes.

I hope you had fun working on your M3, much different than working on these simple 911s!

Thanks,

Rodney
'71 911T (Orange) Sold
'72 911E (White) Sold
'86 951 (Black) Sold
'79 SC (White) Sold
'71 911 T (Green) Sold
Old 08-01-2020, 07:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #351 (permalink)
Registered

Hi Rodney,

Which version of the aluminum trailing arms did you purchase? The 74-77 with the ball/socket drop link, or the 78+ with the bolt-in drop link? The reason I ask is that when Porsche moved to the bolt-in drop link for the 1978 SC, they also widened the bolt spacing on the sway bar mounts (the brackets in your picture) to 66mm - this was done to accommodate larger sway bars.

So if you have the ball/socket type of trailing arm (post attached to arm with ball on the end), and you plan to run OEM sway bars up to '77, then you can keep the style of brackets that you have with the narrow bolt spacing (but they look like they will need to be replaced regardless). However, if you have the bolt-in type of trailing arm, then you will need the OEM brackets from a 78+ car with 66m spacing.

Note that the Wevo brackets are available in both early and late spacing.
https://www.wevo.com/Products/ChassisProducts/WevoChassisProducts-RARBConsoles.htm

Another option is to avoid all of this mess and go with a non-OEM rear sway bar where the drop links attach where the spring plates bolt to the trailing arm.

FYI: I wanted fatter sway bars with OEM drop-links in my '77, so I installed the later 78+ trailing arms and the wider 66mm Wevo RARB consoles.
Early911SReg #2945
Old 08-01-2020, 08:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #352 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankc View Post
Hi Rodney,

Which version of the aluminum trailing arms did you purchase? The 74-77 with the ball/socket drop link, or the 78+ with the bolt-in drop link? The reason I ask is that when Porsche moved to the bolt-in drop link for the 1978 SC, they also widened the bolt spacing on the sway bar mounts (the brackets in your picture) to 66mm - this was done to accommodate larger sway bars.

So if you have the ball/socket type of trailing arm (post attached to arm with ball on the end), and you plan to run OEM sway bars up to '77, then you can keep the style of brackets that you have with the narrow bolt spacing (but they look like they will need to be replaced regardless). However, if you have the bolt-in type of trailing arm, then you will need the OEM brackets from a 78+ car with 66m spacing.

Note that the Wevo brackets are available in both early and late spacing.
https://www.wevo.com/Products/ChassisProducts/WevoChassisProducts-RARBConsoles.htm

Another option is to avoid all of this mess and go with a non-OEM rear sway bar where the drop links attach where the spring plates bolt to the trailing arm.

FYI: I wanted fatter sway bars with OEM drop-links in my '77, so I installed the later 78+ trailing arms and the wider 66mm Wevo RARB consoles.
Hi Frank,

Thanks for all of this information. Unfortunately, I can't remember what year, could you help identify them? That way I can source the correct brackets I'll need as it definitely looks like I will have to replace them.

Here are the pics...

'71 911T (Orange) Sold
'72 911E (White) Sold
'86 951 (Black) Sold
'79 SC (White) Sold
'71 911 T (Green) Sold
Old 08-02-2020, 03:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #353 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I lied about taking today off too. I have a couple of hours to burn so I went into the garage because I realized I never finished the passenger side through the body sway bar support, as I ran out of welding gas.

Here is where I left off, some of the welds look terrible as I started running out and didn't realize it because my gauge still was reading a small amount. Better to just change it when you get low.

Unlike the rear bumper mounts, what ever person ends up trying to remove these supports fifty years from know is going to be in for a lot of work. The technique I use to fill each hole is to do a quick on and off a couple of times dead center in the hole to make sure that first weld penetrates to the body. Then I go over to the left and connect to the support bracket and attach and then to the right. Then I go full on around the entire hole filling it and moving out from the center. Perfect every time with full penetration.

Everything cleaned up, ground flat. It looks better than it does in pictures, except for the very top center section, that is where I was running out of gas, the welds are fine, they just don't look that great. This entire area will first be primed and then I will apply undercoating, so you will barely be able to see this when all done.

'71 911T (Orange) Sold
'72 911E (White) Sold
'86 951 (Black) Sold
'79 SC (White) Sold
'71 911 T (Green) Sold
Old 08-02-2020, 03:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #354 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodney Nelson View Post
Hi Frank,

Thanks for all of this information. Unfortunately, I can't remember what year, could you help identify them? That way I can source the correct brackets I'll need as it definitely looks like I will have to replace them.
Those are the later (78+) style arms, so it's probably best to go with the wider (66mm) bushing brackets to match.
Early911SReg #2945
Old 08-02-2020, 09:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #355 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Well the rear cross member inner and outer pieces showed up. I purchased both from Restoration Design. However, it seems that they don't make the outer cross member, as it was Dansk.

Here they are. Initial fitter together does not seem so perfect... May need a bit of trimming.

Shot of the back before surgery...

Scalpel... well close enough... Time to melt off the lead that is used in the transition of the water channel to the outer cross member.

'71 911T (Orange) Sold
'72 911E (White) Sold
'86 951 (Black) Sold
'79 SC (White) Sold
'71 911 T (Green) Sold
Old 08-08-2020, 07:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #356 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Aftermath...

Bone Saw...

Removed...

'71 911T (Orange) Sold
'72 911E (White) Sold
'86 951 (Black) Sold
'79 SC (White) Sold
'71 911 T (Green) Sold
Old 08-08-2020, 08:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #357 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Here is the offending rusty areas...

It is really hard to explain and even show with pictures how all of this fits together. And it is super hard to untangle everything. You can't get a spot weld remover in anywhere so you have to cut and grind everything out.

I used a bunch of tools to get everything out. Dremel with 1.5" metal cut off wheel, tin snips, 3" straight air grinding/cutting wheel, air saw, and pliers.

The inner member attaches to the left and right square frame like pieces that on either side of the engine bay, where the engine mount brackets mount to. Then the outer cross member attaches to the inner cross member and both sandwich below the water channel. So you have three pieces coming together there where the lead is applied over the top at the factory... If any of that makes sense?!

Also, I like to say it looks better than what the pictures show. Well that is not the case here, it looks worse than what the pictures show. The top of this pic is where everything was sandwiched together.

'71 911T (Orange) Sold
'72 911E (White) Sold
'86 951 (Black) Sold
'79 SC (White) Sold
'71 911 T (Green) Sold
Old 08-08-2020, 08:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #358 (permalink)

Registered

Garage
Here is this square engine mount area where the inner and outer are also sandwiched together. It's all cut up and hard to identify... This is the main mounting area for the cross members...

Again, no way to drill out the spot welds, best to cut and grind them out. All flange areas here need to be cleaned up as I will need to rosette weld here when I install the new pieces.

'71 911T (Orange) Sold
'72 911E (White) Sold
'86 951 (Black) Sold
'79 SC (White) Sold
'71 911 T (Green) Sold
Old 08-08-2020, 08:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #359 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
All metal is finally removed on passenger side. Ready for final cleaning, and fitting.

I also started working on the drivers side but ran out of cut off wheels, will work on it more tomorrow...

'71 911T (Orange) Sold
'72 911E (White) Sold
'86 951 (Black) Sold
'79 SC (White) Sold
'71 911 T (Green) Sold
Old 08-08-2020, 08:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #360 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: