Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Thumbs up

Very nice Try putting a mandrel in the bottom and chuck it your drill press, instant polishing machine
1966 Bug stock-2004 Toyota Rav4-1989 XJ6 Jag
1975 914, 1965 Norton N15CS 750, 1975 Husqvarna 360 CR GP
Old 01-01-2018, 07:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #101 (permalink)

Garage
Hey thanks for the compliments. From what I've seen you've got every talent required for bodywork - basically all it takes is vision, a bit of research, and a lot of sanding. And sanding. And sanding. And sanding takes time, so you need a lot of that too.

Minnesota! We are practically neighbours! It's GD cold here too. Luckily the shop has a decent furnace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munky King View Post
I've just run through your thread and I'm in awe of your bodywork capabilities!

I'm going to have to farm mine out.

This is Johnny's thread to those who are interested in his weight saving:
Project Heavy Metal - an all steel classic, remastered

You chose the best color though. I'm struggling between signal orange and white. I think white may win the day. I don't want a car that shouts 'race me'. More one that can surprise a few people at how fast an old 'un can go when it hitches up its skirts. I'm staying narrow body too, so no other real indicators of any turn of speed.

I finally pulled the new alloy rear out of the packing (thanks again Santa) and took a few pics.

It's dropping to -34 here in Minnesota today and even though the garage is heated, the heater can't keep up, so little progress expected here.
Old 01-01-2018, 08:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #102 (permalink)

I'm envious of your furnace. My little heater just can't keep up!
It would be great to meet up at some point. My car is a couple of years off from finishing though!

In the meantime, I'll keep an eye on your thread for hints and tip.
Old 01-01-2018, 03:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #103 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve F View Post
Very nice Try putting a mandrel in the bottom and chuck it your drill press, instant polishing machine
That's a great idea! Thanks.
I just need to brake the freezing cold conditions (in the garage) and give it a go.
It can't stay this cold for longer can it?
Old 01-01-2018, 03:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #104 (permalink)

Quick pic comparing the two latch covers.
I somehow managed to get the two pivot centers slightly off... there was also a little shrinkage that I need to account for in the next version.
You can also see the arc centers for the back arch are slightly off. Nothing that can't be fixed on the next run though!
The odd color is down to the effect of the light - making the unpolished stainless part look almost golden! I think that means I'll have to make the set of all parts to keep the final colors consistent, though a quick polish with a spare bit of high grit soon changed the color back to that of the gear knob. .
Old 01-01-2018, 03:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #105 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwest View Post
Those parts are cool Munky, hope you get the car on the road by summer.

Best,
Rutager
Thanks Rutager, but I don't think I have a snowballs chance!
Sooo much to do.
Have you managed to get your backfire issue sorted yet?
Old 01-01-2018, 03:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #106 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Thanks Rutager, but I don't think I have a snowballs chance!
Sooo much to do.
Have you managed to get your backfire issue sorted yet?
I finally diagnosed it and even took the Bitz setup out for a five mile drive this fall and I was impressed with the initial results.

Had a foreign object in #5 cylinder that bashed the heck out of the piston, I presume the exhaust valve and bent the plug grounding electrode into the tip. Once bent back, it no longer backfires, but my leakdown out the exhaust is around 60 percent; clearly I have damage!

Going to pull motor this month and try and do a budget repair if possible just fixing the bad cylinder.

Luckily, when I built the garage I went with 2x6s and lots of insulation, so my heater can keep up, although being electric, it rough houses my wallet a bit!

Best,
Rutager

1977 911S Targa Chocolate Brown
Old 01-01-2018, 04:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #107 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
I'm envious of your furnace. My little heater just can't keep up!
It would be great to meet up at some point. My car is a couple of years off from finishing though!

In the meantime, I'll keep an eye on your thread for hints and tip.
My furnace broke down a while ago and while I was fixing it I picked up a 4800W construction heater which seemed to work pretty well to take the chill of pretty quick. I figured it was a good idea to have a backup, not only for the shop but also for the house. We have a gas fireplace but this would add a bit more heat in the basement and probably keep us from freezing to death!

It would be great to meet up. I've been wondering if there are any good 911 centric events in the twin cities area - all I know of are the Nordstern PCA events. My car is a long way from being finished as well, but I do have a few others to play with. Which is of course one reason mine is taking so long to complete!
Old 01-02-2018, 05:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #108 (permalink)
AirBorne!

subscribed
2008 997 C4S Silver, Kitty Cat, 1989 3.4 911 Silver Carrera, Erica, 1989 944S2 NASA GTS2, Iris, 1988 944 DE Car, Backdate 1970 3.0 PMO from a 1975S - Roxanne, 1970 911T widebody w 3.0 and megasquirt - sold to a great home to be reborne as a 911 ST, 1967 912 soon to become 912/6 with a 67s motor, 89 VW Cabriolet - 2.0 conversion - sold and missed
Old 01-02-2018, 06:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #109 (permalink)

Well it's taken me a heck of a long time to get back out into the garage, but I was really cooking last Saturday evening (and then a neighbor came over with beer - and I didn't want to be rude...) but managed a few minor jobs before hand.

After doing a bunch of reading, I decided on the lazy mans way of cleaning some of the pedal assembly up.
A quick dip in this...

Followed by a swill around in this...

Turned this crusty piece of metal...

Into this not so crusty piece of metal!

Now with the old broken bolts drilled out and new ones welded in, it's just about ready for a light rub down and paint.
I'm amazed at how well the rust has been eaten. Especially as I specifically chose the second evapo-rust stuff because of its minimal environmental impact.
Need to get to work on the rest of it now!
Baby steps!!!
Old 02-13-2018, 05:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #110 (permalink)

Glad to see an update from you Munky. Gonna be 40 here today, open those doors up!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-14-2018, 07:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #111 (permalink)

Thanks
Glorious here the past few days. Seeing temps above freezing always cheers me up!
To garage is bearable again, so hopefully get some work done tomorrow!
Old 02-17-2018, 04:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #112 (permalink)

Help!
Can anyone tell me, how much of these two parts should be painted before assembly?

Obviously I need to remove and replace the nylon bearings, but I'm not sure if all the metal parts should be painted or the tubular sections left but covered in grease?Thanks!
Old 02-18-2018, 12:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #113 (permalink)

These parts in blue:
To paint or not to paint, that, is the question...
Old 02-18-2018, 01:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #114 (permalink)

Garage
Just paint the ends - not the shafts (just as you have it masked).
Old 02-18-2018, 07:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #115 (permalink)

Thanks, I guessed as much from the pitting, but wasn't sure.
Thanks again for the pointer!
Old 02-18-2018, 08:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #116 (permalink)

A quick lick of chemical resistant paint later.

Wow, I really should clean the bugs off the garage window sill...

And some flashy new Pelican parts waiting for the paint to dry.

Old 02-19-2018, 05:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #117 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: