Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 4.50 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
And something I have waiting to see for 3 years. My all four wheel Brembo's. Love it
Old 12-21-2017, 06:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #101 (permalink)

Garage
Suspension looks awesome. Yes it is purple and I took a leap of faith but when the car is done it will make much more sense. Lots of elephant suspension parts- should drive wonderfully.
Old 12-21-2017, 06:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #102 (permalink)

Garage
So when you aren't wrenching yourself you seem to spend to much time on internet looking for inspiration. So I bought a rear deck grille from Al on this forum. Can't wait to see it. I am quite certain I will install it as it looks very cool.

I also bought from flat six xenon headlights which I also will have in 2 weeks. I am now done with all deviations and will now stick to plan.
Old 01-02-2018, 05:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #103 (permalink)

Garage
I also got some great news in the form of an update. The engine and trans are in. Waited a long time to see how it would look and I am very pleased.
Old 01-02-2018, 05:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #104 (permalink)

Garage
And with this installation it appears that my front wheel issue is not an issue - with the weight being added to the tail it made my clearance issues go away.
Old 01-02-2018, 05:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #105 (permalink)

Love the orange. Love the impact bumpers. Love all of it.

My only advice would be for others thinking about a build and farming out the work. Take the price the shop quotes you and add 50% or more. They are going to discover problems along the way with parts and you are going to want to upgrade and change your mind on details. I've seen build after build end with a lien sale when the owners credit cards maxed out.
Old 01-02-2018, 09:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #106 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Garage
Doug is right. Even the best intended and honest quotes won't come close. Every leg was double the first non conservative estimate. Things unforeseen will come up, and not just engine but everywhere. My parking brake lacked all the parts outside the pull lever, there goes $500. A couple electronic motors go and $1000 gone. Adds up so fast it will drive you crazy and question what you are thinking.

Much of it is due to "while your in there" and the others is just unforeseen wear. When you are having so much work done you find yourself saying yes a lot.

Yes is expensive. My first post of this thread spoke about my willingness to discuss costs via private message. Happy to also field a few calls if people wish. I won't discourage you to do it but will make you think about buying someone else outlaw and making it your own. It is a much much cheaper route.

Now that being said it does make my week when I show up at shop and see steady progress. When I saw engine go in I had a great sense of relief that the end was in site.
Old 01-03-2018, 03:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #107 (permalink)

Completely agree with Doug and 9112gun.

Originally one of my vehicles just needed to have the burnt exhaust valve guides replaced. It turned into a complete top end rebuild. After the top end was rebuilt, a compression test was done, and cylinder 4 was at 75% leak. Ended up rebuilding the bottom end with stronger parts.

I went in for a quick and easy valve guide replacement, and came out with a full motor rebuild. The original job that was going to cost me a few hundred dollars suddenly turned into a massive job that cost a few thousand dollars. Buy once, cry once!
Too many Miata's to count.
Old 01-03-2018, 05:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #108 (permalink)
Under the radar

Location: Sebastopol, The Republic of California. Land of wine and redwoods.
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by douglas bray View Post
Love the orange. Love the impact bumpers. Love all of it.

My only advice would be for others thinking about a build and farming out the work. Take the price the shop quotes you and add 50% or more. They are going to discover problems along the way with parts and you are going to want to upgrade and change your mind on details. I've seen build after build end with a lien sale when the owners credit cards maxed out.
50%?. My cost are always double, and that is with me doing the labor. He!!, a few years ago my trans rebuild and upgrade was $4k in parts. A good investment, but you get the drift and that was with me doing everything. I just spent $7k on my new motor, and I already had the carbs and exhaust.

A lot of guys, not just Porsche buyers, don't understand how much labor, and parts go into a restoration. Part of the problem is the TV shows that do these custom restos. Do they ever show the true cost? Porsches have never been inexpensive, but doing a driver quality resto, is not for the weak of wallet.
#56 PCA Redwood Region, GGR, NASA, Speed SF
Old 01-03-2018, 06:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #109 (permalink)
mikl911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackrash View Post
50%?. My cost are always double, and that is with me doing the labor. He!!, a few years ago my trans rebuild and upgrade was $4k in parts. A good investment, but you get the drift and that was with me doing everything. I just spent $7k on my new motor, and I already had the carbs and exhaust.

A lot of guys, not just Porsche buyers, don't understand how much labor, and parts go into a restoration. Part of the problem is the TV shows that do these custom restos. Do they ever show the true cost? Porsches have never been inexpensive, but doing a driver quality resto, is not for the weak of wallet.
Amen.
1937 Ford Slant back Hot Rod
2000 M5 ECU upgraded (sold)
Old 01-03-2018, 08:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #110 (permalink)

Your rear brembo "Big Silvers" look like my Rebel racing GT "big red "rear setup.
Are you running the brembos (323/28 )mm rotors up front?
The rear rotors interchange with porsche 930 rotors,but I have not found a front (2 pc )rotor source other brembo that only has a 1 pc front rotor replacement .
Thanks for any info you may have.
Old 01-04-2018, 09:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #111 (permalink)

^^^^Brake secrets are held very close to the chest. Nobody, not even Pelican, wants the info out there. My 930 calipers and M/C were obtained in a trade for a clean VIN tub that cost me $2,000. The rotors, lines, pads, and incidentals were @$600. Yes, I got $10,000 in brakes for $2,600.

What is wrong with the two part rotor/hat front set up? Works flawlessly for me. Take a look at Colman Racing then shop a site that sounds like g e e k. You need to focus in on brakes from 1978. Did I Say That????

Or PM me.
Old 01-04-2018, 06:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #112 (permalink)

Absolutely love your car and your build! Fantastic colors! Signal orange is one of my favorites.
I have a 72 T and just finished 2 Year resto but really want to do RSR conversion. I understand your pains and wish you the best.
I’m no help with long nose versus short. They’re both great. Same goes for the tails.
I do gravitate a bit towards the duck tail.
Old 01-04-2018, 06:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #113 (permalink)

Ever since watching "Can-Am: The Speed Odyssey" about the series that Porsche so forcefully dominated that it ended it, I have been in love with the orange color Bruce McLaren painted his cars, and still hope to have a sports car painted that color some day. I have tried to find out what it is, and it appears that Signal Orange just might be it. Beautiful car, and the engine is so perfect and beautiful in there. I think Butzi and Ferry would be proud of you.

'87 Carrera Coupe
Venetian Blue Metallic
Old 01-04-2018, 07:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #114 (permalink)

Garage
Congratulations on your build, it looks like it will be a very nice project, I was wondering if you could share the sizes and offsets of the Braid wheels, and also the size of the tires you are using, they look nice on the car, I'm building a car myself and have that part unresolved.
thanks for sharing

Fernando Farias
Vintage Motorsports Monterrey

Last edited by FERFARIAS; 01-05-2018 at 09:13 AM.. Reason: spelling
Old 01-05-2018, 09:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #115 (permalink)

Garage
Better air-

Again as my post eludes to I am not handy enough to ever attempt an outlaw project so my exact knowledge of parts isn't exact. All the parts shippers and packing lists are being held by the shop so here is what I know from the invoice.

Brembo big brake caliper kit - silver Ib2.8022a3
Brembo big brake kit rear - silver caliper - 2c4.5001a1

Lindsey racing big brake caliper adapter set 993 351 900 00

I wish I knew more info for you and will soon once i grab all the paperwork to build a project folder.
Old 01-05-2018, 01:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #116 (permalink)

Garage
Ferfarias-

12 inch rears. 10 in fronts. I can't remember the offsets. But the expert on knowing exactly what is needed is Paul Eddelston as Braid.

He is the person who I bought wheels through- very on the ball and Runs a Porsche rally racer in his part time He can provide offet off the top of his head

He can be reached at paul@braidusa.com

Tires are nitto extreme performance nt555
Front 255/40-17
Rear 315/35-17
Old 01-05-2018, 02:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #117 (permalink)

Your car is absolutely beautiful. It is something I would proudly drive and enjoy. Good on you for chasing your dream car.

But I have to take a second and be a bit of a contrarian. Your “donor” was also an absolutely beautiful car. Navy blue over tan. G50 coupe. There are no more air-cooled 911’s being built. We lose them when wrecked or converted like your car. Never to be replaced.

Did you consider finding a project car or a conversion that was close to where you are headed? Both options pop-up for sale from time to time. Seems to me that you could have gotten your dream and one more stock 911 would be in the pool for others to enjoy.

Look forward to seeing your final result.
Old 01-05-2018, 02:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #118 (permalink)

Garage
In hindsight knowing what I know now I for sure would have bought someone else's project or even a complete car done on a small budget. It would have cost much less and likely been a much faster project. I had my head set on a g50 car and when one came up I jumped on it.

The navy blue donor car was bought off pelican 3 years ago. Bought it within 5 minutes of a very early am post. the car was bought by a dealer whose originally was going to sell as a parts car and instead after driving decided to sell it on the cheap for the purpose of keeping it alive.

The car was rough, every body panel had dents, dings, scratches, etc. the car had fake fuch's, a 86 3.2 engine running a 915 trans and the interior was a disaster. I bought the car for $16,500 and then also bought the g50 trans original to the car for 2k more.

The car was missing a fender, missing a headlight, had a cracked front windshield and was in sad shape. Once I has the car shipped to Michigan and I had checked out and it turned out to be a solid car. Ran great and all the issues were cosmetic. At that time I debated briefly just repainting, some cheap interior work, and swapping the trans and making some money on the car.

Regardless I don't feel bad changing the car from original as it was likely going to be parted out if I hadn't jumped on it so I feel like I saved her already.

The idea of a project car at that point was not something i was even thinking of and I should have been. Not only would I have saved money but could have taken someone's money pit away from them.

I have another 1988 Porsche 911 - it is by far my favorite car. A rare color or turquoise blue that is just gorgeous. It is flawlessly original and I won't ever consider a single modification on it. So when I also saw this other 1988 for sale I made even more sense as the fuel injection system, suspension, AC system, suspension, brakes, etc etc will all be kept and stored in case I need it in that car..
Old 01-05-2018, 05:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #119 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9112gun View Post
Ferfarias-

12 inch rears. 10 in fronts. I can't remember the offsets. But the expert on knowing exactly what is needed is Paul Eddelston as Braid.

He is the person who I bought wheels through- very on the ball and Runs a Porsche rally racer in his part time He can provide offet off the top of his head

He can be reached at paul@braidusa.com

Tires are nitto extreme performance nt555
Front 255/40-17
Rear 315/35-17
The car loks fantastic. So happy the wheels worked out. Lost a little sleep there for a while even though everything suggested they were correct. Specs from your invoice say:

FRONT:
Size: 9X17
Offset: -3
Color: BLACK/SILVER RSR
Hub Bore: 71.6
Bolt Pattern: 5X130
Lug Style: BALL

REAR:
Size: 11X17
Offset: TBD
Color: BLACK/SILVER RSR
Hub Bore: 71.6
Bolt Pattern: 5X130
Lug Style: BALL

I think the rear offset is in the -25 range as that's what we typically supply now for similar vehicles. For 930s we typically specify et30 and et0.

You can order them from our host.

Can't wait to see this car in person though now the wheel issue resolved itself I have one less reason to drive over to Arbor Motion in the snow.
http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/SuperCat/0812/POR_0812_BDYWHL_pg3.htm#item11
Old 01-06-2018, 08:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #120 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: