Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Porsche Crest Leaking Fuel Pump 74 911 CSI

74 911 Carrera 2.7 US CSI fuel injection with bosh fuel pump.
Hello all, My fuel pump appears to be leaking at the armature housing / pump o ring seal. Does anyone know if this o ring is serviceable? I've located a new O.E. M. pump. However @ $600.00+, I'm looking for an alternative solution . Does anyone have experience with the PIERBURG universal replacement pump for this application. Its sits tight under on the car. The Pierburg literature sat "mirror modifications needed "

Appreciate your feedback

Mike
Old 09-03-2017, 10:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Hello and welcome to the forum Mike - I'm attaching a link to our site's DIY tech article on the fuel pump replacement procedure; I hope you find it helpful. Please let us know if you have any questions!

Porsche 911 Fuel Pump Replacement | 911 (1965-89) - 930 Turbo (1975-89) | Pelican Parts DIY Maintenance Article
Old 09-05-2017, 09:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
I replaced mine with a Walbro GCL608, so far so good.

Link
Old 09-05-2017, 12:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered Minimalist

Garage
I did the pierburg replacement. So far, so good. The minor mods needed are probably in reference to adapting it for a check valve. I comes with everything you need except for one part, the cap. The cap is a metal fuel cap that goes on the end of the check valve that is included and after the banjo fitting. Assuming you use the banjo fitting that is stock on your fuel line. Some say the check is inline in the banjo, but I had hot start issues after installing the new pierburg, so I installed an aftermarket check valve and the hot start issue is gone.

Check out my 75 and 77 911S build threads
Old 09-05-2017, 12:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Duane ..thanks for the feedback ...the Pierburg replacement pump shows the check value and adaptors in the illustrations... im assuming they come with the new pump kit I'll confirm. ...I was panning on using my existing stock banjo fitting. Question? the fuel lines on the OEM pump attach to the side rear of the pump... the replacement are at the end of the pump. Once the fuel lines are secure...does the replacement pump fit on the OEM bracket and still bolt to the pump carriage under the car?

Mike
Old 09-05-2017, 02:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
I've got a 74 and did the Pierburg swap. It does sit the other way around so some modifications to the hoses and wiring has to be done. I did a forum post on the change. I'll see if I can find a link to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-05-2017, 04:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Here's the thread:
Pierberg Pump Install
I didn't go into much detail, but long story short you'll have to cut some tubing and wires and re-plumb - wire. Other than that it physically fits and does provide the proper pressures, etc.
-C
Old 09-05-2017, 06:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Pull it apart and replace the oring between the electric section and pump section. See here: MFI Open Heart Surgery II - The Fuel Pump

Last edited by john walker's workshop; 09-06-2017 at 05:26 AM..
Old 09-05-2017, 07:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Duane .. you mention a metal cap the goes at the end of the check valve on the new pump need to secure the banjo ... see lick below .. is this the correct one ?

Mike

Cap Nut 90007001002 - Genuine Porsche - 900-070-010-02 | Pelican Parts
Old 09-11-2017, 07:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Registered Minimalist

Garage
That looks like the correct one. I sourced mine from a forum member (Len aka boxtergt) that makes replacement fuel lines so I never had to check part numbers etc. easy enough to check though just grab an m10 x 1.25 nut and see if it threads on. Don't forget to use the enclosed crush washers to seal.

Check out my 75 and 77 911S build threads
Old 09-11-2017, 08:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

thanks for the info ..I'll keep u updated
Old 09-12-2017, 05:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Porsche Crest

In case anyone needs them, I keep the M12x1.5 Cap Nut and Copper Crush Rings for the Banjo in stock.

Please email me for details.

Len at Autosportengineering dot com

Old 09-13-2017, 05:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Hello All... Feedback .. After further reach ... I found a Fuel Injection rebuilder that specializes in rebuilding vintage Bosch FI parts / etc .. For about the same cost as the retrofit replacement ... I had my OEM rebuilt without any of the modification headaches. The turnaround was less then a week...Pump installed working fine ....
Fuel Injection Corporation ...Tracy CA....Ask for Kathy ...tell her Mike from Boston refereed ...
Old 10-09-2017, 07:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Hello All... Feedback .. After further reach ... I found a Fuel Injection rebuilder that specializes in rebuilding vintage Bosch FI parts / etc .. For about the same cost as the retrofit replacement ... I had my OEM rebuilt without any of the modification headaches. The turnaround was less then a week...Pump installed working fine ....
Fuel Injection Corporation ...Tracy CA....Ask for Kathy ...tell her Mike from Boston refereed ...
Old 10-09-2017, 07:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: