Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
'79 SC and Porsche Newbies

Hello all!

My dad just picked up this '79 SC; fulfilling a dream of many many years. We drove it home to Milwaukee this past weekend from Indy. Both of us are new to Porsche, and the old man is new to wrenches and sockets in combination with autos. He's spent lots of time listening to me talk shop about my viggen, and has stared in awe numerous times with the car ripped apart in his garage.

Anywho, I figured this was a good spot to ask questions, show progress, and learn.

A couple things we want to address right off the bat..

1. The car is from Georgia; the sun has taken its toll on the window trim. It's cracked quite a bit. Does this require window removal?

2. We had a PPI done from a Porsche guy. He was talking about a light relay (possibly high beams?) that was failing, or was known to fail on the cars. It sounded like an easy fix, but I wasn't quite following which set of lights he was talking about.

3. The PO had switched steering wheels. The horn doesn't work, and the turn signals don't automatically stop. Seems like an easy wiring step was missed here? It currently has the 4 spoke; the old man wants to put in something a bit sportier. I've seen them on the classifieds..is there an universal hub for those? Or should it be specific to the SC?

4. One headlight is cracked. Just the glass lens. The mechanic also told us that the car had H4 lights. What's a good source for smaller parts like this?

5. The minute we got home.."We need a mean ass exhaust on here." I've done a little research on the Bismoto unit, but it seems a bit harsh and I'm not a fan of the way it looks. Is the SSI/Dansk the way to go? Best place to source SSIs?

I've been doing research here and there; I'm sure most of these questions are basic. I'll keep snooping around. Thanks in advance!

Old 09-05-2017, 06:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Under the radar

Location: Sebastopol, The Republic of California. Land of wine and redwoods.
Garage
0. Do you have an Owner's Manual? Great source of information. Wayne has a book "101 Projects for your 911 Porsche" get it.

1. Windows out to change the rubber window seals.

2. An owner's manual or workshop manual will detail the relays.

3. I think all the aircooled 911s have the same steering hub. Lot's of options for steering wheels new and used. Check out the "Used Parts for Sale" forum.

4. Click on the "Parts Catalog" at the top of this page. Pelican probably has them.

5. IF you don't need to get your car smog checked a "back dated" exhaust like a SSI is the way to go for your car.
#56 PCA Redwood Region, GGR, NASA, Speed SF

Last edited by Trackrash; 09-05-2017 at 07:31 PM..
Old 09-05-2017, 07:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

A great looking car - well done.
Old 09-05-2017, 07:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Very nice!
Welcome to the forum.
And a bunch of parts I haven't installed yet.
Old 09-06-2017, 05:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
A common oe failure point is the steering column mounted H/L headlight switch

many add a relay for at least high beams to lighten the current load thru the switch.
Old 09-06-2017, 05:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

1. The car is from Georgia; the sun has taken its toll on the window trim. It's cracked quite a bit. Does this require window removal?

Have to see it to make a call.

2. We had a PPI done from a Porsche guy. He was talking about a light relay (possibly high beams?) that was failing, or was known to fail on the cars. It sounded like an easy fix, but I wasn't quite following which set of lights he was talking about.

The headlight switch for the highbeams is hardwired from the stalk on the steering column to the lights themselves. Common upgrade is to add a relay to take the load off the column switch. Switch often breaks otherwise. There are a couple other fuse/relay projects like that.

3. The PO had switched steering wheels. The horn doesn't work, and the turn signals don't automatically stop. Seems like an easy wiring step was missed here? It currently has the 4 spoke; the old man wants to put in something a bit sportier. I've seen them on the classifieds..is there an universal hub for those? Or should it be specific to the SC?

Yes, most of the aircooled 911s share a hub. Most people use the Momo style one. Horn is a single wire and a grounding ring. Turn signal is a mechanical reset.

4. One headlight is cracked. Just the glass lens. The mechanic also told us that the car had H4 lights. What's a good source for smaller parts like this?

Not going to be cheap to get proper original Bosch. Lots of fakes out there.

5. The minute we got home.."We need a mean ass exhaust on here." I've done a little research on the Bismoto unit, but it seems a bit harsh and I'm not a fan of the way it looks. Is the SSI/Dansk the way to go? Best place to source SSIs?

Older SSIs are supposedly better than the current Dansk versions.
M&K makes some of the best exhausts for this platform from a quality perspective.
Old 09-06-2017, 05:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Garage
Nice looking car good luck with it. Enjoy it!!! Take your time with it. You just got it so go out there and drive it. Don't worry about the window seals yet you have a garage. High beam relay probably inst there. It wasn't stock from porsche. It's an add on lots of threads on it here and it's a cheep fix that should be done. As said go to the parts for sale for steering wheel get one with a memo hub. I'll get back to you with the number. Once you have the hub all momo wheels will fit. I now have 5 it becomes addicting. For the exhaust I have a set of B&B headers on my sons 83 sc. it's not a daily driver and there loud. Also adds some horsepower. I like them so I added a B&B sport muffler to my 86. Again it's loud but being in NewYork loud pipes save lives��. Again good luck with it and drive it.
Old 09-06-2017, 06:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Cars and Cappuccino

Garage
Welcome.
Old 09-06-2017, 06:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
We got around to some things this past weekend. The first thing we tackled was the Wevo PSJ. It helped gear selection feel but there is still a solid amount of play in the shifter. It sounds like the Wevo short shifter is worth its price tag..? I've also been reading that Swepco trans fluid seems to be made of unicorn dust. Is 1 gallon enough for a flush?

Secondly, we pulled the gauges and put in new 12v 2w bulbs...no lighting change. Looks like we'll be looking into a LED option.

And lastly, we started on a prototipo. It appears the hub I got from a forum member didn't come with the spacer we need. There's about a 1-2" gap between the hub and the steering column shroud. Where can I pick up just the spacer? And, after pulling the original wheel, we noticed that the blinker reset ring is no where to be found, damn! Any options on this? Sounds like the part is NLA
Old 10-29-2017, 06:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
911 Mania

Garage
Nice car, for LED’s try Carmagic, he’s a forum regular with user name rothaus. I’ve ordered from him before with great results.

Carmagic, LED Lights for Classic Porsches

Good luck!
Old 10-30-2017, 07:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
we started on a prototipo. It appears the hub I got from a forum member didn't come with the spacer we need. There's about a 1-2" gap between the hub and the steering column shroud. Where can I pick up just the spacer? And, after pulling the original wheel, we noticed that the blinker reset ring is no where to be found, damn! Any options on this? Sounds like the part is NLA
the Momo hub does not sit 100% flush, no spacer.
get the blinker reset from eBay as used.. beware: you need the one with the long finger (the short ist for 924/944/968 and will not work)
Old 10-31-2017, 01:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: