Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

M&K Exhaust

I feel like I read somewhere that M&K is no longer doing exhaust for the 911 SC? Can someone add to this?

Looking to change exhaust to something nice and really like their stuff from what I've heard and seen on the net.

Throw in your choices for your setup that you like.......No drone systems allowed! Looking 1 in 1 out or 2 in 1 out if you went SSI's
Old 09-09-2017, 03:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
83 911 Production Cab #10

Garage
You could go with a Dansk Sport 1 In/ 1 Out or 2 In / 1 Out.

My Dansk Sport 2 In / 2 Out is a bit less loud than my M&K 2 In / 2 Out and without drone but I'm putting my M&K back on next year.

The drone does not bother me as I always drive with the top down.

83 911 Production Cab #10, Slightly Modified: Slanted, 3.2, PMO EFI, TECgt, CE 911 CAM Sync / Pulley / Wires, SSI, Dansk Sport 2/2, 17" Euromeister, CKO GT3 Seats, Going SOK Super Charger
Old 09-09-2017, 03:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Formerly known as Syzygy

I'm pretty sure they are still making them. At least I haven't herd anything to the contrary, and their web site is still up and running...

I don't think many (if any) mufflers that are 1 out drone. My M&K 1 in/1 out sure doesn't and sounds great!

1987 ROW coupe, Marine blue, with a couple extra goodies.

Without heart, they would be mere machines...

Last edited by Canada Kev; 09-09-2017 at 08:37 PM..
Old 09-09-2017, 04:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

My M&K 2 in 2 out does indeed drone and I had to cap the passenger side to make it sound well but for the heck of it a bit later capped the drivers side and let the passenger side open and it sounds even better so I am leaving it like this now for good.
Old 09-09-2017, 04:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I bought a 2 in 2 out about 4 mos ago. Perfect fitment. Great service.
Old 09-09-2017, 05:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
M&K is alive and well and continues to manufacture mufflers for the 911SC and all other air cooled Porsches.
We recently transitioned the Generation VI dual outlet mufflers with internal baffling that combats drone. So far all thumbs up from the Beta testers. A few are already out there with no negative reviews.
Next in the line of evolution is a quiet version of the dual inlet muffler. Weighs less than stock, 321 stainless, quiet as stock but with larger internal passages which support higher horsepower.
Also up is an active exhaust for the SC and Carrera. Stock look and stock quiet when you fire it up and cruise, aggressive tone and an extra 15HP when you hit the loud peddle!
But wait, there's more! Tailpipe options. We will be offering custom tailpipe lengths and diameters as well as baffling and beauty ring options. Stay tuned for updates with pictures!
Old 09-09-2017, 06:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I'm yet to buy something because I'm waiting on ssi but Brian's customer service has been top notch so far with just answering my questions. He has my business when I'm ready.
Old 09-09-2017, 06:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
a.k.a. G-man

Garage
Brian, where can I find the tailpipe baffles on your site.
I remember reading ages ago your were going to put them up, but so far, no go..
32C Member #41

1986 911 3.2 Carrera (not stock)
1974 911 2.7 9114102230 SOLD
Old 09-10-2017, 01:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

I have been waiting also. Called and left message and emails. No answer. I just installed a GT3 and it does have a drone at 2200 to 3,000. Good sound otherwise. The fit was perfect. But that drone.... may have to cap a pipe.... bummer.
Old 09-10-2017, 01:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Our webmaster has not listed baffles on our site. My fault, I have to get him all the info and just haven't done it. Please email for info as there are several options.
Willie you must have a previous generation muffler. I'll check my emails and we'll get you taken care of.
I'm going to look at cost to retro-fit the anti-drone baffles so we can offer that solution to those who have the previous generation mufflers and are experiencing drone. Not all applications experience drone, it's more complex than just a dual out issue.
Old 09-10-2017, 03:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Thank you Brian. As I stated in one of my messages, I'm not asking for any refund and would be willing to pay extra to find the correct solution.
Old 09-10-2017, 05:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada Kev View Post
I'm pretty sure they are still making them. At least I haven't herd anything to the contrary, and their web site is still up and running...

I don't think many (if any) mufflers that are 1 out drone. My M&K 1 in/1 out sure doesn't and sounds great!
How do you like the tone of your M&K 1 in 1 out as compared to the Dansk sport? Is it more low and throaty? How about at rev? I really want to be sure of no drone...that will really bother me.
Old 09-10-2017, 06:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Now available:  101 Projects for Your Porsche Boxster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RarlyL8 View Post
M&K is alive and well and continues to manufacture mufflers for the 911SC and all other air cooled Porsches.
We recently transitioned the Generation VI dual outlet mufflers with internal baffling that combats drone. So far all thumbs up from the Beta testers. A few are already out there with no negative reviews.
Next in the line of evolution is a quiet version of the dual inlet muffler. Weighs less than stock, 321 stainless, quiet as stock but with larger internal passages which support higher horsepower.
Also up is an active exhaust for the SC and Carrera. Stock look and stock quiet when you fire it up and cruise, aggressive tone and an extra 15HP when you hit the loud peddle!
But wait, there's more! Tailpipe options. We will be offering custom tailpipe lengths and diameters as well as baffling and beauty ring options. Stay tuned for updates with pictures!
Do you have recommendation for cat bypass pipe or pre muffler with your 1 in 1 out unit? Is there much difference in terms of flow/performance and sound between the two?
Old 09-10-2017, 08:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Pictured below is the difference between the M32 Premuffler (top) and the M60 Cat Bypass (bottom).

Both have the same ID and flow volume, the difference being the M60 has no muffling capability. Most popular setup is the M32/M33 premuffler and single inlet/outlet muffler. There is no drone with these systems as they have only one path to the exit. If you want a more aggressive tone go M60, more subdued for daily driver go M32.

Old 09-10-2017, 09:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Formerly known as Syzygy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada Kev View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynosoar1 View Post
How do you like the tone of your M&K 1 in 1 out as compared to the Dansk sport? Is it more low and throaty? How about at rev? I really want to be sure of no drone...that will really bother me.
I have no idea how it compares to the Dansk - never heard one live. However, I like the way my M&K sounds. Others I have talked to about it agree. Even neighbours that are sometimes at odds with car sounds. It's not too loud (sometimes wish it were louder) and has absolutely no drone.

1987 ROW coupe, Marine blue, with a couple extra goodies.

Without heart, they would be mere machines...
Old 09-10-2017, 01:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RarlyL8 View Post
Pictured below is the difference between the M32 Premuffler (top) and the M60 Cat Bypass (bottom).

Both have the same ID and flow volume, the difference being the M60 has no muffling capability. Most popular setup is the M32/M33 premuffler and single inlet/outlet muffler. There is no drone with these systems as they have only one path to the exit. If you want a more aggressive tone go M60, more subdued for daily driver go M32.

Pm sent
Old 09-10-2017, 02:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Former Options Trader !!!

FWIW..... I had the pre muffler and 1 in 2 our GT3 style with quiet riot baffles on my 88 targa. I war really impressed with the quality of the parts, the service and the communication from M&K.

I thought it was going to be a real project to get the pipes lined up level but it was a snap.

The sound was fantastic, deep and rich and it grew to a mechanical symphony at the upper rev range. The baffles just let me keep the peace with my neighbors when I snuck out for Sunday morning drives.
Old 09-11-2017, 06:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

fwiw, every car is different with the 2 outs. i have an M&K 2 in 2 out on my '76 with a 3.2 and SSI's. there is no drone at any RPM, and the car is relatively quiet until 4K, after which it screams thru redline.

brian has always been awesome and customer support excellent in my experience...
Old 09-11-2017, 09:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

I have the M&K premuffler and can attest that it is excellent. 'Growlier' sound with maybe a few more decibels louder, but not much. I also like that it doesn't have that raspy, crackly sound that some cat bypasses have.

Brian, do you have any videos of the new dual-out mufflers, yet? You know I've been waiting on you to make a tamer dual muffler for five years now!
Old 09-11-2017, 05:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Hey Paul, I'll have the quiet M33 on my R&D Carrera as soon as it is finished, you can come over and hear it for yourself.

Thanks for the props guys, I'm an enthusiast first so it's easy to be involved and available. There are occasions where difficulties arise and I don't immediately respond, I'm not ignoring you just really busy. Email is #1 way to contact me, you can't answer the phone easy from under a car!
Old 09-11-2017, 06:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: