Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Experience with CDI+ from Classic Retrofit

Hi there

Our host sells a replacement CDI... called CDI+ from Classic Retrofit.

I have a 1981 911SC Targa (Japan delivery) that lacks a bit in the Ooompf-department and wanted to know if anybody had any experience with the proposed upgrade?

Has anybody done this? Is it a worthwhile upgrade?

Thanks

Karl

Old 09-14-2017, 07:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Put one in my 69 race car - very happy with the product and backup from Jonny.

Rob
Old 09-14-2017, 09:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
No experience with CDI+

But I did have a positive experience with the MSD Streetfire unit (250 USD from US) which was a fraction of the CDI+ price. Get a new blank plug end from one of the PP posters then you simply make it plug & play too. You can return to originality quickly.

Streetfire on a SC makes it easier to start and smoother performance below 3K. I live in a hilly area & this helped. Probably the CDI+ does this as well - but at a much higher price point.

There are interesting developments going on in Australia with performance improvements for CIS using programmable Digital fuel regulators. You keep all the main CIS components, which is important for originality and car value, but you can easily upgrade performance. These units would be inconspicuous and possibly cost less than CDI+.
Old 09-15-2017, 01:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelrik911 View Post
There are interesting developments going on in Australia with performance improvements for CIS using programmable Digital fuel regulators. You keep all the main CIS components, which is important for originality and car value, but you can easily upgrade performance. These units would be inconspicuous and possibly cost less than CDI+.
We have done some work on integrating the FrankenCIS system with CDI+ already. We hope to control the fuel pressure from CDI+ which will allow programmable fuel and ignition map. This will be gold for the CIS and Turbo guys. It's some way off but we have all the parts and a plan is forming.

One of the things to bear in mind when making comparisons between products, is that we regard CDI+ as a 'platform' and are always looking to improve. Features can mostly be implemented through firmware updates which are published on our website. Other products tend to be disposable with no update path.
Old 09-15-2017, 12:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I have had Classic Retrofit's new CDI on my '72 911S with the factory MFI for about 6 months and it made marked improvement in both how the car starts and it's drive-ability. My emissions went down and the car pulls very hard to the redline with no issues. The tach signal is smooth, the rev limiter is simple to use, and it is truly a plug in factory looking replacement.

I have not used the special tuning features of the box yet, but I will tell you the customer support and engineering that went into this product is unmatched by other CDI box providers.
Old 09-15-2017, 07:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Turbonut

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny H View Post
We have done some work on integrating the FrankenCIS system with CDI+ already. We hope to control the fuel pressure from CDI+ which will allow programmable fuel and ignition map. This will be gold for the CIS and Turbo guys. It's some way off but we have all the parts and a plan is forming.

One of the things to bear in mind when making comparisons between products, is that we regard CDI+ as a 'platform' and are always looking to improve. Features can mostly be implemented through firmware updates which are published on our website. Other products tend to be disposable with no update path.

That would be very cool feature and would justify price difference. TBH I did not know your CDI+is fully programmable, it is great benefit and if you could integrate fuel control via electronically controlled WUR it would actually allow CIS to be useful. It would not be comparable to EFI in many ways but much-much better than nothing.

Only problem I see is that many CIS systems have worn out mechanicals (in the fuel distributor) and it is not easy for the average mechanic to rebuild one.
'78 911 SC 2.5ss twin-turbo
http://www.facebook.com/vemsporsche
Old 09-15-2017, 11:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Jonnie makes a great product..and supports it.

most good aftermarket cdi will be a good improvement
90 Chevy PU Prerunner....1995
RGruppe #79
Old 09-16-2017, 07:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Tags
911 sc , cdi , classic retrofit