Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Science is not optional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Olsen View Post
I have 11386, which is 2-in/2-out with 2.5" diameter pipes. (The 2.25" one is 11385.) I have it lower than it needs to be, but I'm trying to use it as part of my underbody aero.

That is very nice. Were you able to notice any objective changes in your lap times? I know you are very attentive to real data. Even if not the aesthetic and the intention suffice to justify this kind of ingenuity.
Old 10-07-2017, 07:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
Administrator

It's part of a more-ambitious (bolt-on, bolt-off) plan for down there. No hard data yet. But I will test it at some point.

Old 10-07-2017, 09:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

IMHO, there's no such thing as "muffler tuning". It's a can with no adjustable parts unless add'l lengths of inlet/ext. tubes are added or internal mods performed. A muffler could be a factor in lap times, but try to quantify that with published dyno tests or direct replacement testing. For road use, it's more a matter of sourcing a muffler that sounds acceptable, has some/little/no droning and doesn't exhibit any obvious loss of torque/power via typical butt tests. Or using what your local hero uses.

Sherwood
Old 10-07-2017, 12:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
Science is not optional

Yes, I see what you are saying. I was actually more interested in the ground effects of the aerodynamics that he is developing. Even if it has no effect at all I really like the intent. With a background in windsurfing I find speed comes from Little Things.
Old 10-07-2017, 04:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
Reiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911pcars View Post
IMHO, there's no such thing as "muffler tuning". It's a can with no adjustable parts unless add'l lengths of inlet/ext. tubes are added or internal mods performed. A muffler could be a factor in lap times, but try to quantify that with published dyno tests or direct replacement testing. For road use, it's more a matter of sourcing a muffler that sounds acceptable, has some/little/no droning and doesn't exhibit any obvious loss of torque/power via typical butt tests. Or using what your local hero uses.

Sherwood
Disagree greatly. It is a part of tuning as it is a restrictor or non restrictor of the air pump (your motor) .... just as intakes can be tuned.
This tuning takes place in the torque sweet spots (low. mid range) not at wot.
Old 10-07-2017, 05:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Black paint it is. I will see if I can make the 14210 work. Thanks.
Old 10-07-2017, 07:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Science is not optional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Olsen View Post
I have 11386, which is 2-in/2-out with 2.5" diameter pipes. (The 2.25" one is 11385.) I have it lower than it needs to be, but I'm trying to use it as part of my underbody aero.

I know it is a basic question but are these flanges readily available for exhaust fabrication?
Old 01-08-2018, 05:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reiver View Post
Disagree greatly. It is a part of tuning as it is a restrictor or non restrictor of the air pump (your motor) .... just as intakes can be tuned.
This tuning takes place in the torque sweet spots (low. mid range) not at wot.
Let us know about your planned muffler tuning process. Does it involve changing the inlet and exhaust pipe sizes and lengths? Or perhaps wholesale switching of mufflers from different sources? I think it'll be as easy (or difficult) as "tuning" and testing the intake of your engine. And, if changing mufflers, how many will you source, fabricate/mount and "test"? And of course you will test all combinations on an engine dyno to reduce test variables, yes?

That process is tedious as well as costly. Unless you have a mega-budget for your racing enterprise, maybe better to use what's been tried and done before with an engine closely matching your configuration, then call it good.

Quote:
I know it is a basic question but are these flanges readily available for exhaust fabrication?
Might be a source out there. Or else have flanges custom cut (laser or water jet). The cost factor is offset by taking the manufacturing hit (make several), then selling extras to others in need of fabrication pieces. One can also source the flanges from a junked set of SC heat exchangers (2 HEs and the cross-over tube will yield 3 Bishoff-compatible flanges).

Exhaust flanges for Gillet-style heat exchangers can be fitted with typical 3-bolt flanges.

Sherwood
Old 01-08-2018, 06:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

What's the weight difference between stock and that magnaflow. Thanks
Old 01-08-2018, 07:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)
Air Cooled

Garage
3.0L SC with SSIs, dual 50-state Cats and MagnaFlow 2.5" dual-in/dual-out.

The part number for the 18" dual in/dual out muffler is MagnaFlow #12486 (18").

1990 Honda Hawk GT, 1988 Honda Hawk GT,
1977 Honda CB750K Cafe

Last edited by Craig_D; 01-08-2018 at 08:00 PM..
Old 01-08-2018, 07:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: