Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Location: Placerville, CA.... You know, the only place on Highway 50 between Sacramento and Lake Tahoe the you find signal lights. Above the fog most of the time and I can see the stars of the Milky Way 8 out of 10 nights. Kinda cool.....
Garage
possible power supply for aftermarket heated seats

Hi everyone,

When I supplied new leather covers to an upholstery shop and had my seats recover, I elected to install an aftermarket set of biscuit warmers in both sections of the seats. I have been searching the past threads but haven't been able to find what I am looking for.

What I am needing is from those of you who have done this modification before, ideas for the best way to run power to the heaters and where did you tie into the line that shuts power off once the ignition is turned off? I know I can simply run lines from the battery, however for safety reasons I would like to time them into the system such that power is killed when I kill the ignition.

Thoughts welcome,
Cheers

1978 911SC Targa
Working Projects: 1968 912

Last edited by bugstrider; 10-06-2017 at 07:36 AM..
Old 09-26-2017, 11:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
You could use a relay and have it switched off of pretty much any circuit that goes off when the key is off and then hook the other wires to the battery for full current.

1977 911S Targa Chocolate Brown
Old 09-27-2017, 01:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Coram Deo

Garage
My seat heating kit off of ebay came with relays. I used the fuse positions that used to be used for air conditioning and ran the wires through the smuggler's box and up to the fuse box.
Old 09-27-2017, 05:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

put a fuse at the battery, run power from the there to the contacts of a relay, or 2 if 2 seats.
then run switched power from the fuse panel to a another switch then to the coil of relay to turn on heaters.
match the wire size from the battery to the current the heaters pull.
match the fuse at the battery to the wire size.

talk to timmy2 about it.
08 VOLVO V70 190K:: [__] RUNNING: [__] NOT RUNNING:
90 B2200[] RUNNING:[_] NOT RUNNING:__2000 MER E320 WAGON [_] WRECKED:[]RUNNING:
Old 09-27-2017, 05:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Location: Placerville, CA.... You know, the only place on Highway 50 between Sacramento and Lake Tahoe the you find signal lights. Above the fog most of the time and I can see the stars of the Milky Way 8 out of 10 nights. Kinda cool.....
Garage

Thanks guys,

What I didn't include were a few additional pics and details about the kit.

I too picked up the kit off of eBay, the destructions are not worth the paper they are printed on so they are no help. This particular kit is laid out in the following configuration. Two kits for two seats so what I show is x2.

The wiring kit for one seat. What I do not show is the included fuse line.

Red and black supply lines to the harness

Included relay for the harness

Harness connectors to the two heating elements

Harness connector to the switch

With this particular kit, I get what the sections will be used for. Although what has me asking the question is how to tie into the on/off deal. If I hook it to battery power, then the system will be hot all of the time. This being a 78 SC, I want to be safe and sure of where I access the aging power. Unfortunately these cars were never designed for today's modern conveniences.

I am trying to determine how to tie into the harness to allow a full power direct draw from the battery by kicking the relay from the ignition. I was hoping to figure how to do that with the existing connectors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1978 911SC Targa

Last edited by bugstrider; 09-27-2017 at 08:48 AM..
Old 09-27-2017, 08:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
1988 Carrera

Garage
Not a good idea to run from the batt. Leave them turned on when you leave the car = dead batt.
I came off the fuse box.
72'914 gone
72' 914 gone too
Old 09-27-2017, 08:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowjack1 View Post
Not a good idea to run from the batt. Leave them turned on when you leave the car = dead batt.
I came off the fuse box.

Yeah, all I see is disaster with the direct battery power deal. Do you have a pic of where you tied into you fuse box?

1978 911SC Targa
Old 09-27-2017, 09:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

the relay acts like a switch that is controlled by the switch they provided. you cant tie the relay into the ign sw.

do it like I said,
fuse at the battery. run a large wire to the common of the relay. probably pin 30 on the relay from the looks of it. with a large wire you can power both seats,
connect the heater to the NO(normally open contact, 87A) of the relay. put a fuse at the relay. smaller than the battery one since the wire from the relay will be smaller than the supply wire.
run the seat switch power to the fuse panel. tie into the fuse panel on the bottom (should be fuse side) of something that is switched. look for large red wire feeding the top of the panel, one that feeds multiple fuses.

if you do it like this you don't have to cut any factory wires. trust me, when I get into the wiring on my 930 and I see it is not hacked up it just puts a smile on my face.

you want fuses close to the power source and the same size as the wire rating or smaller. that way if a wire shorts out the fuse blows before the wire melts. also if the load on the wire is hi enough to melt the wire, the fuse will blow first.
Old 09-27-2017, 09:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Vintage Owner

Garage
Try to determine the draw when they're both on to help size the fuse. The relay will only activate when the car is running if you follow this thread's instructions.

84 Targa
70 914-6
73 914-6 2.7 conversion
75 GMC Motorhome
Old 09-27-2017, 11:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the intel. With the age of these cars, I am trying to "safely" power these things.

Had a good talk with T-2, and he is building me a custom stealthy relay connection for my fuse block. Can't wait to see the electrical sexiness!!!!!

When I get this thing back on the road, I can go topless while keeping the biscuits warm..... even in CA.

1978 911SC Targa
Old 09-28-2017, 07:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugstrider View Post
Thanks guys, I really appreciate the intel. With the age of these cars, I am trying to "safely" power these things.

Had a good talk with T-2, and he is building me a custom stealthy relay connection for my fuse block. Can't wait to see the electrical sexiness!!!!!

When I get this thing back on the road, I can go topless while keeping the biscuits warm..... even in CA.

Pussy !

I run a Targa with no roof into November in Canada with no heated seats or other such pussyfication devices.
2014 Nissan Murano (Audi Support Vehicle)
Old 09-28-2017, 09:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by theiceman View Post
Pussy !

I run a Targa with no roof into November in Canada with no heated seats or other such pussyfication devices.
Baaaaaaaaaaahahahaha

Actually, it's the wife's that I gotta keep warm......... I sure don't want it going alll Olaf and becoming like the movie "Frozen"

1978 911SC Targa
Old 09-29-2017, 08:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

timmy is the man
Old 10-02-2017, 05:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by T77911S View Post
timmy is the man

Yeah, you are not kidding brother. He is the guru!!!!!

1978 911SC Targa
Old 10-02-2017, 10:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
ROW '78 911 Targa

Garage
This will do it.
Relay energized by switched power providing fused power from battery to his seat wiring.
Should be nice and tidy installed in the fuse panel.
Old 10-02-2017, 11:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmy2 View Post
This will do it.

Relay energized by switched power providing fused power from battery to his seat wiring.

Should be nice and tidy installed in the fuse panel.

I'm like a kid waiting for Christmas to arrive.......

1978 911SC Targa
Old 10-03-2017, 04:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage

A box of electrical sexiness arrived today. WOOT! WOOT!

Ohhhh Yeaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!ChickaChickahhhhhhhh.........

1978 911SC Targa

Last edited by bugstrider; 10-06-2017 at 07:34 AM..
Old 10-05-2017, 06:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage

I also finished up the bracket for the heated seat switches. Wanted a clean look but it also to be functional and easy to see. I ended up using the existing center console.

Plastic insert used to mount the AC fan and temp knob. Seems like a logical place to begin. Mounting holes and line pass through hole drilled.

Aluminum angle drilled out for the rocker switches and attachment stainless steel mounting bolts prior to paint and fitment test.

Flat cut aluminum angle cut to use as a solid backing plate for the plastic.

I decided to offset the angle alum due to the slight bevel of the plastic. By doing this, it prevented a small gap that would have been visible.

This is how it will appear in console in the car after some SEMS satin trim paint, door edging and stainless hex bolt/lock washer and nut.

Found a good way to prevent the retention tabs from releasing the rocker switches.

Another good unplanned use of a coffee creamer stir stick.

Overall, I'm pleased with the results. Functional, clean and not too obvious.

1978 911SC Targa

Last edited by bugstrider; 10-07-2017 at 07:38 AM..
Old 10-05-2017, 09:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage

So today I worked a bit on mounting the harness, relay, power lines and switch wires.

Was attempting to figure out the best way to secure the relay so that it sits above the actual floor of the car. So in our case, this is what I derived for our particular arrangement.

Utilizing the formed groove of the seat rail base, I drilled holes and utilized stainless hardware keeping everything below the rail surface.

Relay in place on the rear inside rail and elevated off of the floor.

Then I drilled two small holes in the forward groove so I could attach a zip tie keeping the harness inline and secured. Guess I have some toothbrush cleaning to due to remove the 30 year old dried coffee spill.

Once I rapped the harness with the plastic sleeve followed with electrical tape. I utilized the zip tie to secure the harness, giving the wires some protection. While keeping it concealed under the seat rail.

I then proceeded to label the connectors to keep things straight. Also labeled the lines as well. This was to prevent the "mystery" line in the future.

1978 911SC Targa

Last edited by bugstrider; 10-11-2017 at 05:38 AM..
Old 10-10-2017, 08:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage

After the majority of the harness was wrapped and secured, I proceeded to run the power supply lines into the frunk and to Timmy2's relay base.

Using an existing harness pass through, I found my path. I wrapped each perspective power supply line with electrical tape in an attempt to give it a clean look.

From the frunk side, the two wrapped lines. Utilized a red zip tie to help pull the lines through. Just in case anyone is wondering, the black tubing that looks like an esophagus, is a new drain hose that collects water from the air box and then drops it through the bottom of the car to drain. The OEM one was all brittle and cracked, needing replacement.

Pass through with rubber grommet being sure to keep it clear of the steering linkage.

From this point, I ran out of daylight before snaking it over to the relay base.

Today's bipolar helper

1978 911SC Targa

Last edited by bugstrider; 10-10-2017 at 10:10 PM..
Old 10-10-2017, 09:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: