Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe payne View Post
(1) Submission of proof that the motor vehicle is insured as a collector motor vehicle, as shall be required by regulation of the bureau.

These special collector car insurance companies have strict rules as to where the car, and how the car is primarily stored or garaged. If you live in a condo or apt., they will not insure your car.

If I'm wrong, please let me know who to call.
The collector car companies generally do want the car garaged if they're going to insure you, but I'm not aware of any limitations on condos or apartments. If that's a consideration just call Hagerty and ask-super nice people to deal with.
Old 10-19-2017, 02:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)
My other ride is a C-130J

Garage
Iím using American Collectors Insurance and have been very happy with them for years. Here are their requirements to insure a collector car.

ĒWe will consider ANY vehicle that has collector merit and is appreciating in value however we require that they are:

1) Driven on a limited basis and not as a daily driver. (Less than 2000 miles per year)
2) Not used for racing, timed events or Driverís Education.
3) Kept in an enclosed, locked garage (alternate garaging options may be permitted; contact our representative).Ē
Previously Owned Art from Stuttgart
2000 Boxster -1983 911 SC Cab -1984 944 N/A
Old 10-20-2017, 06:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)

Garage
Has anyone called the DMV or CARB to see how the interpret or how they will execute this new law?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-20-2017, 07:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)

The only advantage I see here is if you have an engine swap to a newer flat 6, other than that it sounds useless.
Old 10-20-2017, 10:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPDADCT View Post
The only advantage I see here is if you have an engine swap to a newer flat 6, other than that it sounds useless.
Not quite sure I'd agree with that.

Basically you can run whatever you want now so long as it meets that years standard. That opens up a huge number of parts and engine options.

More broadly than just 911s this means you and put modern systems and whole engines in a huge number of cars now that were just not viable before.

Last edited by tdskip; 10-20-2017 at 11:36 AM..
Old 10-20-2017, 10:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdskip View Post
Not quite sure I'd agree with that.

Basically you can run whatever you want now so long as it meets that years standard. That opens up a huge number of parts and engine options.

More broadly than just 911s this means you and put modern systems and whole engines in a huge number of cars now that were just not viable before.
Just keep in mind that the new law only exempts the visual inspection from the biannual smog checks. If you are to sell the car or a new owner in California buys it, it will be subject to the the complete inspection, including visual. You may get away with visual if you, the seller, get a smog certificate for the buyer, as prescribed by law, and the check station is not savvy about what is required. Still, the threat is out there if one goes too far with engine modifications as any indication that the car is not OG disqualifies it as a collector.
Stabilized on a Pelican I.V. drip
Old 10-20-2017, 12:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ossiblue View Post
Just keep in mind that the new law only exempts the visual inspection from the biannual smog checks. If you are to sell the car or a new owner in California buys it, it will be subject to the the complete inspection, including visual. You may get away with visual if you, the seller, get a smog certificate for the buyer, as prescribed by law, and the check station is not savvy about what is required. Still, the threat is out there if one goes too far with engine modifications as any indication that the car is not OG disqualifies it as a collector.
Extremely important caveat - thank you for tempering my enthusiasm.
Old 10-20-2017, 12:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)

The contradictions and vagueness are baffling.

Who writes these laws? Are they intentionally vague or just a case of govt people phoning it in and not thinking about actual implementation?

If I was writing the law it would be a rolling cutoff and a simple emissions test- after all, what is trying to be achieved is cleaner air. Car has to be as clean as standard for that year. Discounts on registration costs if you clean up the emissions further.

One idling container ship in long beach would pump out more emissions in an hour than the entire 30 year old fleet in California would in a year.
Old 10-20-2017, 05:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)
My other ride is a C-130J

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastr View Post

Who writes these laws? Are they intentionally vague or just a case of govt people phoning it in and not thinking about actual implementation?

If I was writing the law it would be a rolling cutoff and a simple emissions test- after all, what is trying to be achieved is cleaner air. Car has to be as clean as standard for that year. Discounts on registration costs if you clean up the emissions further.

One idling container ship in long beach would pump out more emissions in an hour than the entire 30 year old fleet in California would in a year.
The same morons who removed the penalty of AUTOMATIC felony if using a firearm during a crime (it is now a misdemeanor) and the same idiots who allow you to Choose Male/Female/ or Gender X on state documents. Believe me I could go on forever, but the issue is moot as Comrade Jerry Brown is pursuing legislation which would within 10 Years ban internal combustion engines in California.

Your suggestion makes far too much sense, therefore we will never see it, BUT tack on some type of regulation/tax/penalty and Governer Head Up His @$$ will sign it.

Iím still pissed off about those damn vapor recovery gas cans.
Previously Owned Art from Stuttgart
2000 Boxster -1983 911 SC Cab -1984 944 N/A
Old 10-20-2017, 07:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RNajarian View Post
Comrade Jerry Brown is pursuing legislation which would within 10 Years ban internal combustion engines in California.

Your suggestion makes far too much sense, therefore we will never see it, BUT tack on some type of regulation/tax/penalty and Governer Head Up His @$$ will sign it.

Iím still pissed off about those damn vapor recovery gas cans.
Any ban on combustion engines would only be for new over controlled computer driven electrical nightmare vehicles that nobody wants to hobby with anyway. It won't effect the joy of owning an air cooled classic. In fact, it will only serve to make our Air P cars that much more valuable.
Old 10-20-2017, 11:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #50 (permalink)

Garage
No politics please - let's focus on the provisions of the law.

The big caveat is what inspection is needed upon sale it would seem.
Old 10-21-2017, 06:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #51 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastr View Post

This is why the legislation was written the way it was, forgetting about the legalese which can make it difficult to understand.

The overall intent of all the emission laws is to reduce the number of older cars on the roads whose emissions are at a lower standard than newer vehicles, and to do it in a way that doesn't overly burden owners of older cars who cannot afford a newer vehicle. The laws attempt to remove the higher polluting vehicles by attrition. The law doesn't want to encourage the continued use of higher polluting vehicles by allowing them to simply meet the tailpipe test for their model year because that standard continues to pollute at higher levels than newer cars. Writing the law as you suggest would undermine the overall goal of the legislation--get older, higher polluting cars off the road.

The new amendment creates an opening for special interest cars, a very very small percentage of higher polluting vehicles, without opening the floodgates for all older cars to remain on the road. That is the intent, and that's why the laws and the new amendment were written as they were. Vague? Maybe, but there needed to be flexibility in interpretation to allow collector cars to be identified yet to disallow simple daily driver older cars, regardless if they meet tailpipe standards or not.

Last edited by ossiblue; 10-21-2017 at 09:27 AM..
Old 10-21-2017, 08:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #52 (permalink)
Eng-o-neer

Wait...Wait, wait, wait...Does this mean I can get my '84 with a 3.6 legally registered in California in 2019 as long as it passes a sniff test? I'm moving out there in a month or two and this is huge news. I was thinking about selling the car!

This is the only human-language thread I can find on this law...I'm surprised it's not all over the classic car forums.

Last edited by Tremelune; 10-28-2017 at 01:23 PM..
Old 10-28-2017, 11:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #53 (permalink)

Garage
the WAIT!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tremelune View Post
Wait...Wait, wait, wait...Does this mean I can get my '84 with a 3.6 legally registered in California in 2019 as long as it passes a sniff test? I'm moving out there in a month or two and this is huge news. I was thinking about selling the car!
I think we are all waiting "patiently" for 2019 to arrive!
Old 10-28-2017, 12:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #54 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Maybe - still some grey zone on what happens for a purchase where presumably a visual will be required or upon a new car entering.
Old 10-28-2017, 12:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #55 (permalink)

Quote:

This is the only human-language thread I can find on this law...I'm surprised it's not all over the classic car forums.
No.

All first time registrations or changes in registration require a smog check including the visual. The law change only applies to the biennial smog check, not initial registrations. Once registered, an exempt car does not need a visual but does require a tailpipe test. You may get lucky and find a tech that doesn't know the differences, but that is a gamble.
Old 10-28-2017, 04:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #56 (permalink)
Eng-o-neer

aw man
Old 10-29-2017, 08:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #57 (permalink)

Garage
What are the chances of passing the sniffer test with a stock Carrera 3.2 engine running headers and no cat?
Old 11-08-2017, 12:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #58 (permalink)
Driver

Garage
Quote:
aw man
Unless you know someone.

(I don't.)
Old 11-08-2017, 12:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #59 (permalink)
San Ramon, CA

Quote:

You always could get that car registered. Go read the rules.
Old 11-08-2017, 04:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #60 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: