Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Turbo Powered Snow Blower

Garage
California AB1274 Emission Exemption Passed.

I'm not posting this for political discussion. I want to see if I understand the coming changes.

Yesterday Gov. Brown signed AB 1274 Emission Exemption into Law starting 2019. Here are the details.
There are a bunch of exemption changes and fees. But the part for older vehicles is this.

Bill Text - AB-1274 Smog check: exemption.

(a) All motor vehicles powered by internal combustion engines that are registered within an area designated for program coverage shall be required biennially to obtain a certificate of compliance or noncompliance, except for the following:

(c) For purposes of subdivision (a), a collector motor vehicle, as defined in Section 259 of the Vehicle Code, is exempt from those portions of the test required by subdivision (f) of Section 44012 if the collector motor vehicle meets all of the following criteria:

(1) Submission of proof that the motor vehicle is insured as a collector motor vehicle, as shall be required by regulation of the bureau.
(2) The motor vehicle is at least 35 model-years old.
(3) The motor vehicle complies with the exhaust emissions standards for that motor vehicle’s class and model-year as prescribed by the department, and the motor vehicle passes a functional inspection of the fuel cap and a visual inspection for liquid fuel leaks.

Section 259 Collector Vehicle is so vague anyone could claim they are a collector and it's a collector vehicle.

259. Law section
“Collector motor vehicle” means a motor vehicle owned by a collector, as defined in subdivision (a) of Section 5051, and the motor vehicle is used primarily in shows, parades, charitable functions, and historical exhibitions for display, maintenance, and preservation, and is not used primarily for transportation.
(Added by Stats. 2004, Ch. 107, Sec. 1. Effective January 1, 2005.)

5051.Law section
As used in this article, unless the context otherwise requires:
(a) “Collector” is the owner of one or more vehicles described in Section 5004 or of one or more special interest vehicles, as defined in this article, who collects, purchases, acquires, trades, or disposes of the vehicle, or parts thereof, for his or her own use, in order to preserve, restore, and maintain the vehicle for hobby or historical purposes.

5004Law section
(a)*Notwithstanding any other provision of this code, any owner of a vehicle described in paragraph (1), (2), or (3) which is operated or moved over the highway primarily for the purpose of historical exhibition or other similar purpose shall, upon application in the manner and at the time prescribed by the department, be issued special identification plates for the vehicle:
(3)*A vehicle which was manufactured after 1922, is at least 25 years old, and is of historic interest.

The law states that Collector Vehicles are exempt from tests required by section 44012 subdivision (f).

44012.Law section.
(f) A visual or functional check is made of emission control devices specified by the department, including the catalytic converter in those instances in which the department determines it to be necessary to meet the findings of Section 44001. The visual or functional check shall be performed in accordance with procedures prescribed by the department.

So if I am reading all of this correctly; vehicles 35 years and older are exempt from a visual inspection if they have collector car insurance. But will still need to pass the tail pipe test.
It also seems I may need historic plates and belong to a club. PCA

How do you understand this?

Old 10-11-2017, 08:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Quote:
So if I am reading all of this correctly; vehicles 35 years and older are exempt from a visual inspection if they have collector car insurance. But will still need to pass the tail pipe test.
It also seems I may need historic plates and belong to a club. PCA

How do you understand this?
I understand it the same way, except the need to join a club. The definition of "collector" is broad and does not require any formal identification that an owner is a collector. Basically, the state doesn't want the vehicle to be a daily driver.

I don't see you need plates either. Section 5004 states that any vehicle described in paragraphs 1, 2, and 3, "shall, upon application in the manner and at the time prescribed by the department, be issued special identification plates for the vehicle:"

I interpret that to mean those cars can be issued collector plates, if the owner wants them. I don't see it as a requirement that those cars, in order to be classified as "collector", have the plates. A collector car is defined by section 259, not by having plates attached,

Collector motor vehicle” means a motor vehicle owned by a collector, as defined in subdivision (a) of Section 5051,".

Subdivision (a) of Section 5051 says, “Collector” is the owner of one or more vehicles described in Section 5004 or of one or more special interest vehicles, as defined in this article," Note the bold. A special interest vehicle is defined by paragraph (b) of Section 5051, “Special interest vehicle” is a vehicle of an age that is unaltered from the manufacturer’s original specifications and, because of its significance, including, but not limited to, an out-of-production vehicle or a model of less than 2,000 sold in California in a model-year, is collected, preserved, restored, or maintained by a hobbyist as a leisure pursuit."
Stabilized on a Pelican I.V. drip

Last edited by ossiblue; 10-11-2017 at 10:11 AM..
Old 10-11-2017, 09:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
I agree that it reads you need a fuel cap test, visual fuel leaks (not sure where they would be looking? On the engine or just on the ground? But, obviously up near the fuel tank to start.), an emissions test per the model year and class of vehicle (tail pipe test), and collector car insurance (proof via a letter, specific company, or noted on the insurance card).

So this eliminates the visual inspection of emissions related equipment (smog pumps, CATs, and aftermarket items). What is confusing is a "special interest vehicle" needs to be unaltered from OEM specifications. What does that really mean? Will the DMV need proof it is unaltered? What about cosmetic items like wheels? How would they ensure the engine is OEM without a visual inspection? I could go full EFI on the car and still make it pass emissions with a proper tune to do that.

I know it was just passed and it gives them a year to figure out how they will enact it but what are the thoughts of the crowd? I ask because I have an '89 930 that is modified and I dont have any OEM items to bring it back to stock (which I dont want to anyways). I am only seven years away from being a part of this bill. I am military so I dont have to register the car until I retire, which conveniently is when my car would turn 35.
Old 10-11-2017, 01:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
After some research, I do not think anything has changed in this part of the legislation with regards to collector cars and emissions testing. I think the change has to do with changing the 6 year exemption for new cars to 8 years, and increasing the fee associated with having the car be exempt for an additional 2 years.
Old 10-11-2017, 01:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
ASE Master Tech - 25 yrs

Garage
- clear as mud

does this mean all our previously exempt pre-1976 cars must now go thru a regular smog-check along with meeting the new collector rules ?

If it works, take it apart and find out Why.
Old 10-11-2017, 08:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrym View Post
- clear as mud

does this mean all our previously exempt pre-1976 cars must now go thru a regular smog-check along with meeting the new collector rules ?
No.

The law is to amend a regulation that applies to cars that have to be checked. 1975 and older cars are exempt from testing altogether. This amendment is meant to reduce the number of newer cars from getting tested by exempting cars up to eight years old. Additionally, it allows exemptions for some post-1975 cars if they meet the collector standards. Finally, the collector car exemption is now a rolling exemption as it applies only to cars that are 35 years old or older, currently 1984 when the law takes effect, but will include later cars each year thereafter.

If you read the entire text of the law, it is spelled out in the summary. Clink on the link in the OP's post.
Stabilized on a Pelican I.V. drip
Old 10-11-2017, 09:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Well if I understand it correct and the visual inspection is not applicable to my car.
Then I could install EFI and improve the emissions at the tail pipe and be legal. Because I am a collector, this is a collector car and I have the Hagerty Ins. to prove it.

The interesting part will be when I go to get a exhaust emissions only test.
Old 10-11-2017, 10:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Please let this be TRUE! GREAT NEWS! ....OWNER OF 83 SC....next smog due Jan 2019!

Last edited by dynosoar1; 10-11-2017 at 10:25 PM..
Old 10-11-2017, 10:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by '76 911S 3.0 View Post
After some research, I do not think anything has changed in this part of the legislation with regards to collector cars and emissions testing. I think the change has to do with changing the 6 year exemption for new cars to 8 years, and increasing the fee associated with having the car be exempt for an additional 2 years.
+1. Nothing has changed with collector car part of legislation. I think you have to go to the referee to avoid the visual but do not know for sure. If anyone has done this, please share the experience..
Old 10-12-2017, 07:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

We'll all be old and many gone but in 40 years No gasoline powered autos will be allowed for use in CA. Glad I live elsewhere.
1969 911E targa Crystal Blue / Black
1968 SWB 912 "Stinger 912R 1677 lbs
Old 10-12-2017, 07:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by '76 911S 3.0 View Post
Yes that is part of it. The Collector car section is at the bottom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markhoward View Post
+1. Nothing has changed with collector car part of legislation. I think you have to go to the referee to avoid the visual but do not know for sure. If anyone has done this, please share the experience..
How often do you two have to read contracts, laws and regulations? I read lawyer every day. But its always good to get second or third opinions. Lawyers argue the meanings of words for a living.

In laymen terms this is what I read.
The collector car section has been added to the exemption section.
#1. It needs to be insured as a collector car. Meaning low mile per year usage. No daily drivers
#2. It needs to be 35 years old or older
#3. It needs to comply with "exhaust emissions standards for it's model year" Meaning tail pipe test.

If it meets all those then it is exempt from visual inspection section of HSC Code 44012 (f). Meaning exempt from visual inspections.

So if you read something I don't please provide the example and some reasoning for your view.

Old 10-12-2017, 10:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixer View Post
We'll all be old and many gone but in 40 years No gasoline powered autos will be allowed for use in CA. Glad I live elsewhere.
Good or bad, who can say ?
Old 10-12-2017, 04:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielDudley View Post
Good or bad, who can say ?
California Wants to Ban All Gas-Powered Cars - Hit & Run : Reason.com
1969 911E targa Crystal Blue / Black
1968 SWB 912 "Stinger 912R 1677 lbs
Old 10-12-2017, 04:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynosoar1 View Post
Please let this be TRUE! GREAT NEWS! ....OWNER OF 83 SC....next smog due Jan 2019!

Sounds like you are the guinea pig!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-12-2017, 06:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
So why would anyone do this? You still have to smog your 911. You cant take it for a weekend drive. Why even talk about this?
Old 10-13-2017, 07:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Triesch View Post
So why would anyone do this? You still have to smog your 911. You cant take it for a weekend drive. Why even talk about this?
Simple...proper tuning passes the sniffer....a missing cat does not.
Old 10-13-2017, 07:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Burnin' Rubber

California AB1274 Emission Exemption Passed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynosoar1 View Post
Simple...proper tuning passes the sniffer....a missing cat does not.

My car passes the Cali CARB sniffer with seriously low emissions sans Cat In fact, it runs cleaner than many almost new cars without it. Go figure. How about taking individual case-specific scenarios into account? Ok perhaps too much to ask...

But anyhow, the visual inspection will fail without the

Still have to get it smogged every year (not every 2 yrs) for some extortionist reason. No idea why $ hahaha $

My point is these amended changes change nothing. A Historic Vehicle status is great if your car is sitting at the Peterson Automotive Museum dripping oil onto the carpet. I wanna drive my car. Life is too damn short to just wipe off thumbprints off of it in my garage.
----------------------------

Last edited by Koizumi; 10-13-2017 at 09:05 AM..
Old 10-13-2017, 09:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Slippery Slope Expert

Garage
It galls me every tine I see that term “Zero Emissions.” It’s not zero emissions, the emissions have just been transferred to some remote, potentially more threatening source.

Having worked in the power industry I see red when I see one of those Nissan Leafs with that prominently displayed. Ignorant (and generally smug) owners!
Old 10-13-2017, 09:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
This is a big deal because you can pass smog without a visual inspection. That opens the door to ITBs and headers etc. I'm not sure what you mean by "You cant take it for a weekend drive"?
Old 10-13-2017, 11:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
I agree! Typical mumbo jumbo that has very little benefit to us.
I think most of us just wanted to change the ridiculous rules that make us smog test cars all the way back to 1976. Most of us would have been more pleased with a cut off similar to the 25 year rolling.

I just smogged my 78 and the smog technician told me that he will not test cars that are older than 1995 because it's a p.i.a. He smogged my car based on the fact that he liked it and I went to him two years ago and brought my receipt. No coupon can be used for the testing.

The Hot Rodding culture in California can be seen at Peterson Automotive Museum.
If you see a 1982 Porsche running a big turbo motor that's impressing you, assume the owner has to do some pretty lousy/Illegal things to drive it here.
Old 10-13-2017, 11:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: