Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Post Hood/latch alignment

I have an older 911 ('69) where the hood keeps poping open when I hit bumps. I replaced the lower hood latch assembly, which helped for a while. I've looked at the cable which seems tight. I'm not sure what the problem might be. Any ideas?

Dave
Old 10-29-2001, 10:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
I had the same problem with my 68. I fixed it by screwing the top latch post out a little longer and adjusting the rubber stops so that there wasn't so much tension on the latch when it was closed.

Robert
Old 10-29-2001, 10:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Red face

Please be VERY careful when playing with hood latch adjstments. Better read this former string before you begin. http://www.pelicanparts.com/ultimate/Forum3/HTML/014212.html
Old 10-29-2001, 11:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Yes i second that, be very careful. Also check to make sure that the snoot coming down from the hood isn't bent. Mine was and it caused the same problem for me. I tightened mine down and bent it back to fairly straight (eyeball judge) and it worked much better. Also make sure there's nothing sitting under the hood that bounces around and hits the hood from below, that can sometimes pop your hood loose if the latch is already marginally holding the hood shut.

Brad

[This message has been edited by bfranklin (edited 10-29-2001).]
Old 10-29-2001, 12:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Exclamation

I used to have the same problem with my '70 I also adjusted the top spring post to make it longer. I had to unscrew it from the top assembly and with alot of WD40 and a bench vice was finally able to adjust it. the PO lived with it for 5 years
Old 10-29-2001, 01:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I unscrewed the top post by about 1/2 turn and solved the problem. Thanks for the help.

Dave
Old 11-19-2001, 10:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

HOOD LATCH REPAIR

I had the same trouble with the hood popping up.

Attempts to adjust failed. Upon close insp. I could see that both upper and lower latches were worn and needed replacing. Easy job unless hood is tweaked. You may have to ream out the upper attachment to hood holes to get alignment in the following detail.

To adjust: Put a small piece of clay in the lower hole and gently lower the hood. Assure alignment is in the center of the hole.

Adjust the lower latch on the cable so that the latch has maximum protrusion into the hole AFTER YOU TIGHTEN THE SCREW AND RELEASE EVERYTHING.

This may take a bit of adjusting to get, but it is absolutely critical. This is also the most misunderstood/missed part of hood adjustment.

Close the hood and press down on it gently to determine how much to move the bolt. You should have the slightest of movement.

Porsche hoods should lower and latch very gently with minimal effort. they should also pop up when the latch is pulled.

Good luck
73 911 No longer Targa-3.2L Running GT4
88 Carrera G50

Last edited by SRT356/911; 11-19-2001 at 12:17 PM..
Old 11-19-2001, 12:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: