Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by douglas bray View Post
My question is (if I may) does your Heim joint thread as far up the turbo tie-rods as mine? Clint said the arm and bumpstop set up looks correct but I forgot to ask about the treats.
We have about 0.5" of threads showing - - only a little more than yours. And, we haven't done a final toe alignment yet.

Regards,
Previous Porsches: 1958 356 Red Coupe - 1972 914 Blue -1972 911T Coupe Aubergine
Old 01-05-2018, 05:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

OK, cool. I set the position of the lower steering arm so that the head of the Allen bolt sat flush on the milled surface on the top of the original steering arm. I mocked-up the entire assembly with the bump spacers, the new arm, the Heim, the Allen, and the nuts then tac welded the new arm myself then took the entire strut and spindle to the finish welder in a jig. (The owner and the top welder at Global West Suspension are friends of mine.).....but I'd never done this mod prior and there are no tutorials.
Old 01-05-2018, 06:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Garage
End of story

After some delay (Clint got the Flu bug)we were able to
R/R front suspension and install a 935 Kit made by ERP sold thru Tarett. Photo of
new 935 front suspension:

We will be replacing the lower ball joint rods with 20MM longer parts in the next few weeks . . .
because we could only get 2.5 degrees of camber on the right side -3.5 on left OK.

My son set new NASA Class track time records for Time Trial and Race on Saturday . . .
However, on Sunday in the second session the left rear stub axle broke causing some
body damage as well as hub and brake rotor failure. This wasn't unexpected - still a
shock when it does happen. My son - the driver - and spectators were not injured - but
the wheel/tire did take a flying leap out of the track fence - very fortunate/lucky.

Thanks for your feedback on spindle failures - this Forum is always very helpful.
And, thanks to Clint at Rebel for great help/advice, new RSR struts w/bump steer
. . . and Ira at Tarett for extended discussions and parts service.

Regards,
Previous Porsches: 1958 356 Red Coupe - 1972 914 Blue -1972 911T Coupe Aubergine

Last edited by Sboxin; 01-31-2018 at 12:40 PM..
Old 01-31-2018, 10:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

See my post #17.

In my case, the right rear had a failure... that was back in 2009 with the wife driving. 1975 chassis but I don't really know if the hub and/or stub axle were original to the car. In 2009 the car had seen 7 seasons as a race car.

My friend's 911 race car had both front and rear hub failures recently. Separate incidents on track. 1986 930 chassis, but don't know the history of the parts.

The statistics on these parts may be changing.

Who knows what MTBF design thinking/specs/execution went into the development and/or manufacture of these parts?

I think that folks should keep an eye on this.

Glad no one was hurt.

I too have the Eisenlohr Racing Products 935-style front suspension. I augmented my set-up with the Tarett camber plates-- great company (Thanks again Ira), great parts. I set my lower arms carefully in the track range I wanted and with a range of topside camber adjustment for the tires I use. This took some time but was well worth the effort.
Porsche Racing Club #4
BMWCCA
NASA
Old 01-31-2018, 04:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahler9th View Post
See my post #17.

In my case, the right rear had a failure... that was back in 2009 with the wife driving. 1975 chassis but I don't really know if the hub and/or stub axle were original to the car. In 2009 the car had seen 7 seasons as a race car.

My friend's 911 race car had both front and rear hub failures recently. Separate incidents on track. 1986 930 chassis, but don't know the history of the parts.

The statistics on these parts may be changing.

Who knows what MTBF design thinking/specs/execution went into the development and/or manufacture of these parts?

I think that folks should keep an eye on this.

Glad no one was hurt.

I too have the Eisenlohr Racing Products 935-style front suspension. I augmented my set-up with the Tarett camber plates-- great company (Thanks again Ira), great parts. I set my lower arms carefully in the track range I wanted and with a range of topside camber adjustment for the tires I use. This took some time but was well worth the effort.
Thanks Mike for your thoughts/experiences on spindle/axle failures. We are thinking
now these are parts that need magna flux (?) or something every few years - - or - -
replace every few years. The front struts and rear stub axles are expensive - but -
may be necessary for racing Porsches (move to operating cost category).

Some Porsche track folks we have talked to have reduced their tire/wheel width size to
guard against these failures.

Well, back under the car to repair the damage . . .

Regards,
Old 01-31-2018, 06:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

You are welcome.

I decided to buy replacement hubs and stub axles as pairs when I had my failure. I went to Partsheaven which is about 20 minutes from where I live and tried to get parts off of cars I could see. Then I had everything cracked checked-- even my spares.

My wife had an exciting ride as it was a right rear failure at a high speed in a left hand sweeper under load. At the time she was already an experienced and accomplished driver. When it happened, the wheel and tire set sail-- big 13 x 16 racing slick. It knocked off the s-hose on the oil tank as it left. The oil dumped onto the headers and there was a flash fire.

The brake caliper broke off the trailing arm, and we never found the brake rotor. The right rear quarter panel and the rear bumper were both ripped in half.

The worse part was not having all four wheels to load it back on the trailer. Thankfully I was able to call a friend headed to the track for an event the next day and he grabbed some parts from his bin before he left home. It was a June event at Thunderhill. Before my friend arrived, the heavens opened up. car was covered in dirt, straw and oil and exposed to the pouring rain for a few minutes. Bummer. Now I carry spares.

I had just 2-3 weeks to get everything back together for an important race.

I have Porsche racing friends locally that have been at it for a really long time... quite a few with pro level experience from the high (pardon the pun) days of IMSA. And recent factory team experience. They are good resources for perspective.

Some of them worked together on a 25 hour team. They won overall many times. The very first one of those wins included a late race stub axle replacement. 70's area 911 race car with a warm 3.6 and Toyo DOT tiress. That year they were featured on an ESPN show about the 25. Team Lost and Spaced.
Porsche Racing Club #4
BMWCCA
NASA

Last edited by Mahler9th; 01-31-2018 at 06:51 PM..
Old 01-31-2018, 06:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks Mike,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahler9th View Post
My wife had an exciting ride as it was a right rear failure at a high speed in a left hand sweeper under load. At the time she was already an experienced and accomplished driver. When it happened, the wheel and tire set sail-- big 13 x 16 racing slick. It knocked off the s-hose on the oil tank as it left. The oil dumped onto the headers and there was a flash fire.

The brake caliper broke off the trailing arm, and we never found the brake rotor. The right rear quarter panel and the rear bumper were both ripped in half.
A couple of photos for those of you interested in our rear wheel/stub axle failure - -
Replacing both sides with new Porsche parts . . .
Regards,

Old 02-01-2018, 12:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
Counterclockwise?

Garage
Scary
A bunch of stuff with spark plugs
Old 02-01-2018, 12:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Yikes.

I forgot to mention...

in ours, the right rear tire wheel was retrieved by the track workers... it was a turn away. They brought it in 15-30 minutes after the car was brought in.

The wheel was damaged... so I got to buy another rim half.
Porsche Racing Club #4
BMWCCA
NASA
Old 02-01-2018, 05:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Have you encountered any problems when you pressed the wheel bearing spacers onto the Bilstein RSR strut spindles? Does it require new parts?
Old 02-08-2018, 08:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by P3lico View Post
Have you encountered any problems when you pressed the wheel bearing spacers onto the Bilstein RSR strut spindles? Does it require new parts?
No problems - But we used new parts, did not reuse old parts.

Regards,
Old 02-09-2018, 04:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: