Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Location: Placerville, CA.... You know, the only place on Highway 50 between Sacramento and Lake Tahoe the you find signal lights. Above the fog most of the time and I can see the stars of the Milky Way 8 out of 10 nights. Kinda cool.....
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmy2 View Post

Thanks Dennis,

I will be seriously looking into a tool. Especially since I am looking at the 912's too

Trev

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1978 911SC Targa
Working Projects: 1968 912
Old 10-25-2017, 06:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
ROW '78 911 Targa

Garage
Hi Trev,
Your 912 would likely have all soldered wire ends originally.
Ferrules are a nice improvement.
Old 10-25-2017, 06:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
abides.

Garage
amazon also has some cheaper crimpers.
Link
Old 10-25-2017, 07:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Location: Placerville, CA.... You know, the only place on Highway 50 between Sacramento and Lake Tahoe the you find signal lights. Above the fog most of the time and I can see the stars of the Milky Way 8 out of 10 nights. Kinda cool.....
Garage
My "ReFuze" panel upgrade adventure

Part 3:

A word in the nylon threaded self locking screws. It is very important to pay heed to the "instructions" of not over torquing them as you tighten the wires down. Because these have a larger head than the OEM set screws, I recommend using two different screwdrivers. The OEM required a smaller, thinner blade to loosen from the block. If you use this thinner blade, it will have too much play/slop to be effective in the nylon screw and potentially damaging the head.
OEM set screw

New nylon set screw

I used a bigger screwdriver with a thicker blade to run the nylon screws out and in of the new ReFuze block. Here is the catch, with the bigger screw driver come a lot more torque. I was careful in turning the nylon lock screws down on the wires as I secured them. As the nylon screws begin to tighten, it is very easy to go "too" far and damage them unnecessarily. To avoid this, I actually used the collar of the larger screw driver with my index finger and thumb. This technique allowed me to better judge the amount of force I was applying to the nylon threads. Doing this slowly will allow you to see how tight the nylon screw becomes and any flex between the threads and head of the nylon screw if you go too far.

As before, I began with installing and securing the lower wires sequentially and then started in the upper wire set. Once both lower and upper wires were secure, I then mounted the entire block on the chassis mount. This allowed any needed manipulation to get the mounting holes to align.

Once this was completed, I lined up the old OEM torpedo fuse block with the new ReFuze It block and began inserting the appropriate fuses.

Relays and fuses installed and ready for the cover.

An added bonus is that the new connection openings in the ReFuze It block allow just a little extra room to allow me to hook up "timmy2's" seat heater relay he built for me.

The last step for me to do is hook the battery up and test it out. I still need to button up a few things before I can do that. I honestly feel that this last step will be uneventful unless I did something incorrectly. My next step is to install the new upgrade to the three position fuse in the engine bay. I'll post that adventure too.

In all, this is an easy no-brainer upgrade. The instructions are easy to follow and I hope my thread assists anyone looking to do the same. I strongly recommend the ReFuse kit, the designer really though of all aspects in his design. In this kit you also get the engine bay upgrade as well, all needed hardware and some spares.

Please feel free to drop me a line if you have any questions about what or why I did things.

Cheers Trevor
Aka: Bugs

If you have any questions on application or fit for your particular vehicle's needs. I highly recommend that you reach out to the designer Alan. He is super easy to talk to and will give you the facts you need. He can be reached through his web site.
Alan Louwerse
CDD Autogear, LLC
www.cddautogear.com

1978 911SC Targa

Last edited by bugstrider; 10-25-2017 at 10:31 AM..
Old 10-25-2017, 08:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
Flyin' blind

Garage
Thanks for the detailed description Trevor. This is on my short list...

1989 Carrera Coupe
1991 Volvo 240
Old 10-25-2017, 09:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
Always Be Fixing Cars

Very nice repro part especially replicating the factory jumpers. But if one is willing to compromise some on the look of the original there are certainly a great many high quality ATC/ATO fuse blocks that accept more easily crimped ring terminals at a great fraction of that price. I used several from BlueSea Systems when I totally re-did the electrical system on my Alfa.
Old 10-25-2017, 09:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc View Post
amazon also has some cheaper crimpers.
Link

Thanks!!

1978 911SC Targa
Old 10-25-2017, 10:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Garage
Good writeup and pics to follow along Bugs. No surprises eh? Too short wires after cleaning up ends, etc?
7's and 9's, Steve W chip
Kuehl AC and fresh top end
Old 10-25-2017, 11:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by carreradpt View Post
Good writeup and pics to follow along Bugs. No surprises eh? Too short wires after cleaning up ends, etc?
Thanks, I was shooting for a useful reference thread. I have been helped out on so many different levels by other's posts, I was just trying to give a little back.

The only surprises I got were with my own frayed wires.
After cutting them back and putting solder on them, I still had room to manipulate them. The very first bottom wire on the fuse closest to the battery was tight, but still workable.

Because I thought there might be an access restriction for the bottom wires I'd figured to make things easier, I began each reinstall with the bottoms wires first. This allowed me to angle the new fuse block such that access was easier. Some of the wires could be coaxed out a little bit by being careful. If you mount the new fuse block on the chassis mount prior to installing the wires, there might be a length restriction, but I'm not 100%. The hard part is each car is probably different on the wire length. Ours is a 78 SC Targa.

Another Pelican that goes by "Steam Driver" also posted a good write-up to his experience with the ReFuze It upgrade kit. I believe his is a later model too and might have different feedback on wire length.

The upgrade will go rather quickly if everything is in order in your car. A quick 2-3 hours taking your time. I took longer because of the wire end delay and my OCD numbering protocol. I laugh at that but it did help keep things in order. I also consider working on our 911 as my "decompression time" and enjoy the work. I just wish I had a shop/garage to do it in.

Cheers Trev

1978 911SC Targa

Last edited by bugstrider; 10-25-2017 at 07:19 PM..
Old 10-25-2017, 11:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Garage
If one or more of the nylon screws were damaged on installation, couldn't solid brass screws be used as replacements?

By the way, great write-up, thanks for posting!
1982 924 White, SOLD long ago
1966 912 Red, SOLD, totaled a week later by its new owner
Old 10-25-2017, 12:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFP View Post
If one or more of the nylon screws were damaged on installation, couldn't solid brass screws be used as replacements?

By the way, great write-up, thanks for posting!
That's a good question, so I'm unsure. That would be a good question to ask Alan the designer. I'm thinking the nylon set screws are another step in the safety chain on an accidental short. I am totally speculating on that by the way.

My pleasure on the write up. It was a fun project that adds a piece of mind regarding the electrics.

Cheers

1978 911SC Targa

Last edited by bugstrider; 10-25-2017 at 07:02 PM..
Old 10-25-2017, 01:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks bugs for that excellent install thread! Thanks too to Timmy 2 for all you support.

RFP as bugs correctly speculated the nylon screws are used to prevent shorts between fuse positions and additionally to avoid putting excess stress on the wires/ferrules.

Covers for ReFuze for early cars up to 1973 have been prototyped and will be available within the next few weeks. The covers appear similar to OEM covers and are made to fit 8, 10 and 12 position ReFuze panels. I plan to have a retrofit kit for customers who have already purchased ReFuze for early cars.

Thanks to all who have purchased ReFuze and I welcome any feedback from you or questions from anyone contemplating ReFuzeing? Is that a word?

Last edited by CDD Autogear; 10-26-2017 at 12:56 PM..
Old 10-25-2017, 04:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Garage
I have a ferrule attachment for my crimper (love this crimper!)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CVH8JNO/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and am working on both my 912 and my 911 wiring. Considering a refuse for each (1988 and 1966) Am I understanding correctly that a ferule connection is better than solder? That would make my life much easier if that is the case? Timmy2?
1984 924s Nile Green Metallic with bone (totaled it in the snow in Cleveland, Ohio)
1983 911 White with Cherry Red...gave away (not enough time or money to keep it running) in 2001
Old 10-25-2017, 05:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)
ROW '78 911 Targa

Garage
Good price on that crumpet for the hobbiest.
I use a weidmuller PZ6 Roto. Very ergonomic.
Porsche went to ferrules for a reason.
Apply some anti oxidant occasionally and they will really hold up.
Old 10-25-2017, 06:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)
Formerly known as Syzygy

Quote:
Originally Posted by echecsqueen View Post
I have a ferrule attachment for my crimper (love this crimper!)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CVH8JNO/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and am working on both my 912 and my 911 wiring. Considering a refuse for each (1988 and 1966) Am I understanding correctly that a ferule connection is better than solder? That would make my life much easier if that is the case? Timmy2?
A negative aspect of tinning the wire with solder is that it wicks up inside the wire and stiffens it making it more susceptible to fatiguing from vibration and movement. As I understand, in the aviation industry only crimp on connectors are used and no soldering for that reason. I think a good solder connection would be stronger, but the negatives outweigh the positives.

1987 ROW coupe, Marine blue, with a couple extra goodies.

The cars we love the best are the ones with human traits, warts and all.
Old 10-25-2017, 07:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

Garage

Quote:
Good price on that crumpet for the hobbiest.
I use a weidmuller PZ6 Roto. Very ergonomic.
Porsche went to ferrules for a reason.
Apply some anti oxidant occasionally and they will really hold up.

That PZ6 tool my friend, is the bomb!!!
https://youtu.be/lL8AGNDVR2g

Daddy likes and daddy wants!!! Lol
Guess I better start working some overtime....

1978 911SC Targa

Last edited by bugstrider; 10-25-2017 at 07:54 PM..
Old 10-25-2017, 07:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)

Garage
so just to get this right..clean the wire, crimp on the ferrule dry (no flux or anything) and then screw the terminal in place.....? no tinning of the wire?
sorry for such a basic question
1984 924s Nile Green Metallic with bone (totaled it in the snow in Cleveland, Ohio)
1983 911 White with Cherry Red...gave away (not enough time or money to keep it running) in 2001
Old 10-25-2017, 07:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)
ROW '78 911 Targa

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by echecsqueen View Post
so just to get this right..clean the wire, crimp on the ferrule dry (no flux or anything) and then screw the terminal in place.....? no tinning of the wire?
sorry for such a basic question
That is it. I recommend a little Deoxit D5 to protect it from future corrosion.
Old 10-25-2017, 08:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

Garage

Quote:

Looking through this link, what pair would be the recommendation for the weekend hobbiest? I know it's a personal preference but if you were to recommend a particular set, what would it be?

Looking at any Jedi advise between the professional set you use and the lesser priced and lesser quality sets offered.

Thanks in advance,
Trev

1978 911SC Targa
Old 10-25-2017, 08:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)
ROW '78 911 Targa

Garage
Honestly, for the number you have to do, get the kit Queenie posted a link to.
Great price and versatile for many different crimping needs.
Old 10-25-2017, 08:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: