Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Location: Placerville, CA.... You know, the only place on Highway 50 between Sacramento and Lake Tahoe the you find signal lights. Above the fog most of the time and I can see the stars of the Milky Way 8 out of 10 nights. Kinda cool.....
Garage
My "ReFuze" panel upgrade adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobluforu View Post
All that work and money and its now out of sight.

Hahahahaha, yup. Can't seem to find that clear lexan cover I've been hearing about, although that exact thought did cross my mind. Simply because we all like to show off our goods..... the piece of mind is worth every penny and then some.

I couldn’t help myself..... thanks for the inspiration.

My additional CDD Autogear three fuse accessory block is exposed. I could call it "the teaser" with an arrow pointing right... the small flap is a 1/16” piece of high density foam placed there to protect the brass fittings from contact just incase I drop something from above. The supply line passes through it as well. This is something I added myself to prevent a possible short. Not elegant I know but functional.

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1978 911SC Targa
Working Projects: 1968 912

Last edited by bugstrider; 10-30-2017 at 11:24 AM..
Old 10-30-2017, 07:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #61 (permalink)

Garage
The extra 3 pole fuse panel would be ideal for 930 folks to install a separate fuse for the second fuel pump.
Old 10-30-2017, 07:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #62 (permalink)

Garage
Oh Bugs,
That OCD labeling made me feel so very happy and secure. A real trigger! Just to make you insanely jealous I thought I should share with you my permanent labeler....

yes, it stamps adhesive aluminum labels - Oh the Joy
1984 924s Nile Green Metallic with bone (totaled it in the snow in Cleveland, Ohio)
1983 911 White with Cherry Red...gave away (not enough time or money to keep it running) in 2001
Old 10-30-2017, 03:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #63 (permalink)

Location: Placerville, CA.... You know, the only place on Highway 50 between Sacramento and Lake Tahoe the you find signal lights. Above the fog most of the time and I can see the stars of the Milky Way 8 out of 10 nights. Kinda cool.....
Garage

RLMAO! You ROCK!

Now I'm off to eBay and Craigslist....Aluminum! That's freaking awesome...

1978 911SC Targa

Last edited by bugstrider; 10-30-2017 at 08:11 PM..
Old 10-30-2017, 08:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #64 (permalink)

Garage

1978 911SC Targa
Old 10-30-2017, 08:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #65 (permalink)
Old car guy.....

Garage
[QUOTE=bugstrider;9793283]For a visual reference:

Thanks for the close-up of this option, this really helps to understand the design.
Sorry CDD Autogear for the "plastic" comment. I now see there is a nylon screw into a well designed brass insert.

bugstrider:
Hahahahaha, yup. Can't seem to find that clear lexan cover I've been hearing about, although that exact thought did cross my mind. Simply because we all like to show off our goods..... the piece of mind is worth every penny and then some.
^^^^
You could always cut a hole in the cover and install a lexan "window" to show off your goods.
1981 SC Steel Widebody, DP Lid, 930/51 to 3.2l, K27 7006 Turbo, DOD, P&P Twin Plug heads, Twinfire Ignition, Ruf Intercooler, Powerhaus headers, Zork, CIS Euro FD, 009 injectors, 044 pump, BLwur, 930 4 sp LSD, Mocal 44 w/fan, LM2, Brembo, Retroair, Euromeisters
2003 BMW Z4 Daily Driver & Autocross car.
Old 10-31-2017, 04:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #66 (permalink)

Garage
aluminum labels
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BX9IJGE/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Dymo metal embosser
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FD7Z7I/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If anyone sources a clear fuse cover let me know
1984 924s Nile Green Metallic with bone (totaled it in the snow in Cleveland, Ohio)
1983 911 White with Cherry Red...gave away (not enough time or money to keep it running) in 2001
Old 10-31-2017, 06:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #67 (permalink)

Garage
Noted improvement measurement could be from cleaning up wiring, new panel, relays or all these. Didn't see in the article whether or not the relays were installed.
See the light with upgraded classic Porsche fuse panels - Ferdinand
Old 11-09-2017, 02:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #68 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro Joe View Post
Noted improvement measurement could be from cleaning up wiring, new panel, relays or all these. Didn't see in the article whether or not the relays were installed.
Our panels have the headlamp relays built in so they are always 'installed'.

Wolfgang bypassed the relays to do the comparison so all the other 'parameters' (wiring etc) are the same. He recorded an 18% improvement in light output using a calibrated light meter.
Old 11-09-2017, 02:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #69 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro Joe View Post
As many of you know, and may have already installed them, headlight relays greatly improve lighting performance.

Installing the JWest headlight relay kit or equivalent when upgrading to a ReFuze panel set will brighten those lights. If you have already installed headlight relays they will interface with ReFuze exactly as they did with the OEM panel with no modification.

With their exact fit form factor, ReFuze panels interface with any relay solution that worked with the OEM block, whether it is a 356, a 912 or a 911.

CDD Autogear manufactures ReFuze ATO fuse panels to retrofit all 356, 912 and 911 Porsches up to and including 1989

Last edited by CDD Autogear; 11-10-2017 at 05:11 PM..
Old 11-10-2017, 04:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #70 (permalink)

Garage
Bugs, thanks to your write up, I ordered mine and installed yesterday! I appreciated your tips.
Old 11-19-2017, 06:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #71 (permalink)
Text me.828-230-0788

Garage
On MY install. I found that a few of the provided fuses were rated too low. They quickly popped and I replaced them with the proper rated ones. No issues since then.
Old 11-19-2017, 06:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #72 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bob View Post
On MY install. I found that a few of the provided fuses were rated too low. They quickly popped and I replaced them with the proper rated ones. No issues since then.
mine was supplied with multiple wrong fuses too. I am picking some up for the test today.

CORRECTION:

Apparently there are not 8 amp blade style fuses readily available so the 7.5 fuses that were supplied with my kit are in fact the correct ones.

Last edited by echecsqueen; 11-20-2017 at 05:20 PM.. Reason: correction
Old 11-19-2017, 07:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #73 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by echecsqueen View Post
Bugs, thanks to your write up, I ordered mine and installed yesterday! I appreciated your tips.

My pleasure on the write up. It was my way of paying it forward to all the great threads that have helped me out.

Besides, Alan builds such a quality upgrade to our cars, I attempted to give it the just credit it truly deserves.

1978 911SC Targa
Old 11-23-2017, 05:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #74 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny H View Post
The terminals on our panels are metal:

Curious why the tiny resistors?

Jason
Old 12-29-2017, 10:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #75 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIRS6 View Post
Curious why the tiny resistors?

Jason
They are current limiting resistors for the LED fault indicators.
Old 12-29-2017, 02:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #76 (permalink)

Garage
LIRS6

ATO fuses with built in LED blown fuse indicators are available. CDD suggests using those type fuses in ReFuze if that function is desired.

CDD Autogear manufactures ReFuze ATO fuse panels to retrofit all 356, 912 and 911 Porsches up to and including 1989

Last edited by CDD Autogear; 01-03-2018 at 10:16 AM..
Old 01-02-2018, 04:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #77 (permalink)
Eng-o-neer

Ferrules vs Tinning

Something I just researched was mentioned in this thread (using ferrules vs tinning):

https://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/29861/tinning-wires-that-will-be-screwed-in-to-a-chocolate-block-terminal-strip

To my surprise, it seems like it's suboptimal to tin the tips of wires used in screw terminals due to the way solder behaves under pressure (vs just twisting the wire and stuffing it in). Does that mean it will wiggle out in six months or that it will only last 40 years instead of 60? I dunno.

This is distinct from the discussion of solder vs crimping in general (wires can be susceptible to fatigue from vibration where the solder begins, but this is mitigable through the use of heat shrink tubing for stress relief).

None of this will matter in your life, but for some reason it occupies my mind.
Old 04-05-2018, 11:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #78 (permalink)

I do this type of work for a living...

You shouldn’t tin wires that get crimped (same applies to screw terminals) because solder is very ductile and flows over time with vibration, wires moving, etc. the result of this is reduced clamping pressure which can lead to intermittent connection and possible other long term issues.

The problems can manifest themselves in a short period of time so just avoid this approach.

Last edited by SoCalSK8r; 04-05-2018 at 07:18 PM..
Old 04-05-2018, 12:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #79 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalSK8r View Post
I do this type of work for a living...

You shouldn’t tin wires that get crimped (same applies to screw terminals) because solder is very ductile and flows over time with vibration, wires moving, etc. the result of this is reduced clamping pressure which can lead to intermittent connection and possible other long term issues.

The problems can manifest themselves in a short period of time so just avoid this approach.

Thanks for your input on this point. It is good to know and I had no idea about the flow of solder. Guess I’ll be looking into the tool.......again

1978 911SC Targa
Old 04-06-2018, 12:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #80 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: