Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Location: Placerville, CA.... You know, the only place on Highway 50 between Sacramento and Lake Tahoe the you find signal lights. Above the fog most of the time and I can see the stars of the Milky Way 8 out of 10 nights. Kinda cool.....
Garage
My "ReFuze" panel upgrade adventure

Howdy All,

As my title suggests, I will be documenting my experiences and adventures in this post. It will be my intent to hopefully assist other members on this great forum who may be contemplating this type of upgrade. I will document my experiences as well as any mistakes I will make along the way. Essentially I am sure this will be a source of entertainment for the electrical masters that lurk on Pelican.

I consider myself technically gifted enough to be willing to give things a go as long as I feel they are within my scope. That said, I can muddle myself through electrical and always say I know enough to be "really" dangerous. Having had a 66 Dub and experiencing electrical gremlins surrounding the old torpedo German Fuses, I knew I would prefer to upgrade them to something more modern in the 78 SC.

When I decided to pull the proverbial trigger, there was one ATO fuse panel that kept popping up, the one being offered by CR out of the U.K. that is based on a Circut board with multiple soldered points for each fuse. Many fine Pelican's have used this upgrade and documented their experiences with this particular product without any discernible issues and have really liked the upgrade relating to reliability, safety and convenience. CR also offers many other high speed upgrades for our cars as well. In a conversation with our own "timmy2", another possible upgrade option was brought to my attention. An item he has had experience on customers cars. Those that know "timmy2" will probably agree that he knows his "stuff" when it comes to the electrical nuances of these great cars. This company he brought to my attention is based in CA and the panel is produced by CDD Autogear offering the "ReFuze" upgrade as well. The great thing is that our host offered both of these options and one can review both options and their prices are within a few dollars of each other, so my Q&A began with both companies via emails, online research and a phone call. It wasn't an easy decision to make what platform to try out.

Fast forward to a week later when I sent an email to the CDD Autogear Company, on a Friday late evening or early Saturday morning I don't exactly recall, with the expectation of hearing back from the following week during "normal" business hours and something I would expect to be totally normal. Needless to say I was pleasantly surprised when I received a quick reply and a personal phone call the next day from the owner, Alan. We had a very pleasant conversation about what I was looking for as well as his background and product information. Alan is a first rate Porsche Enthusiest who has enjoyed these cars for a long time. It was immediately evident that he is passionate and knows how things are suppose to be done and done correctly. During our conversation, I explained my interest in possibly adding an accessory or two at some future point and would like the idea of these items having a clean fused power source. After listening to Alan's suggestions, we agreed upon a viable solution for my particular needs. I also felt that the conversation was very educational and I benefitted greatly for the call. If also helped that Alan is a very nice guy who is easy to talk to.

After the call ended, I reviewed all of my compiled data and it was clear to me what the best choice for me, the ReFuze option by CCD. Included in his kit for our 78 911 SC, the three fuze engine bay block is included. This is an added bonus since I could not get it confirmed if this was included in the other manufactured item.

In addition to the ReFuze kit for our car, I added another three fuse block so I can run additional fused accessories in the future which adds an element o safety to our cars aging electrical systems. I placed the order Wednesday morning and it arrived the next afternoon. I cannot get a letter from Placerville to Sacramento that fast and I'm only 45 miles away. When I opened the package, it was immediately obvious that I made the right choice. Upon inspection, the quality is immediately evident. The blocks are well designed, rugged and will be able to stand up to the riggers of 911 driving. The fuse block have a solid rugged feel and the attention to detail is impressive without any sacrifice to appearance. It's hard to put into words, but if you ever get a chance to personally inspect his products, you will know what I am attempting to describe. The kit includes the necessary zip ties, mounting hardware and fuses.

I will post my progress as I go. Between work and family commitments including helping my aging parents, I'll update as much as I can over the next few weeks.

Thanks for checking in,
Cheers "Bugs"
Aka Trevor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1978 911SC Targa
Working Projects: 1968 912

Last edited by bugstrider; 10-21-2017 at 12:54 PM.. Reason: POS Tapatalk App mucking things up
Old 10-20-2017, 09:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Very interested in your install of this product. Saw their ad in earlyS mag. The 70 is being
re-restored after the elec fire and now is the time for changes. Your comments on quality
are very encouraging.
Old 10-21-2017, 03:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Location: Placerville, CA.... You know, the only place on Highway 50 between Sacramento and Lake Tahoe the you find signal lights. Above the fog most of the time and I can see the stars of the Milky Way 8 out of 10 nights. Kinda cool.....
Garage
Yeah, quality is obvious when you see this in person and hold it in your hands. It's hard to convey adequately with only pictures and my endless yammering, LOL.

1978 911SC Targa
Old 10-21-2017, 06:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I met Alan at the Pelican open day back in March, nice guy and nice product. We both have different approaches to the same problem. Either way you go, it will make your 911 more dependable.

p.s. Apologies if I didn't answer your mail Trevor. Dropped the ball on that one!
Old 10-21-2017, 08:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Bugs, I am very interested in following your progress. Thanks for taking the time to post your install.

How thorough are the instructions that come with the panels? Does it include a relay panel as well? I like you know just enough about electrics to be dangerous, but I do know my limitations.

Thanks again, DT
7's and 9's, Steve W chip
Kuehl AC and fresh top end
Old 10-21-2017, 08:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Functionista

Nice product to be sure.

Guys should be aware that using the correct fuses (type and rating) and limiting or at least using “best practices” regarding aftermarket electrical modifications will limit problems to almost zero. I’m shooting for another 45 years on factory wiring. I have the headlights on relays as the only change. I believe the AC systems also need some attention but I don’t have AC.
74 911, #3
I do not disbelieve in anything. I start from the premise that everything is true until proved false. Everything is possible.

Last edited by manbridge 74; 10-21-2017 at 09:36 AM..
Old 10-21-2017, 09:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny H View Post
I met Alan at the Pelican open day back in March, nice guy and nice product. We both have different approaches to the same problem. Either way you go, it will make your 911 more dependable.

p.s. Apologies if I didn't answer your mail Trevor. Dropped the ball on that one!

No worries,
My research proves exactly that. Two great approaches to fix the same issues. Everyone I've contacted is happy with your panel and it looks solid. I edited my OP, FYI.

I understand, everyone gets busy. I will admit though, your electric AC has my full and undivided attention. That my friend, looks totally legit and very bad a$$ system. Since the PO yanked the entire AC except hoses, it will be an investment and will run pretty much about the same cost replacing everything. I will be following that nugget with great interest. Just need to address an aging engine and trans first.

Cheers Trev

1978 911SC Targa

Last edited by bugstrider; 10-21-2017 at 11:27 AM..
Old 10-21-2017, 10:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by carreradpt View Post
Bugs, I am very interested in following your progress. Thanks for taking the time to post your install.

How thorough are the instructions that come with the panels? Does it include a relay panel as well? I like you know just enough about electrics to be dangerous, but I do know my limitations.

Thanks again, DT

My pleasure,

Just hope I don't make a total idiot of myself while doing this. I really haven't tucked into the instructions other than a quick glance, but unfortunately I cannot accurately answer that.............. Yet.

When I get home I can give them a full read.
Cheers

1978 911SC Targa

Last edited by bugstrider; 10-21-2017 at 12:09 PM..
Old 10-21-2017, 11:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
ROW '78 911 Targa

Garage
Alan is a great guy to talk to with a very nice product.
I have had both his and Jonny H's products in hand.
Both are easy to work with.
Either one does the job of upgrading to modern fuses well.
More info on Alan's product is here:
https://www.cddautogear.com/info/
Old 10-21-2017, 11:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Looks like a very nice product.
Dave
2001 996TT
Old 10-21-2017, 06:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

I went the ReFuze route with my '69. It has two, eight fuse blocks. Originally I tried ganging together sets of three fuse blocks but just didn't like it. So I decided to bite the bullet and order the two fuse blocks at $120 ea. I thought it was expensive but the '69 is a sort of one off as far as electrical is concerned. The ReFuze blocks were the only good quality, exact replacement for the stock ones for the car I found. I don't actually remember any instructions coming with them, but it's been a while since I did it, & I meticulously documented & tagged everything. The problem I ran into was the wires that attached to the old fuse blocks were really short and problematic when it came time to replacing them in the receptacles of the new fuse blocks, so I had to extend them - all of them if I remember right. I used one of the free locations on the top fuse block to install a Cyclops, RF relay for my fuel pump so that not only do I have the power going to the fuel pump relayed, but to get the fuel pump to operate you have to push an activation button on the fob that comes with the relay set up. Just an added layer of security.
Old 10-21-2017, 09:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
You think the 911 fuse panels are prone to problems how would you like to have to replace this mess. Not hijacking just poking fun! from a 1982 928

Old 10-22-2017, 05:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomezoneill View Post
You think the 911 fuse panels are prone to problems how would you like to have to replace this mess. Not hijacking just poking fun! from a 1982 928

Wholly German Torpedo Fuse Bat-Man! You aren't kidding.

1978 911SC Targa
Old 10-22-2017, 10:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
If you think that looks bad you ought to see the back of it.
Old 10-22-2017, 10:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by carreradpt View Post

Thanks again, DT

Hey DT,

Sorry for the delay in the "real" answer to your questions. In a nutshell, the included instructions are complete, thorough and well thought out. Very straight forward and easy to follow.

Hey, I just realized that I totally missed answering part of your question regarding the relay panel. No it does not. You utilize the factory chassis mounting bracket and relay panel.

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkb

1978 911SC Targa

Last edited by bugstrider; 10-25-2017 at 07:09 PM..
Old 10-24-2017, 07:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage

Well then,

I decided to jump in with both feet and a tweaked back from cutting wood all day yesterday. That drama I'll save for another day. Anyway, I dove into the included instruction, which were very straight forward and figured I could knock this out.

After it is all said and done, you could get this upgrade done in two-three hours taking your time and double checking your work. With that being said, more time could be spent depending on the condition of your OEM fuse bar, which was exactly my case. It was sort of a "worst case" scenario and since Murphy has a full on nelson head lock on me at all times, I took substantially more time than the average person doing this upgrade because of this. It seemed like every connector has corrosion and crud that I only felt should be addressed if I were to do the job right. I discovered bare wires missing the fitted connector ends, bad connections and even wires being held in place by a single or double strand.

In my initial posting, I failed to mention that the ReFuze kit really worked out for me since I had previously built a headlight relay kit supplied by another Pelican and upgraded the power supply lines to each bucket including upgraded bulb connectors.

I took multiple photos of my existing board with attached lines and fuses in place as recommended my the instructions. I would also recommend that when you do this photo shoot, be sure to get close-ups of the wire arrangements top and bottom. This really helps when you think all the wires are snugged up and you find a stray. Ask me how I know this little nugget.

Tops of the OEM block

Bottom shot of the OEM block.

As the instruction recommend, I started on the OEM 8 fuse block. This gets you into the proper fine tuned mindset before you hit the 13 fuse OEM block. It's all the same procedures you are doing, just that starting out small is always helpful and recommended before attempting the upgrade on the rats nest we call the 911 fuse block.

The next step is to bundle the groups of multiple wires that go into a particular connection. Even doing this, a single wire, usually one on the bottom may escape the zip tie.

Bundled groups of wires using the provided white zip ties.

Speaking of zip ties, there is a small tool that I recommend getting if you can. They are great for snipping off the extra leg from a tie to making a fine cut to wire. Due to the fine point and sharpness, they allow you to precisely cut zip ties reducing the chances of an accidental wire cut. I'll go as far as saying due to their sharpness, they work great for removing a splinter or a wire shard that get embedded into your finger. Once again, ask me why I know this. Here in Sacramento, we have a store called Blue Collar Supply, they have surplus metal, tools and miscellaneous stuff. This is the place I got those snips.

Because I am "me", in addition to using the wire bundle method to assist you in keeping the wire sequence in line, I did kinda go OCD. Last year I purchased a Brother P-Touch labeler and by gawd, I'm gonna use the dang thing..... so I went as far as making a series of numbers that I could cut and stick onto the wires to help "me" keep them straight. This step is totally above and beyond what needs to be done, it's something I did and yes, I lost a bit of time doing this.

Once I got the connectors disconnected, that's when I discovered a few disturbing factoids. First, there was a lot of corrosion, and second, I had several broken and frayed wires.

Example of some nasty corrosion I found.

I'll continue the write-up tomorrow.

Nite fellas.

Cheers

1978 911SC Targa

Last edited by bugstrider; 10-25-2017 at 10:28 AM..
Old 10-24-2017, 08:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Did most of your original fuse panel wires have some sort of crimped band on the ends to fit into the panels ends/slots?

1973 E Targa
Old 10-24-2017, 09:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by targa44 View Post
Did most of your original fuse panel wires have some sort of crimped band on the ends to fit into the panels ends/slots?

Yezzir, most of them did. The only time they did not was when they broke off or some goofy jumper type connection was made.

The closest thing to replacing those ends are by using these.

I've also been told that the quality tool used to crimp them on is rather costly.

Cheers

1978 911SC Targa

Last edited by bugstrider; 10-24-2017 at 09:28 PM..
Old 10-24-2017, 09:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage

To continue where I left off,

After disconnecting the top and bottom wires and numbering the power lines, I carefully removed the OEM 8 fuse block. Once removed, I compared them to assure proper alignment.

Once that was confirmed it was the same, I began addressing the wires I found where due to a variety of reasons, age and or corrosion or poor disconnecting on my part, they needed to be addressed. Since I didn't have the proper tool or ferrules, I improvised by cutting the wires back to find clean copper and then soldered the ends. It was my intent to make the ends a solid connection.

Once that was done, I then used a brass wire wheel and my Dremel tool on the lowest speed setting and went to work cleaning the connectors.

Cleaned connector on the right, old and crusty on the left.

Obvious signs of corrosion in the connector.

Here is my safety advisory: when I was using the brass wire wheel, I was holding the connector in my fingers. The low speed setting wasn't an issue and I could gauge the pressure being put on the connector and wires.

After things were cleaned up, I began reassembly of the block. For me, I found it easier to install the lower wires first, going in sequence to my numbering. It allowed me to make sure I got all of the correct wires in the proper fuse. After the lower wires were installed, I then began in the upper set. To make this process easier, I numbered and removed the five relays to allow for a little more wiggle room. Everything come together nice and easy in the 8 fuse block. When I finished this, I used the provided longer 4M x 20mm mounting screws. Initially due to the different OEM block and the new ReFuze block, alignment was a little off, which was to be expected. I elected to not mount the 8 fuse block until I was completed with the 13 fuse upgrade. This turned out to be a good idea since it allowed me to have a little extra room to manipulate wires if needed.

I then began to work on the longer 13 fuse lock using everything I learned with the smaller one.

I began bundling the multiple connections too and bottom, then took some additional pictures of both upper and lower wires showing the bundles just in case a stray wanders from the zip tie. I then began the careful disconnect sequence and removal of the OEM block then compared the new ReFuze it with the original two piece one, paying attention to the external jumpers. This is where the ReFuze block really shines. Alan, the designer, internally linked these particular fuses together, eliminating the need for external jumpers and potential short points or current loss due to poor connections.

In comparing the OEM with the new one, you can see that they mirror the connections.

The external jumpers that are now contained internally.

1978 911SC Targa

Last edited by bugstrider; 10-25-2017 at 10:46 AM..
Old 10-24-2017, 09:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
ROW '78 911 Targa

Garage
There are some less expensive crimp tools for ferrules.
Wire Ferrules Crimping Tool: Ratchet Compression Hydraulic Pneumatic Mechanisms 28AWG-500MCM at Ferrules Direct
Old 10-24-2017, 09:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: