Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Classic Retrofit Electrocooler installation report

My report of the installation to my car.

It is a Porsche 911S ’77, left hand drive car with a brake booster, originally a US delivered car which came to me with an original AC (probably dealer fitted as there was no front condenser but all parts used where factory) which I ripped out completely during the restauration as most of the parts (especially all the hoses) where shot.

Unlike most other left hand drive cars owner I did choose to route the hoses from and to the fan/compressor inside the luggage compartment instead of underneath the car because as mentioned above I had no front condenser and I didn’t want to drill holes in my bodywork. Also I didn’t feel comfortable having some hoses hanging under my car while my stone guard under the front axle has a lot of dents and marks in it.
All in all I did work on the car for around 35 hours which was much more than I thought I would need. One reason I was so slow was that I only had time for this during the week after work (typically from 6:30 pm – 10:00pm). I think if I would have worked on this project for two days in a row it would have been enough time to finish this project.

www.carmania.at
Old 10-25-2017, 11:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Parts arrived:

separately ordered hoses

parts overview:

www.carmania.at
Old 10-25-2017, 11:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

1. Condenser and fan assembly

The left hand head light has to come off to get access to the screw holding the top of the horse shoe bracket

Test fitting the fan assembly, it is tight!

This is the position I had to move the mounting screw

It is a very tight fit, red arrow points to edge of fan/bottom of front spoiler, green arrow points toward front of car.

red arrow point to bracket that holds the impact bumper damper, green arrow points toward front of car.

Everything lined up and connected

This is all you can see from the condenser on my car.

www.carmania.at
Old 10-25-2017, 11:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

2. Routing hoses

I did choose the existing holes from the wind screen washer bottle to pass the hoses from the condenser to the luggage compartment. I had to slightly enlarge the holes to get enough space for the rubber grommet.

This is how I modified a standard rubber grommet

This is the tool I used to crimp the hose connectors. It is usually used to connect steel for reinforced concrete by twisting around some thin wire.

www.carmania.at

Last edited by austria3; 10-25-2017 at 11:43 AM..
Old 10-25-2017, 11:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

3. Electric

Routing all the wires through existing holes in the bodywork took some time but adds to the smooth optic of the whole installation.

View inside the smuggler box. Red arrow points to the stud I used as ground point for the compressor unit. The blue arrows point to the exiting openings from the original AC which I closed.

Grey connector:
Blue/Red – wiper pin 53i (green wire)
Blue/white – switch for rear/front windshield heating - pin 3

Looking through the clock opening in the dashboard to the wiper motor. Red arrow indicates pin i53 (green wire) – wiper at full speed. To test if you have found the right pin/cable, just turn the wiper to full speed, if he doesn’t work, you disconnected the right one.

I used the original mounting bracket, which is still available from Porsche for around 10€, for the on/off push button. I had to enlarge the original hole slightly. I am not sure what to do with the second hole.

Fusebox:
Blue/yellow – top of fuse 6 (arrow ‘1’)
Black/yellow (switched live) – fuse 15 (arrow ‘2’)
Yellow (switched live) – fuse 15 (arrow ‘2’)
Red – fuse 18 (arrow ‘3’) (empty on my car), I also connected the red wire from the fan and the red wire of the on/off button to this fuse

www.carmania.at
Old 10-25-2017, 11:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

4. Ductwork

Almost done, only the T-pieces and the ductwork.
That’s was what I thought but it was really hard work especially at the left hand side of the car because of the almost non existing space for anything (duct, hand, srewdriver,…)

Done!

www.carmania.at
Old 10-25-2017, 11:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

5. Filling

Picture taken at the shop while filling. Notebook for system testing prior to filling

First attempt didn’t work because some of the fittings where not screwed together properly (I didn’t notice it during installation).

After tightening and replacing the seals the second attempt did work just find and after one month the system is still working properly.

www.carmania.at
Old 10-25-2017, 11:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

6. Further projects

- Smuggler box lid
To reinstall my smuggler box lid I have to make a cut out

- Steering tunnel cover
I also have make a new steering tunnel cover as mine did fell into pieces when I tried to make a cut out for the second (left hand side) drain hose.

- thermal insolation of hoses
I am thinking about adding some thermal insulation to the hoses running inside my luggage compartment so I can use my carpet again and do not have to worry about condensation. I learned that I have to use rubber insolation because of the vapour diffusion. These type of insolation is available in 2m pieces

- scuttle panel support
I still need to work out a solution for that. I don’t like the idea of adding a support bracket to the blower housing which itself is mounted to the scuttle panel.
I found a second, original support in my parts box so I might cut that up and play around.

www.carmania.at
Old 10-25-2017, 11:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Many thanks for the detailed installation pics and narrative! I suppose it's getting cooler in Austria, but do you have a view as to how well it cools?

Kenneth
Old 10-25-2017, 01:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Formerly known as Syzygy

Thanks for the write up. For the hole you don't know what to do about next to your power switch in the console, you could fill it with a USB accessory plug...

This one also has a voltage gauge.

1987 ROW coupe, Marine blue, with a couple extra goodies.

The cars we love the best are the ones with human traits, warts and all.

Last edited by Canada Kev; 10-25-2017 at 01:37 PM..
Old 10-25-2017, 01:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Registered

Nice write up!

I just want to clarify that you don't have to cut the smugglers box lid. In this case, the OP wanted to run the pipes in the frunk.

If the pipes are routed out the bottom of the smugglers box, then the lid will fit back no problem.
Old 10-25-2017, 02:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Unfortunately we have late autumn here in Austria which means fog, rain, and temperatures hardly above 10°celisus. Also I had some issues with the fuel pump which kept me from driving the car during the last weeks. But I would like to share my impressions of the system on two occasions

1. Right after filling the AC-system I took the car for a 50km spin. It was a sunny day, around 25°C. Before I left I did park the car in the sun with closed windows for a about 15minutes. Without the AC I would have rolled down both side windows and opened the sunroof when leaving. With the system installed I left all windows closed, pushed the button for the AC to turn it on and left. Within a few seconds I got cold air inside the cabin and after a couple of minutes the cabin temperatures was down to a very comfortable rate (the temperature is pre-set to 20°C but can be changed if desired). Even in the Friday Evening stop and go traffic the system worked faultless. You can’t hear the compressor and the blower is much quieter and moves more air than the original one.

2. Last Friday I went for a 250km long drive. Temperature 15-20°C. I was driving on streets partially surrounded by forests and open fields so the sun sometimes heated up the cabin and sometimes not. The system kept the cabin temperature very constant and worked faultless.

Note: I have not installed the foot well snorkel as today it had 10*C in the morning and I like some warm air on my feet. I need both systems heating and cooling in my car. I also have installed a heated windscreen to prevent the screens from fogging up under these conditions (Spring, Autumn, early morning, late evening, temperature hardly two figure, foggy, heating running). But I am thinking of enlarging the hole in the cover of the footwell heating opening to get more air in. Also some reshaping or redesign might help. Maybe I can get an old set somewhere for some testing.

www.carmania.at
Old 10-26-2017, 02:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada Kev View Post
For the hole you don't know what to do about next to your power switch in the console, you could fill it with a USB accessory plug...
that's a great idea

www.carmania.at
Old 10-26-2017, 02:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Driver, not Mechanic

Great post, with pics.

I know I can Google this but I am lazy this morning. What are the typical and max temp and humidity in the summer in Austria?
Old 10-26-2017, 05:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
great write up!

do you block the coller/fan in wheelwell with a stoneguard/locari to protect it?
similar to carrera oilcooler stoneguart on the right.
Old 10-26-2017, 05:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flojo View Post
great write up!

do you block the coller/fan in wheelwell with a stoneguard/locari to protect it?
similar to carrera oilcooler stoneguart on the right.
The fan is protected by its own guard and the condenser is fully protected by the fan shroud. The front of the condenser is open but does not face the wheel.
Old 10-26-2017, 10:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

according to Zamag.at this past summer was the third warmest summer since the beginning of the measurement in 1767. We had between 36 and 56 days over 30° celius and between 9 and 28 (Vienna!) nights over 20°C. The maximum day temperature was 38.2° C

www.carmania.at

Last edited by austria3; 10-26-2017 at 11:49 AM..
Old 10-26-2017, 11:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
ROW '78 911 Targa

Garage
Did you make any changes to your alternator size (output)?
Old 10-26-2017, 12:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmy2 View Post
Did you make any changes to your alternator size (output)?
Yes I had to upgrade the alternator - also available from Classic Retrofit.
You might take a look at Electrocooler Need to Know

And befor somebody asks: I had to delete the large water bottler under left front wing

www.carmania.at
Old 10-26-2017, 12:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Administrator

Excellent write up! We're always looking for new content for our members. If you have any other write ups, take a look at the link below. If we publish your article, we'll give you a credit and 10% off your next order. Please let us know if you have any questions!

Enthusiast Tech Article Submissions - Pelican Parts

Old 10-26-2017, 12:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: