Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
scumbag

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedsilva View Post
Has anyone assembled a stock 3.0 using itbs? Would love to see a fuel and ignition table to suit..
i have a stock ROW large port 3.0 in my 79SC. i have an X-faktory ITB kit with ms3x and a base map in my basement. once i get my car sealed, i'll be working on the EFI conversion. i'll try to get my maps up asap and then update as i tune it in...but it's going to be a while.
Old 06-13-2018, 11:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisbalich View Post
i have a stock ROW large port 3.0 in my 79SC. i have an X-faktory ITB kit with ms3x and a base map in my basement. once i get my car sealed, i'll be working on the EFI conversion. i'll try to get my maps up asap and then update as i tune it in...but it's going to be a while.
Sounds good.. my engine is a 3.0 carrera engine, which I believe would have the same ports as yours. However we are using different intake setups.. mine is from RHD here in Australia.... I copied Jaysons ignition and VE tables to my tune, and the car ran quite well.. however was still quite rich. I am slowly finding time to get my throttle linkage setup properly (wasnt seeing 100% throttle movement) and running logs and going through and changing.

Then car started to run on 5 cylinders when cold and as it got warm, ran fine; suspect fouled plugs.. need to pull them and inspect/clean before going further.

Rarely, I get a loud backfire through one of the intakes.. it is rare and difficult to emulate.. not sure what to do with that.
Also occasionally if I am travelling at speed, and shut the throttle, the car will emit a MASSIVE bang out the exhaust.. in my rearview mirror, I can see a large cloud of smoke!! I wonder how much longer my muffler will survive!
Old 06-13-2018, 12:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
scumbag

Garage
Mike, it sounds like most of your problems come back to being way too rich.
Do you have a wideband?
Also, if you’re dumping enough fuel to backfire out the muffler like that, the packing in the muffler won’t be long for this world.
Old 06-13-2018, 06:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
New-ish 911SC Targa Owner

Garage
Quote:
I am slowly finding time to get my throttle linkage setup properly (wasnt seeing 100% throttle movement) and running logs and going through and changing.
You need to get all 6 throttles synchronized dead on at idle with a carb sync tool. Start by getting all 1-3 sync'd and then 4-6 sync'd and then work on getting the two banks sync'd together. This took me hours to do and I still have 1 cyl that doesn't quite open with the others. But doing any light throttle (1-5%) tuning will be off until you get the throttles all sync'd up.

Quote:
Then car started to run on 5 cylinders when cold and as it got warm, ran fine; suspect fouled plugs.. need to pull them and inspect/clean before going further.
I wonder if cyl 5 is maybe not opening as much as the others so not enough air is getting to it for combustion?

Quote:
Rarely, I get a loud backfire through one of the intakes.. it is rare and difficult to emulate.. not sure what to do with that.
pops thru the intake are due to a lean condition. You VE map probably isn't lean, but your wall wetting or accel enrichment could be. If you are using Jayson's wall wetting on your ITB setup, don't expect it to work. He runs a common plenum manifold with a single throttle body. ITBs allow a whole lot more air in when you open them 2% than a single throttle plate feeding 6 cylinders will at 2%.
Here is my wall wetting table on my ITB setup. It revs up super quickly and cleanly on my car but might need some fine tuning for your setup:

Quote:
Also occasionally if I am travelling at speed, and shut the throttle, the car will emit a MASSIVE bang out the exhaust.
Do you have your decel fuel cut setup yet? That will make a huge difference in off throttle conditions and in MPG too.
Old 06-14-2018, 05:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: