Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Don't change the rear height until you add the rear bumper and decklid. The added weight will affect the rear ride height a bit. I agree with Tremelune that, to my eye, the front may be a bit low, and the rear a bit high (though a little rake is not bad). But install the rear bits first before you make a final determination.
Old 11-11-2017, 07:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks for the tip Lyle, but I am changing the stock bumpers and going with FG RSR bumpers as well as a glass ducktail. Those are very light parts and I doubt that they will affect the suspension. Either way I have been browsing through some stance threads and I am pretty sure I need to drop the back down a notch. BTW the rear sway bar is not installed yet. We're too anxious to see the car drive after all the work, but that should not effect the height.
Old 11-11-2017, 09:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Nice work!! - it looked like fun and turned out terrific. Can't wait to see the tail and bumper.

'87 Targa Carrera 3.2 - Fabspeed Cat Bypass, M&K Muffler, SW Chip
Venetian Blue
Old 11-11-2017, 03:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Garage
Hello, I have a 86 Carrara and am in the process of redoing the suspension. Did you change the torsion bars, and if so what sizes did you use?
Thanks
Old 11-11-2017, 06:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Garage
My car is an 87 with the G50 transmission. I believe your setup is different in the 86 car and 915 transmission, but to answer your question, I did not change anything I left the torsion and sway bars stock, but had the sway bar and spring plates and its parts powder coated. I also used the original style rubber bushings for the spring plate from Elephant Racing. For the sway bar I used original Porsche bushings and replaced all bolts and nuts with new ones.

BTW we also tried the URO rubber swaybar bushings but ended up buying the Porsche ones at the end. That's because although dimensionally the URO ones are identical, they use a harder rubber compound and we found they were just not pliable enough to work well.

I guess the only change from stock I made was I used Bilstein Sport shocks in the back vs the original Boge and while the control arm was out we replaced the rear control arm bushings and wheel bearings.

Speaking of torsion bars; we had to drill a hole on one of the caps to knock out the bar. Does anybody have a link for a rubber cap I can put on the end of the cap?

Last edited by 3Ddesigns911; 11-11-2017 at 07:18 PM..
Old 11-11-2017, 06:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
Kind of Blue

Garage
I consider myself someone who keeps his cars fastidiously clean but this project puts me to shame. Great work and a great read.
Old 11-12-2017, 04:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Garage
JB Weld is what many people use to fill in the hole, if they had to make one to get out the torsion bar.

1977 911S Targa Chocolate Brown
Old 11-12-2017, 05:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwest View Post
JB Weld is what many people use to fill in the hole, if they had to make one to get out the torsion bar.
Thanks. I didn't think of JB weld.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
Instagram#3DdesignsSD

Last edited by 3Ddesigns911; 11-12-2017 at 07:02 AM..
Old 11-12-2017, 06:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Inspiring to a fellow 87 Targa owner. Your car deserves Fuchs.
2016 BMW 328i
Old 11-12-2017, 11:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Garage
I am on the fence about the Fuchs. Originally I was leaning in that direction also, but I would prefer to have 17" wheels so that would make the Fuchs to be cast aftermarket wheels, and at that point I rather have the OEM Porsche turbo twist wheels.

I also find that these wheels really match the curves of the old 911... either way the jury is still out on this one, but they can be changed any time.

BTW I am also going to strip the targa bar and going for the brushed look and if I were to do the Fuchs I'd want those also polished. My theme is going to be all silver.
Old 11-12-2017, 12:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks for the thoughts about the torsion bars. Speaking of the Targa bar, I was also thinking of stripping mine. I understand it is stainless steal. I do not know what grade. To get the brushed look it has to be evenly brushed, a la Delorean, which was very comlicated to repair and get the same brush look. There were even special brushes issued. Anyway I was just thinking of highly polishing mine. Have any listers done this to the Targa bar?
Thanks
Old 11-12-2017, 05:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Garage
If you search the forum here you will find info about stripping and re-finishing the targa bar.

Here is a link with good info

Targa bar paint or strip for chrome look

This is what I am planning on doing also with brushed finish.
Old 11-13-2017, 06:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Garage
Ride Height Adjustment

Having the car down on all 4 I realized that the back was sitting way too high (measuring about 26.5" at the fender lip)

I did some research and learned about the 87-89 cars' torsion bars 47/46 tooth splines and how a 10 min angle change will result in a 1.4mm height adjustment at the wheel. Based on that I figured out the angle I need to increase my spring plate position.

After pulling the torsion bar and spring plate out, we noticed that the adjustable connection was already at the top setting (for the lowest ride) which I ignored when I had it apart before and powdercoated the 2 sections together hoping I don't need to change it. I realize now that was not the best idea, so we unbolted the adjustable sections and set it to the center so we have some fine tuning ability after the spring plate is installed at the new position. I added the extra angle that came from centering the bolt. (see picture below)

We pulled the other torsion bar and spring plate out next, unfortunately the eccentric height adjustment bolt was cross threaded when installed and it got stripped during unbolting which by the was was not easy to do.

Anyway, this is where it's at right now since I had to order the new eccentric bolt (from our host).

BTW, for those who wonder how much adjustability you can get from this link, I figure it's about 3/4" at the wheel.

On this picture you can see the marking where the spring plate is currently positioned, the line above is where I wanted to go and the extra wedge of tape indicates the adjustment for centering the spring plate eccentric bolt

Instagram#3DdesignsSD
Old 11-26-2017, 09:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)
That Guy

Garage
The powdercoat on the threads of the adjustment bolts may be whats causing some grief getting them loose.

Total ride height adjustment using the eccentric is about 3/4 inch as you said, but this is from highest to lowest setting. Depending where its set initially you will probably get less.
Jon - San Diego PCA #516
1988 Granite Green 911 3.4L
2005 Arctic Silver 996 GT3
Past worth mentioning - 1987 924S, 1987 944, 1988 944T with 5.7L LS1, 1997 E36 M3, 2003 E39 540i
Old 11-26-2017, 09:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

Garage
Let me add another shameless plug for my T-shirt design.

I will be printing a few of these and started a "Taking orders" thread in the 911 parts for sale section. If you're interested pls respond through this link:

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-used-parts-sale-wanted/978767-taking-orders-engine-graphic-t-shirts.html

Instagram#3DdesignsSD
Old 11-26-2017, 09:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

Garage
Yes the powder coating made it hard on the one side, but that was not the case on the other side. I seriously have no idea how they managed to crossthread that on, but they did. I am surprised the bolt did not brake as we were taking it off. Had to use a long breaker bar with a pipe on as an extension.

Yes I guess I wasn't clear enough with my note. The adjustment is about 3/4" top to bottom.
Instagram#3DdesignsSD
Old 11-26-2017, 09:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)

Garage
Stripping the targa bar

While waiting to get back to finishing to set up the ride height I thought I'd attack the targa bar. It had been painted glossy black, which is just wrong (IMO). I am not sure if I would have left it alone if it was the proper finish, but either way I want this car to be silver on silver on the outside, and since the targa bar is stainless to me that's a no brainer. I always thought it was a pain to clean that matte finish on my old targa anyway...

So here are a couple of progress shots.

These two show the bar in all of it's glory. Nice an shiny black.

Check out the beautifully painted targa badge. It appears this was done by trained monkeys.

After carefully peeling out the rubber seal from the channel, we removed the two nuts on either side in the fender well and unscrewed the top screws behind the rubber seal. You can see the screw holes on the front

Here is a shot showing the cover removed.

Started stripping the paint using this stuff.

I used aircraft paint stripper before, but it's not available at the hardware store now. Jasco paint stripper seems to work just as well. I also used a silicone spatula to scrape off the softened paint so I don't scratch up the metal, then washed it all off.

This is sort of where it's at right now. I got about half of the bar stripped, and did a bit of an experiment brushing it with a rough scotch pad. It seems to work pretty well. I'll update this when I get more done.
Instagram#3DdesignsSD
Old 11-28-2017, 05:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)

You may want to check other recent Targa bar thread. Trying to match the brushed stainless look.
Old 11-29-2017, 11:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

Garage
I did check it out, that's why it's not a trial and error. There are some good info here.

Here is a progress picture.

...and here it is showing the other side before. There is no contest IMO

Instagram#3DdesignsSD
Old 11-29-2017, 11:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)

Garage
Your thread, hard work, and devotion is inspiring.

Great job.
Old 11-29-2017, 12:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: