Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
You were able to get clearance to drop the engine just by raising the rear via rhino ramps?
I've seen photos here with the rear raised 5 feet off the ground.
Old 11-29-2017, 12:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)

Garage
Thank you,

BTW if you want to see the engine rebuild, I have that in the (where else) the engine rebuild section.
Instagram#3DdesignsSD
Old 11-29-2017, 12:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)

Garage
I can't actually remember when and if we raised it higher, but we also raised the front. It's actually easier to raise the sides of the car at the jacking points one at a time and just stick the jack stands under that way at the front and back, but it really doesn't need to go up 5'.
Instagram#3DdesignsSD
Old 11-29-2017, 01:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)

Garage
I have the targa bar almost finished.

Here are some pix. The weird thing is that the "targa" badge is aluminum, and now that it's clean it looks white against the stainless bar. I am going to polish it and see how it looks then.

Instagram#3DdesignsSD
Old 12-11-2017, 11:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)

That looks pretty AWESOME. What were your finishing steps 1., 2., 3.?
Old 12-11-2017, 11:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)

Garage
After the paint was stripped. I went over with a rough scotch pad making sure I am running in the direction of the bar.

I needed to use sand paper a few areas because grind marks were visible, but I made sure I kept the direction the same and after I went over those spots with the scotch pad again.

I need to decide what I am going to do to protect the finish though since every fingerprint shows on this. I don't really want to clear coat it though. Maybe just waxing will work?

Any BTDT?
Instagram#3DdesignsSD
Old 12-11-2017, 02:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Ddesigns911 View Post
After the paint was stripped. I went over with a rough scotch pad making sure I am running in the direction of the bar.

I needed to use sand paper a few areas because grind marks were visible, but I made sure I kept the direction the same and after I went over those spots with the scotch pad again.

I need to decide what I am going to do to protect the finish though since every fingerprint shows on this. I don't really want to clear coat it though. Maybe just waxing will work?

Any BTDT?
I use Collinite for my various metal restoration projects to protect against prints/oxidization.

Recent drill press chuck before and after with Collinite applied:

Old 12-11-2017, 03:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSt|G View Post
I use Collinite for my various metal restoration projects to protect against prints/oxidization.

Recent drill press chuck before and after with Collinite applied:

Awesome. I'll look into it.
Thank you.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
Instagram#3DdesignsSD
Old 12-11-2017, 03:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)

Garage
Turns out I did have Collinite at home and I gave it a shot. It seems to work quite well. The shine of the metal has not changed, it still has the brushed look to it, but fingerprints don't stay any more.

I also polished the aluminum "targa" badges.

On an interesting side note the two metals look totally different, but it's a nice contrast. On the one side I have some warm colors reflecting on the brushed stainless...

Instagram#3DdesignsSD
Old 12-22-2017, 06:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)

Garage
BTW, I ended up making 2 kind of shirts with my freehand sketches silk screened on.

I have them in the following sizes.
  1. Engine on the front with caption: HE6RT - L, XL, 2XL $35 shipped in CONUS
  2. Engine on the back, blank front (no caption) - L, XL (only one each) $37 shipped
  3. Car on the front, engine on the back (no caption) - L, XL, 2XL $37 shipped

Here is the link that has the pictures:
T shirts with sketch of 73 RSR
Instagram#3DdesignsSD
Old 12-27-2017, 02:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #50 (permalink)

Garage
Car is looking great. I'm doing similar work on my '75 Carrera Targa. If you decide to clear the targa bar SprayMax makes a really good 2K clear coat in a aerosol can. My buddy media blasted and clear coated his suspension with it and it looks amazing.
Old 12-27-2017, 03:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #51 (permalink)

Garage
Cool. Thanks for the tip, but the wax worked great. I'll leave it like this for now.

Instagram#3DdesignsSD
Old 12-27-2017, 03:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #52 (permalink)

Very nice work

Your attn to detail is really inspiring. That is one lucky car!
04 BMW R1150R
DanielJacobsLLC.com
Old 12-28-2017, 05:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #53 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Ddesigns911 View Post
Cool. Thanks for the tip, but the wax worked great. I'll leave it like this for now.

There are a number of Collinite wax products on their website. Which specific one did you use? Your Targa bar looks fantastic!
Old 12-28-2017, 05:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #54 (permalink)

Garage
If I remember correctly there are only that are for metal. One is a liquid and the other one is a paste wax. That second one is supposed to be their longest lasting wax, and that's the one I had at home. AFAIK these waxes are primarily developed for marine use, and if they are good on the ocean exposed to salt water, it's good enough for me. We'll see how it holds up....
Instagram#3DdesignsSD
Old 12-31-2017, 10:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #55 (permalink)

Cool! Thanks and Happy New Year!
Old 01-01-2018, 06:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #56 (permalink)

Garage
HAPPY NEW YEAR everybody!

Went for the first longer ride after my rebuilt engine and drivetrain. We drove about 12 miles...

This was after that we finally managed to get my ride height set. We put the center of the torsion bar about 1.5" below the center of the wheel, which should be a good height according the Bruce Anderson. This will still probably change a bit when I get the corners balanced and wheel alignment done, but I am happy with the way the car sits right now.

We also replaced the OEM style drop links with adjustable ones from Tarett Engineering. it actually made the connection of the sway bars way easier than the OEM ones. To be honest, I think this is the only way to go especially if you want to get your corners balanced. The stock ones leave you no way to allow for any discrepancy between the left and right sides and will put more tension on the one side than the other.

After monkeying around with the ride height. We had a bit of an issue because the left side rear wheel did not fit under the fender. After almost buying a set of new wheels and tires, the emergency was averted when we clued in that the rear wheel alignment was out. I did not realize it makes that big of a difference, but with the fat 255" rear tires, there isn't a lot of extra wiggle room.

Instagram#3DdesignsSD
Old 01-01-2018, 11:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #57 (permalink)

Garage
Muffler with Carbon Fiber Exhaust Tip

I haven't done an update for a while, but there's been some progress.

We changed the stock muffler and fitted a FG bumper on. The tailpipe now comes through the bumper and has a carbon fiber tip on it. The inside of the bumper behind the muffler is getting a heat shield as well. The reflector will get replaced with an aluminum piece.

The bumper is not yet painted and still missing the license plate, but the plate will be attached with the factory bracket and the license plate lights are going to be integrated into the bolts that hold the plate.

Instagram#3DdesignsSD

Last edited by 3Ddesigns911; 02-10-2018 at 03:01 PM..
Old 02-10-2018, 01:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #58 (permalink)

Garage
I thought the new muffler setup might get the fiberglass bumper too hot and installed a heat shield on it. We also have the wiring for the license plate running behind the heat shield.

Instagram#3DdesignsSD
Old 02-17-2018, 08:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #59 (permalink)

Garage
Repairing targa latch and handle

Changing subject for a bit.

One of my targa latches had a broken part and since I couldn't find any parts to repair it, I decided to 3D print my broken part.

This is a photo of the broken part I used to make a 3D model

This is a screenshot of the 3D model

After printing the ring it's installed into the latch. The one on the left contains the 3D printed part.

I also made a 3D printed handle for my new latch. I actually like this better than the original one and will make another for the other side.
Instagram#3DdesignsSD
Old 02-17-2018, 08:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #60 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: