Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

1987 911 Carrera Rebuilding Engine Suspension Brakes and more to come

I wanted to share with you guys my 87 Carrera project. It's still work in progress, but the mechanical work is almost finished now and I thought I'd post what we've done so far. Here is the Cliffs Notes version....

The car is a targa with approximately 125k miles on it.

Unfortunately it had some issues, including a suspicious leak

As it turned out the leak was caused by a couple of broken head studs. You can sort of see the leak right between the cylinders and the casing on this picture (sorry about the blurry image)

I had no choice but pull the engine

It was really filthy and the tin was completely rusted out at some places.

Separated the transmission and removed the clutch release fork, which was also a suspect since it was very hard to operate (for a hydraulic clutch). It was still the original with the needle bearings that was dirty and pretty much seized up.

We took apart the engine and found the broken studs. I circled them on this picture. They luckily came out fairly easily.

Here is a closeup of the broken studs.

Old 10-28-2017, 12:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

The clutch was also nearly at the end of its life.

I took the towers to the machine shop where the cleaned them, rebuilt the heads and honed the cylinders. They ended up having to replace a couple of the valves as well, and replaced the valve guides. I asked them to clean and pressure test the engine mounted oil cooler tool. My cylinders are Nikasil and I did research their honing beforehand. Since the shop had the proper diamond honing gear I felt comfortable having them do it.

The parts came out looking great.

While the engine was taken apart. I had the fan, the valve covers and all the tin powder coated. I replaced the tin pieces that were rusted out and got new screws for re-installing it. Since the car is silver with a red interior, I wanted to keep the theme going, and to be honest I always wanted a red fan, since it's such a focal point of your engine when you open the lid.

Assembly in progresss

We replaced a lot of parts during the assembly. This included sensors, oil and vacuum lines, all new seals, and gaskets, I upgraded to the cam oil line restrictors etc. I ended up buying extra OEM gaskets and seals as well since I was paranoid with some of the after market parts and did not want the engine to leak.

Here are some of the parts.

The new clutch kit

Old 10-28-2017, 01:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I opted to install the bushing style clutch release fork insert instead of the needle bearing style. IMO this is a better option than going with the 964 route which would require drilling out the housing.

Speaking of clutch, the machine shop also cleaned and resurfaced the flywheel.

While the engine was taken apart, there was quite a bit of cleaning needed. I don't have pictures of the individual parts, but check out this heat exchanger. it cleaned up pretty good.

Here is the end result of the engine after it's assembled. Since I did a separate thread on the engine build I am not going to add more pictures about that here.

Old 10-28-2017, 01:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

While the engine was out, I power washed the engine bay and wheel wells which of course houses the oil tank, thermostat and connecting oil lines, and discovered that they were not only dirty but also rusty.

Above (I also cleaned up the glue residue under the insulation, which is going to get replaced)

... and below (it appears yellowish, but that's only the lighting under the car). The shocks yet to come out (they will get replaced too.

This lead to removing the tank and the oil lines

I had the machine shop "hot tank" the oil tank and refinished it with high temp paint. I also bought new oil lines.

Here is the tank and the new oil lines installed. I also put a coat of undercoating in the fender wells.

I refinished the hard oil lines that go to the front (fender mounted) oil cooler, and we also fabricated new aluminum brackets for these lines.

In the spirit of cleaning things up I decided to get rid of the air conditioning so we removed all of its components.

Old 10-28-2017, 02:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Nice project! I have an 87 Targa as well. Will follow your progress!
2017 BMW 328i
Old 10-28-2017, 09:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

After everything was properly cleaned I saw that the spring plates were rusty under all that dirt, so we took everything out, spring plates, brakes, control arms, shocks.

On the front we removed the struts and control arms.

All the pieces I was keeping were cleaned, powder coated but all wear and tear parts were to be replaced with new bushings, bearings, rotors, the calipers rebuilt by PMB performance.

Here are some of the new and original parts after cleaning and powder coating.

Front calipers before

...and after I got them back from Eric

These will go nicely with the new Zimmermann rotors.

Here are the front control arms with the sway bar powder coated and new bushings installed.

The refinished front struts and new Bilstein shocks.

New bushings and bearings in the rear control arms.

Old 10-28-2017, 09:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

After the front end went back in the car, we replaced the struts with the new shocks, but first the fenderwell was also cleaned and undercoating applied.

These two pictures show different sides, but you get the idea.

Old 10-28-2017, 09:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Looks Fabulous -- only negative comment here is that red-painted fans were a trademark of the former, much dreaded, motormeister shop.

Were you ever to consider selling this beauty, be sure to stress that your Carrera was never molested by motormeister
Old 10-28-2017, 10:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

At this point were about to attach the transmission to the engine, but I did not realize that I also had to replace the guide tube on the transmission side, since the original one was slightly larger diameter and did not fit into the new clutch.

This picture shows the new clutch with new bolts holding it in place.

The engine and transmission attached are ready to go in

It went in with drama free. We used new engine mounts and all new bolts.

Here it is installed and everything hooked up.

...and one from below. I am still missing a muffler strap and the stainless shield from the cat is not installed.

Old 10-28-2017, 10:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

After the engine was installed and ran for its initial 20 minutes with break in oil we still had to attach the rest of the rear suspension components.

The refinished spring plates and control arms were installed, the brake shows the the hand brake went on,

This is sort of where we're at right now. Still need to install the rear sway bar and finish bleeding the brakes... more to come as we'll progress. I'll be doing work on the roof, need to sort out some electrical issues, want to do some work on the interior, clean up the trunk and do some exterior modifications. I will probably also swap out the OEM muffler with something with a bit more character.
Old 10-28-2017, 10:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

RE: Red fans and Motormeister, I hear what you're saying, but I really don't think that should be a reason not to do a red fan. It's a color. It's not trademarked to Motormeister and I am sure there are lots of others who also used and still use a red fan. In my case it's the color scheme of the car (red seats) and I personally happen to like and always wanted a red fan since it's such a feature of our engines.

As a personal preference, I am more against painted red calipers because IMO they are over done. Just because the original "big red" calipers are red, if you paint yours will people think they are the real deal? I wanted to keep my calipers yellow zinc finish as opposed to red (which by the way they were before having them rebuilt).
Old 10-28-2017, 11:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Eng-o-neer

This is extraordinarily satisfying to watch.
Old 10-28-2017, 11:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Ddesigns911 View Post
RE: Red fans and Motormeister, I hear what you're saying, but I really don't think that should be a reason not to do a red fan. It's a color. It's not trademarked to Motormeister and I am sure there are lots of others who also used and still use a red fan. In my case it's the color scheme of the car (red seats) and I personally happen to like and always wanted a red fan since it's such a feature of our engines.

As a personal preference, I am more against painted red calipers because IMO they are over done. Just because the original "big red" calipers are red, if you paint yours will people think they are the real deal? I wanted to keep my calipers yellow zinc finish as opposed to red (which by the way they were before having them rebuilt).
completely agree on both the fan and calipers -- unfortunately, given the prevalence of motermeiser-molested "red fan" engines, I (almost) automatically tie the two together when I see one in this forum, especially when a newbie come around asking opinion on a new car or for advice on a new car's issues . . . no reason not to do it, and it looks great! Also, since you're clearly building this out as your pride and joy (and clearly know what you're doing) this shouldn't be something to disclose as a "non-problem" for quite some time and reference to this thread should help show this as another exercise of good tase and NOT mistaken trust
Old 10-28-2017, 11:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Great thread, thank you. I have just purchased a much unloved 84 Carrera Targa that has to have much done to it to become a car again and I am a complete Porsche newbie (Two Morgans under my belt to date)
May I ask how long it has taken you to get this far and what your experience level is?

Peter
Old 10-28-2017, 03:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

It's been a year, but hasn't been full time. The engine was actually done pretty quickly but the rest has been dragging out. A lot of times you don't know what you're missing until you are actually doing it, then you realize you can't just get it locally and you have to hunt down parts or wait for delivery etc... Unfortunately you can't even go to the dealer to pick something up because they don't stock these old parts.

In terms of experience, I am an industrial designer not a mechanic, but I have had help from some very experienced friends.

I had an 84 targa also. It was a prussian blue metallic ROW car.

Pelican is a good source of info. You also want to get Wayne's books as well as the Bentley.
Old 10-28-2017, 04:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

New clutch master and slave

We had all the brakes done and connected. Got some ATE DOT 4 and we're going to bleed the system, but no luck. We tracked it down to a broken clutch master which was stuck in. I got a new one, and while I was at it, removed the pedal cluster and cleaned it up.

We gave it another try, but still no luck. This time it was the clutch slave. I think they both must have been in pretty bad shape although could not tell from the outside, but having the car sitting for a log time with no fluid in the system could have caused the seals dry out.

The new slave cylinder is coming tomorrow and we'll give it another try but need another can of brake fluid.

Hopefully three times the charm.

Old 11-09-2017, 08:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
That Guy

Garage
With slave and master cylinder, usually its worth changing both at the same time as they both get identical usage. Also replace the hydraulic line that goes from the tunnel to the slave cylinder. The rubber hose does two things, either it swells overtime reducing the inner diameter or it develops a bulge which causes a strange pedal feel.

I did a lot of the same work on my car over the years! New brake and clutch hydraulics, suspension, oil lines, oil tank..etc. Even a rebuilt engine got thrown in the mix... .

Also i noticed your g50 is missing the rubber inspection cover...

Jon - San Diego PCA #516
1988 Granite Green 911 3.4L
2017 Reflex Silver Mk7 GTI
Past worth mentioning - 1987 924S, 1987 944, 1988 944T with 5.7L LS1, 1997 E36 M3, 2003 E39 540i

Last edited by Techno Duck; 11-10-2017 at 08:21 AM..
Old 11-10-2017, 08:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Thanks for the tips. The inspection cover was missing but I had replaced it before the engine went in. Hopefully This is going to be the last thing for the hydraulic system. The only thing that has not been replaced is the brake master cylinder.
Old 11-10-2017, 08:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Ride height?

Got the new clutch slave cylinder in and bled the clutch. Got some ATE DOT4 to do the job.

Then we put the wheels back on and lowered the car. We jacked up one side at a time removing the jack stands. Fired it up and drove around the block a couple of times. There is still no engine lid or rear bumper, but it's been a long time waiting and we wanted to see how it drives.

The brakes felt like they were dragging, but maybe it's just in my head or due that it's all new including rotors, calipers, pads, and even the wheel bearings, but other than that it felt good. The clutch was fine, the steering centered, just no drama and I didn't even do a wheel alignment yet.

The only thing I am wondering is if the car is sitting too high. Take a look at the picture. I measured the wheel arches and at the center of the rear wheel to be 26.5" and to me it looks too high. What do you guys think? I need to get the ride height dialed in before the wheel alignment.

Old 11-10-2017, 09:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Eng-o-neer

Measure from the wheel center to the torsion bar center:

1987 carrera pros & cons of lowering to European Height from stock?

My eyeball says it would be slightly higher in front and slightly lower in the rear.
Old 11-11-2017, 08:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: