Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Early 911 steel wheel, restore or keep original?

I no longer have my early Porsche due to theft (car is now in Australia), but have some of the original parts and the keys (it was locked), etc. I see that people are rechroming their early 911 wheels and would like advice if I should do the same for this remaining mounted spare. The original wheels seem to have been fully chromed (KPZ) and then the backs painted gray over the chrome. This is apparent from the mounting area on the back showing chrome through at the point of contact with the hub. The mounted tire is an original French Michelin XZX. It was my spare and I thought it might be of use to the next owner as-is, but with the rising value of these cars and parts, is full restoration the only route? I like originals, but early (1967) 911s seem to have gone to museum status.
Old 11-07-2017, 01:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Keep it original their is where the value is.

Joe
Old 11-09-2017, 11:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

If your car was stolen, and you know it is in Australia, why can't you get it back?
Old 11-10-2017, 10:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
I do not really understand the question?
but, I will give it a try. recrhoming will most definitely lower the value to a collector.
To properly rechrome a Porsche wheel has to be cut apart and rewelded. The welds never looks as good as the original and I question how true it is after that procedure?
If you ever watched 'Antiques Road show' you will here them again and again tell people how much that chair, table, etc. is worth and how much more it would have been worth if they had not refinished it. Porsche, guns, paintings, antiques of any sort are worth the most in a original state.
Collectors like original.
Old 11-10-2017, 11:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: