Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory M View Post
On lowered track cars it's normal practice to trim the bump stops.
Yes......and when you do, it's possible for the top of the seal holder to bottom on the dust shield - which is why several vendors sell shortened dust seal holders, and why I'd like to confirm that KW didn't copy the dimensions of the bilstein strut body, but add a bump rubber on top of that. If they did, they would be severely limited in bump travel.

Of course, one could assume KW knows what they are doing.......
Old 04-06-2018, 05:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Garage
This picture doesn't lead me to believe there's much travel in the front?

And what on earth is the collar wrench for?

Old 04-06-2018, 06:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny042 View Post
Ah. I was searching for KW 35271064, which is the exact same kit except with the spindles raised 19mm. Pelican should have it listed alongside the other kit but they don't.

Unless you are running 14" wheels or plan to in the future, you might consider going with the raised spindles.
oh boy good thing i didnt order them.

so who has the right kit?
Old 04-06-2018, 06:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Quote:
This picture doesn't lead me to believe there's much travel in the front?

And what on earth is the collar wrench for?

they are complete units with coils, not sure why the photo does not show that.
Old 04-06-2018, 06:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

according to KW's site, they are to be used with the OE torsion bars. i have seen and read elsewhere that the torsion bars are to be removed?

911 (G body) incl. spindles; for use with OE torsion bars...

this guy took the bars out
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiczO43ZSS8
Old 04-06-2018, 06:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Garage
These replace the original shocks. The torsion bars stay.

There seems to be an awful lot of confusion regarding these and whether or not they require or allow the torsion bars to be removed. Perhaps at the root of the confusion is the picture on the Pelican Parts website for them?: WRONG!!!!!!

They don't come with springs!!! Converting to coilover springs involves welding in chassis reinforcement, front and rear.

I'd have to say Pelican has dropped the ball on these, Given that there is little or no info provided, both applicable kits aren't listed, the picture is wrong, etc.

Not surprising to note that the "Pelican Sales Rank" is blank. Guessing they haven't been big sellers

Last edited by Jonny042; 04-06-2018 at 07:10 AM..
Old 04-06-2018, 07:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrolleyes View Post
they are complete units with coils, not sure why the photo does not show that.
Absolutely incorrect.

http://www.kwsuspensions.com/classicporsche911

Notice they are V3 shock absorbers, not V3 coilovers.
Old 04-06-2018, 07:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

google image seems to be closer for the PN

https://www.google.com/search?q=35271064&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiflY-B6qXaAhVSx1kKHUdbDwkQ_AUIDCgD&biw=2239&bih=1195

if you google gbody coil overs you get it right
https://www.google.com/search?q=kw+porsche+coils+g+body&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=DucNKdR1BV3T5M%253A%252Cdhur7zMCNXXagM%252C_&usg=__kZ4j1qRO2pGKI3gtF7pjV628wCw%3D&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiAzLGd6qXaAhVIjlkKHYduAuEQ9QEITDAG#imgr c=DucNKdR1BV3T5M:

but the guy on youtube showed a full setup...

i have been speaking with a local P guy who is very well regarded on this site about "reinforcing"
and this was his quote...

"Real 2,8 RSRs did not use those silly reinforcements but I'm happy to do it.
I'm working on a real 73 with race history."

obviously more is better but until you get there someone thinks its ok.
Old 04-06-2018, 07:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

even the photo doesnt make sense there are no coils..

https://www.google.com/search?q=kw+porsche+coils+g+body&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=DucNKdR1BV3T5M%253A%252Cdhur7zMCNXXagM%252C_&usg=__kZ4j1qRO2pGKI3gtF7pjV628wCw%3D&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiAzLGd6qXaAhVIjlkKHYduAuEQ9QEITDAG#imgr c=2jPs-P1RewuxkM:

Last edited by mrrolleyes; 04-06-2018 at 07:18 AM..
Old 04-06-2018, 07:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

ok looks like the full set is 5k OUCH
Old 04-06-2018, 07:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:

but the guy on youtube showed a full setup...

i have been speaking with a local P guy who is very well regarded on this site about "reinforcing"
and this was his quote...

obviously more is better but until you get there someone thinks its ok.
I'd get a second opinion. Real 2.8 RSR's used torsion bars AND springs.
Old 04-06-2018, 07:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Quote:
I'd get a second opinion. Real 2.8 RSR's used torsion bars AND springs.
at 5k i will not be going with kw's

time to re evaluate my suspension. i just wanted something easy to adjust to get it to sit to just right.
Old 04-06-2018, 08:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Quote:
at 5k i will not be going with kw's

time to re evaluate my suspension. i just wanted something easy to adjust to get it to sit to just right.
If you're on a budget just get Bilstein HD, Sport, or a combo of the two depending on your bar sizes. That's the $600 easy button and works fine for the vast majority our street cars. If you drive that for a while and are dissatisfied have them revalved.
Old 04-06-2018, 09:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory M View Post
If you're on a budget just get Bilstein HD, Sport, or a combo of the two depending on your bar sizes. That's the $600 easy button and works fine for the vast majority our street cars. If you drive that for a while and are dissatisfied have them revalved.
my car has bilsteins on it now. i wanted to go coils for adjustability to get it to sit right as i start on my wheel and tire journey.
Old 04-06-2018, 09:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

Garage
The kw set for g-body cars is dampers-only, not coils, and keeps the torsion bars. The full description is here... http://www.kwsuspensions.com/classicporsche911

They might also make a coilover conversion but I've not looked into that.

I have a set of kw v1 coilovers on my 964. Occasionally I wish I'd purchased the v3s, for the adjustability, but the v1s have been a great improvement over the original Boge.

No affiliation with kw
Old 04-06-2018, 09:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
my car has bilsteins on it now. i wanted to go coils for adjustability to get it to sit right as i start on my wheel and tire journey.
Your stock suspension is completely adjustable for hieght.
Old 04-06-2018, 04:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)
Eng-o-neer

Quote:
Your stock suspension is completely adjustable for hieght.
Well. With four hours of futzing in the rear.
Old 04-06-2018, 05:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tremelune View Post
Well. With four hours of futzing in the rear.
Exactly...
Old 04-06-2018, 06:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

I raised my car a half inch today in under an hour. It's easy as long as you don't have to re index.
Old 04-06-2018, 07:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)

Quote:

I'm sure you might find a specimen without the reinforcements but all pictures I've seen of 2,8L RSR have them.

911E Coupe -70

Carrera 3,2 -84 Sold
Old 04-06-2018, 08:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: