Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered Minimalist

Garage
Everybody's doing it...

It'll make ya feel good

feel good

feel good

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/878569-born-75-me-my-new-911s.html
Old 04-06-2018, 08:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)
Schleprock

Send a message via Yahoo to KTL
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrolleyes View Post

i have been speaking with a local P guy who is very well regarded on this site about "reinforcing"
and this was his quote...

"Real 2,8 RSRs did not use those silly reinforcements but I'm happy to do it.
I'm working on a real 73 with race history."

obviously more is better but until you get there someone thinks its ok.
I would be sure to reinforce the tops of the shock towers and also beef up the joint where the tower meets the unibody rails. That is, if the torsion bars are going to be removed and the coilover springs are going to carry the entire load.

Several people have posted on this forum about cracking in the rear shock crossmember due to coilovers. That member was not designed to carry the loading that the springs place on it. Below is a link to one example I recall. Do a search and you can find more.

Rear crossmember, tower damage pics (from coliovers)
Old 04-09-2018, 10:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)

Anyone installed these? Real world review?
04 BMW R1150R
DanielJacobsLLC.com
Old 11-06-2018, 05:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan J View Post
Anyone installed these? Real world review?
There's a bit more info in this thread:

1987 3.2 Carrera To Do list

They look great! And by all accounts work as well as they look. Still a limited sampling of users but seems like the feedback is all good.
Old 11-06-2018, 05:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)

A buddy just put these on his k24t 911. Itís a sema so no feedback yet. But heís got the full setup.

Iím sure more will be coming from him

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-06-2018, 05:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)
Runnin on empty

Garage
Iím installing these now.

Old 11-06-2018, 06:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)

They look good!
Old 11-06-2018, 07:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)

I'm installing them in my project car right now. Hopefully it will be running be Christmas
Old 11-06-2018, 08:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)

Garage
Great shocks, quality construction, over 2" more travel, digressive valves, +19mm raised front spindles option, combined with the new Eibach 3 way adjustable sway bars makes a substantial performance setup that also rides smoother and more comfortable than stock.

We dyno tested the rear shock to get an idea of the range of adjustment they are capable of. If the fronts are similar to the rears, there should be plenty of adjustment for a wide range of torsion bars and chassis weights:

In comparison to Bilstein HD and Sport rears:

With the latest version of the Eibach three way adjustable sway bars:

And a close up of the high quality Aurora rod end links they come with. They allowed for dialing out of preload when corner balancing:

The rest of the suspension is turbo tie rods, bump steered, Dunlop Direzza ZII Star Specs 225/255 on 7/9" Euromeister 17s, Raybestos ST47 brake pads with Endless RF650 brake fluid, 993 brake deflectors, brake splash shields deleted, stainless brake lines, stock 86 torsion bars.

Drove it to Rennsport and tested the whole setup at Buttonwillow last month. Smooth ride and excellent control, neutral handling. Zero brake fade and even temps across the tires.

Last edited by Steve W; 11-06-2018 at 07:30 PM..
Old 11-06-2018, 11:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)
Runnin on empty

Garage
^^^^^^^
Steve was instrumental in my decision to go with KW. I had reached out to him via email with some questions. Does anyone know if the Eibach 3 way adjustable sway bars will fit a '74? There fitment guide starts at '78. But, from what I see on Steve's setup is it looks exactly like my '74.

Hopefully I will be finishing up the install this week and will post after some road time. At the same time I have upgraded my front brakes to '84 Carrera's and also will be adding air deflectors.. After some investigation I found out the the KW's are set up for 3.5 caliper spacing. I have the stock spindle height as I am running 15's.

Thx

A Werk in Progress

Last edited by acme911; 11-06-2018 at 12:42 PM..
Old 11-06-2018, 12:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #50 (permalink)

They certainly look the business

https://www.kwsuspensions.com/products/kw-suspensions-kw-clubsport-2-way-coilover-kit-porsche-911-g-body-clubsport-coilover-system-35271864.html
Old 11-06-2018, 12:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #51 (permalink)
Runnin on empty

Garage
Those are the coil overs. Not the TB version.
Old 11-06-2018, 12:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #52 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by acme911 View Post
^^^^^^^
Steve was instrumental in my decision to go with KW. I had reached out to him via email with some questions. Does anyone know if the Eibach 3 way adjustable sway bars will fit a '74? There fitment guide starts at '78. But, from what I see on Steve's setup is it looks exactly like my '74.

Hopefully I will be finishing up the install this week and will post after some road time. At the same time I have upgraded my front brakes to '84 Carrera's and also will be adding air deflectors.. After some investigation I found out the the KW's are set up for 3.5 caliper spacing. I have the stock spindle height as I am running 15's.

Thx

A Werk in Progress
Pretty sure they (the sway bars) will fit without issue. I have a set on my 85, they are a great addition to a hot rod like yours.

As long as your 74 has sway bar mounts on the chassis you should be in business.
Old 11-07-2018, 05:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #53 (permalink)
Runnin on empty

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny042 View Post
Pretty sure they (the sway bars) will fit without issue. I have a set on my 85, they are a great addition to a hot rod like yours.

As long as your 74 has sway bar mounts on the chassis you should be in business.
Thanks Jonny,
Iíll look into ordering a set. I have adjustable Tarret drop links in the back. Adding this to the front will definitely aid in tuning.

When Iím done with this itís on to the paint finish and using your great guide on restoring!

Andy
Old 11-07-2018, 08:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #54 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Thanks Jonny,
I’ll look into ordering a set. I have adjustable Tarret drop links in the back. Adding this to the front will definitely aid in tuning.

When I’m done with this it’s on to the paint finish and using your great guide on restoring!

Andy
If your bank account is still reeling from the shock of buying the KW setup, a good intermediate step might be to upgrade to later bars from an SC or Carrera.

The sizes have escaped me at the moment but I could measure them later today. I've been meaning to do that anyway and write a more thorough review of the Sway Bars.
Old 11-08-2018, 06:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #55 (permalink)
Runnin on empty

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny042 View Post
If your bank account is still reeling from the shock of buying the KW setup, a good intermediate step might be to upgrade to later bars from an SC or Carrera.

The sizes have escaped me at the moment but I could measure them later today. I've been meaning to do that anyway and write a more thorough review of the Sway Bars.
Hey Jonny, Sounds good. But, after following your build thread don't you have your hands full? lol
And yes, my project credit card has reached melt down for this year. But, I still keep buying tools.(hobbies and trade) It's a sickness when you like to work on stuff. I know you and others will understand!

Andy

A Werk in Progress
Old 11-08-2018, 10:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #56 (permalink)

Quote:
Hey Jonny, Sounds good. But, after following your build thread don't you have your hands full? lol
And yes, my project credit card has reached melt down for this year. But, I still keep buying tools.(hobbies and trade) It's a sickness when you like to work on stuff. I know you and others will understand!

Andy

A Werk in Progress
hey I'm in that club too!
Old 11-08-2018, 10:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #57 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan H View Post
hey I'm in that club too!
I can't imagine why!!!! LOL.

I'm sure you're glad to be catching up on sleep now that the car made its SEMA appearance!
Old 11-09-2018, 05:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #58 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:

Andy

A Werk in Progress
FYI - the stock bars from my 85 were front 20mm, rear 18mm. The Eibach front is 24mm (solid) and rear 25mm (hollow). They are indeed a significant upgrade to the stock ones, not only due to the increased size of the bars themselves, but also the quality of the mounting/connection hardware - having nearly solid bushings at the bar pivots combined with the rod-ends for the end links mean the bars will start to act much sooner for a given cornering force. Also there should be a lot less friction/stiction, particularly in the front.

I've been meaning to post a review of the bars (A++!!), Ryan was very helpful with these and I really appreciate he's bringing this stuff to market for our old cars!

The stock front bar vs. the new Eibach bar. They are significantly different.

Old 11-09-2018, 05:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #59 (permalink)
Schleprock

Send a message via Yahoo to KTL
An additional benefit with that Eibach front bar is the link connection to the A-arm. One of my biggest aggravations is trying to reinstall the belly pan because the sway bar mounting points are constantly fighting me. Having the ends of the bar free, thanks to the adjustable links, is a huge win.
Old 11-09-2018, 06:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #60 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: