Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny042 View Post
I've been meaning to post a review of the bars (A++!!), Ryan was very helpful with these and I really appreciate he's bringing this stuff to market for our old cars!
Our pleasure!
Old 11-09-2018, 07:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #61 (permalink)
I would rather be driving

I admit that these look like great shocks. There needs to be double adjustable options for our cars.

I just don't understand why they are so damn expensive. I know it is a limited market.

I guess I have to stick with opening my old Koni's to change shock oil weight to adjust compression damping.
classicautowerks.com - EFI conversion parts
Old 11-09-2018, 08:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #62 (permalink)
Runnin on empty

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny042 View Post
FYI - the stock bars from my 85 were front 20mm, rear 18mm. The Eibach front is 24mm (solid) and rear 25mm (hollow). They are indeed a significant upgrade to the stock ones, not only due to the increased size of the bars themselves, but also the quality of the mounting/connection hardware - having nearly solid bushings at the bar pivots combined with the rod-ends for the end links mean the bars will start to act much sooner for a given cornering force. Also there should be a lot less friction/stiction, particularly in the front.

I've been meaning to post a review of the bars (A++!!), Ryan was very helpful with these and I really appreciate he's bringing this stuff to market for our old cars!

The stock front bar vs. the new Eibach bar. They are significantly different.

Okay, Im sold! Whats the part number? Ryan, should send you a commission! Seriously, very nice kit. Should compliment the KWs nicely in the suspension tuning. Thx
Old 11-09-2018, 11:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #63 (permalink)

Garage
Agree with Jonny042 on this - I've been running the Eibach sway bars for the last month or so and they're a huge difference over stock. And I have KW V3 shocks on my car too.....they work together perfectly!

acme911 - you won't be disappointed!
Old 11-09-2018, 11:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #64 (permalink)
Runnin on empty

Garage
For others interested in these and why the cost.

Here is a great tech article:
Porsche tuning magazine
Old 11-09-2018, 12:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #65 (permalink)
Runnin on empty

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by billydeakins View Post
Agree with Jonny042 on this - I've been running the Eibach sway bars for the last month or so and they're a huge difference over stock. And I have KW V3 shocks on my car too.....they work together perfectly!

I cant wait! I know the setup will make my favorite backroads a blast. From my reading it sounds like this setup takes what we love about handling and feedback on our cars and takes it to higher level while smoothing out the harshness of imperfect road surfaces. At the same time can take it to the track and dial in.
Old 11-09-2018, 12:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #66 (permalink)
Under the radar

Location: Sebastopol, the land of wine and redwoods in The Republic of California.
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpnovak View Post
I admit that these look like great shocks. There needs to be double adjustable options for our cars.

I just don't understand why they are so damn expensive. I know it is a limited market.

I guess I have to stick with opening my old Koni's to change shock oil weight to adjust compression damping.
Yea, too bad Koni stopped making these decades ago. Of course the front is a different story. Never understood why Bilstein doesn't make an adjustable shock for the TB cars either.

#56 PCA Redwood Region, GGR, NASA, Speed SF
Trackrash's Garage :: My Garage
Old 11-09-2018, 12:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #67 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by acme911 View Post
okay, i’m sold! What’s the part number? Ryan, should send you a commission! Seriously, very nice kit. Should compliment the kw’s nicely in the suspension tuning. Thx
e40-72-015-01-11

Have a good weekend!
Old 11-09-2018, 03:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #68 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by billydeakins View Post

Did you have to beef up the sway bar mounts?
Old 11-09-2018, 03:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #69 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sp_cs View Post
Did you have to beef up the sway bar mounts?
I'm pretty sure they didn't but Ryan can give you a better answer....especially since they installed it!
Old 11-09-2018, 03:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #70 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
I can’t wait! I know the setup will make my favorite backroads a blast. From my reading it sounds like this setup takes what we love about handling and feedback on our cars and takes it to higher level while smoothing out the harshness of imperfect road surfaces. At the same time can take it to the track and dial in.
Not so fast!!! (EDIT - I'm referring to the swaybars only not the KW) I did a little research and it looks like you might have to change out the rear swaybar mounting brackets (or at least do a bit of measuring):

https://www.wevo.com/Products/ChassisProducts/WevoChassisProducts-RARBConsoles.htm

As far as I know Wevo was the originator of the cast 4130 rear bar mount. These weld to the rear chassis rails. That link includes enough explanation that you should be able to figure out what needs to happen for your car. There is a good chance it's been upgraded already.
Old 11-10-2018, 05:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #71 (permalink)
Schleprock

Send a message via Yahoo to KTL
Stiffer sway bars will put more load into the chassis mounts. So it’s recommended you take a close look at the existing mounts to check their condition.

The typical failure condition is either the welded nuts tear through the base of the mount, or the mounting “pad” itself tears at the curved transition where it goes from flat to upright along the chassis. It really boils down to the stamped sheetmetal being too thin and over time the thin
metal fatigues to the point of tearing. This failure mode is resisted by the WEVO mount’s thick cast steel, thick & wide threaded areas and the gussets in the transition area
Old 11-10-2018, 08:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #72 (permalink)

Runnin on empty

Garage
Thanks for looking out for me Jonny and Kevin,
I am still researching. I plan to make a purchase next week. Fortunately my mounts are solid. I have been very lucky, my car was in great shape when I bought her. Was able to view on a lift before buying. The rear bar plastic sockets were cracked and worn. I had a bar from a '78 at home and bought a set of adjustable drop links that bolted up to the spring plates. Don't remember if it was ER or Tarrett.

I had been researching the other bar options prior to the post by Steve. And it has been great that others have posted regarding the Eibach kit. Really like the Eibach front set up. It looks the business!

Thx, Andy

*** Forgot to add. I think it best that I run my car with just the new KW's for awhile to get a feel for that change. Then add the Eibach later. Hopefully this will make dialing it all in easier****

Last edited by acme911; 11-10-2018 at 09:22 AM..
Old 11-10-2018, 08:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #73 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan H View Post
e40-72-015-01-11

Have a good weekend!
I'm having a great weekend contemplating KW V3 for my '87 M491.

Ryan,

Do you have a front & rear bar offering for 930 / M491?
WTB / ISO: G50 911 M491 Coupe or Targa
Old 11-10-2018, 01:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #74 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Fortunately my mounts are solid.
Not sure the 74 mounts will accept the larger hole spacing required for the sway bar mounts that come with the eibach kit. Later mounts (as per the Wevo link I posted) are 66mm center to center.

Just something to be aware of - even if your mounts are in good shape, they might not work to fit the 25mm rear eibach.
Old 11-11-2018, 07:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #75 (permalink)
Runnin on empty

Garage
Thanks, I’ll check into that. How about front?
Old 11-11-2018, 07:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #76 (permalink)

Garage
As far as I know front will be ok.
Old 11-11-2018, 08:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #77 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by famoroso View Post
I'm having a great weekend contemplating KW V3 for my '87 M491.

Ryan,

Do you have a front & rear bar offering for 930 / M491?
Hi Frank,

The part number I mentioned above will work on the 491 vehicles too.

Ryan
Old 11-12-2018, 08:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #78 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: