Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Oil top off. How often

I've had my 89 911 for one year and only 1400 miles have gone by. Haydon bros food my oil change last year. Everything seems to be driving fine but the oil gauge is as you know useless
I've checked it after car of warm flat surface etc and sometimes it moves. Sometimes it doesn't. I check at the motor while timing and it seems fine.

Just wondering how often most of you top it off
Old 11-24-2017, 09:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
My other ride is a C-130J

Garage
As you know there is an “acceptable” amount of oil leakage and burn off in the Air Cooled Cars. Yes there are some motors that are tight as a drum that do not leak or burn much oil, but after much time on this forum MY understanding of the consensus of the members is that one quart loss per 1000 miles is acceptable. So I will monitor my oil level throughout the year and only after reaching 1000 miles will I top off the oil tank. Doing it this way I am confident of my oil loss per 1000 miles. Fortunately my loss is only about 3/4 quart per 1000 miles.

IF that loss becomes greater than 1 quart per 1000 miles then it may be time to consider corrective measures. When I do top off the oil tank, I put as much oil into a warm engine to reach the top of the safe level on the dip stick.
Previously Owned Art from Stuttgart
2000 Boxster -1983 911 SC Cab -1984 944 N/A

Last edited by RNajarian; 11-25-2017 at 05:27 PM..
Old 11-25-2017, 05:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Many of us have found that our 911's use LESS oil if we maintain the level at the middle of the acceptable range on the dipstick, not the top of the range.
Old 11-25-2017, 05:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I guess I'm the only one out there with a very accurate oil gauge. It has always been bang on the dipstick reading.
Old 11-25-2017, 06:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Driver, not Mechanic

My gauge is also accurate. I top off when it levels off at 3 or 4 o clock when the oil temp is 8 or 9 o clock.

Of course, since I'm opening the oil cap, I check via the dipstick anyway. (Wipe-dip-check method.)
Old 11-25-2017, 06:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

OP -- keep in mind that the gauge only works when the car's warmed up and sitting still (with engine idling) on a level surface. Mine's surprisingly accurate
Old 11-25-2017, 06:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Jacksonville, Fl

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSt|G View Post
I guess I'm the only one out there with a very accurate oil gauge. It has always been bang on the dipstick reading.
Ditto!

Also, I feel like 1 quart per 1000 miles is a lot of topping off, even for these cars. Over the course of a 3k oil life, I almost never need to top off. Yet alone as much as 3 quarts per interval.

I also fill up to the half way point on the stick though...FWIW
Old 11-25-2017, 07:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Formerly known as Syzygy

I top off when the dip stick in the oil tank gets to the lower level line. I only ever fill it to the half way point between the two marks.

Again, check the stick until you get a sense if your oil gauge is accurate - engine running, warm and on level ground.

1987 ROW coupe, Marine blue, with a couple extra goodies.

The cars we love the best are the ones with human traits, warts and all.
Old 11-25-2017, 07:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

thanks for the discussion

when i first purchased the car , the oil level needle would never move....before learning what i learned here, i thought it was broken. Prior to my purchase it had an oil change a yr prior and only 500 miles...

so when i got it and took it for its first oil change at time of purchase the shop said it was down one quart and since then the gauge did move....

i suppose this is the issue as u all have mentioned is that its been 1000 plus miles and it is probably down one quart....whats crazy is lets say its just one quart, you would think the needle would show some life.....nope mine is completely at the bottom of the markers.

i drove 140 miles today mostly freeway and then a few miles on angeles crest for the first time ever....i got home, and let it idle for 5 min and the needle didnt move...

throughout my drive the druck press rested at 4 and engine temp was steady and normal.

at home i turned it off and checked oil level and after a wipe there wasnt much on the stick.....i actually checked with it on too...notmuch difference.

i figured to just add a half quart i had sitting left. Tomorrow ill see if there is any movement....

btw way my car thank good ness drips no oil at all.

1985 Mercedes Benz 500sel Nautical Blue

2012 Mercedes Benz E63 AMG Iridium Silver
Old 11-25-2017, 02:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Formerly known as Syzygy

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdubpower View Post
thanks for the discussion

when i first purchased the car , the oil level needle would never move....before learning what i learned here, i thought it was broken. Prior to my purchase it had an oil change a yr prior and only 500 miles...

so when i got it and took it for its first oil change at time of purchase the shop said it was down one quart and since then the gauge did move....

i suppose this is the issue as u all have mentioned is that its been 1000 plus miles and it is probably down one quart....whats crazy is lets say its just one quart, you would think the needle would show some life.....nope mine is completely at the bottom of the markers.

i drove 140 miles today mostly freeway and then a few miles on angeles crest for the first time ever....i got home, and let it idle for 5 min and the needle didnt move...

throughout my drive the druck press rested at 4 and engine temp was steady and normal.

at home i turned it off and checked oil level and after a wipe there wasnt much on the stick.....i actually checked with it on too...notmuch difference.

i figured to just add a half quart i had sitting left. Tomorrow ill see if there is any movement....

btw way my car thank good ness drips no oil at all.

Not to sound like an prick, maybe you should actually read some of the posts. Like the one I left right above where you responded.

Check the oil with the engine running. Check the oil with the engine at full operating temperature. Check the oil with the car on level ground.

I can hardly be more clear.

If you don't check the stick in this manner, it will read low. Really low. And will cause you to overfill which isn't good.

As well, if your oil gauge works correctly - some aren't accurate or don't work at all - it will only give a reading when in the same situations as when you can check with the dipstick. In addition, it usually takes a few seconds to stabilize after driving the car so give it time to settle out before checking the gauge. And run your oil level about half way between the lines on the stick as it likely will use up the upper amount quickly.

The dip stick is the holy grail; you can ignore the gauge, and should unless you know if it's accurate and when to actually read it.

Last edited by Canada Kev; 11-25-2017 at 03:25 PM..
Old 11-25-2017, 03:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Hilbilly Deluxe

Garage
Add oil if and when it is low.

You know, after you check it.
GTI Cup #43
Old 11-25-2017, 03:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

i should have edited the way i typed my message, i did check it first how u had mentioned...when it was on, there was like maybe 1/4 of the level, and thats why i put in that last half quart i had in the garage. . thanks

1985 Mercedes Benz 500sel Nautical Blue

2012 Mercedes Benz E63 AMG Iridium Silver
Old 11-25-2017, 06:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Dial 911

Garage
If I fill it to the 'full' level, it uses 1 litre within 700 km of mixed city-hwy type driving... For many years now, I run it at 1-1.5 litres lower on an oil change and I them only need to add at 1 litre at 1000...The temp and the oil pressure remains very good at the lower oil levels.

PS - The car has 122K km on it and it does not puff any oil on start ups nor does it leak any oil...I use Mobil1 full synthetic 15- 50.

“Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.”

Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 11-26-2017, 02:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
This is a forum for people looking for assistance who will take the time to read the replies of other members. It is not Twitter or texting- thank God. If I could make a suggestion, with all due respect, try typing full complete sentences using some puncuation. Then you might proof read your post before posting it for all to read. No offense but your first post in this thread is not well written.

Now, as you own an '89 Carrera, I would suggest obtaining and reading the factory owner's manual. It will help you understand and appreciate your car and perhaps....save you a ton of money at some point. Cheers.
1971 914-6 #0372
2016 Audi S3 DD
2010 997.2 C4S 6 Speed
Old 11-26-2017, 04:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
resident samsquanch

Quote:
Originally Posted by aread View Post
...Over the course of a 3k oil life, I almost never need to top off...
What is this "3k oil life" you speak of?

EDIT: I generally run my oil level between 1/4 and 1/2 on the gauge, which is close to the same on the funky 993 dip-stick. On my daily driven 993 (103K miles on original engine), I am burning just under 1 quart every 1000 miles. I change oil annually (Gibbs DT50) about every 7 or 8,000 miles.
"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)

Last edited by sand_man; 11-26-2017 at 06:59 AM..
Old 11-26-2017, 05:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

I notice a big difference in oil level depending on oil temperature. When the temperature finally creeps up into the center section on the temp gauge and the oil is flowing through both coolers, magically the level is noticeably higher on the stick than at the bottom of the range or below. If you don't thoroughly warm the car up, it's easy to overfill.
Old 11-26-2017, 07:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

I LOVE my oil level gauge. I only use the dip after I have done an oil change, and in fact use my oil gauge when filling back up. never too much in there.

I did a right up on removing the sending unit and cleaning it up so it works.
once it works just verify gauge to dip stick, which I do after each oil change. then when you are sitting at a stop light you can check your oil.

I put about 8qts in, then run it to get it hot, while idling I add oil and watch the gauge. fill it until it shows half way. BTW, never fill it to the max on the dip stick. no need.
08 VOLVO V70 190K:: [__] RUNNING: [__] NOT RUNNING:
90 B2200[__] RUNNING:[] NOT RUNNING:__2000 MER E320 WAGON [] WRECKED:[]RUNNING:
Old 11-27-2017, 03:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Formerly known as Syzygy

Your gauge is accurate, but you likely also verified using the dip stick before you relied upon it so be so.

The OP seems to be having issues checking his oil with the stick AND with the gauge. He needs to get his oil level so he knows where it's at and then match the gauge across the ~2 quart range between the lines on the stick. Once he knows how accurate his gauge is, then by all means rely on that, though confirming periodically (every change is a good idea) by checking against the stick.

My gauge is also accurate across its range but I'll still check with the stick before I add any oil to the tank. I mean, it's right there when I'm adding oil, so why not?

Old 11-27-2017, 05:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

I thought acceptable usage was a quart per 1,000 KM, not 1,000 miles? Which is it?
1962 XKE Roadster (sold)
19 motorcycles
Old 11-27-2017, 08:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Formerly known as Syzygy

I believe you're correct, Bob. I remember reading that it's time to start thinking seriously about a rebuild soon, when you're using a quart every 6 or 700 miles (1000 km = 620 miles).

Old 11-27-2017, 08:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: