Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Race Car Front Bumper ID help

Hello -

Anyone recognize this front bumper? Just wondering if it's a custom job or if they are available somewhere...

This car was in the classifieds a while back and I saved the pic. I sent an email to the seller, but never heard back.

Thanks,
Tom

Old 12-01-2017, 07:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

I don't... perhaps a POC driver/racer knows something about it.

That looks very different from the 993-style aftermarket front bumpers I have seen. The aero doo dads (rockers, canards and b-pillar air deflectors) look custom.

The front splitter looks a little modest... but of course it only needs to be what it needs to be for downforce and aero balance.

Perhaps someone like Mr. Roush or Mr. Beggs down in So Cal know something about this car/bodywork.
Porsche Racing Club #4
BMWCCA
NASA
Old 12-05-2017, 09:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I am not sure that it is 993 bumper. It may look like one, but the hood on that car looks long? I don't think the 993 fiberglass bumper is usually flush with the fenders.

993 Parts
Old 12-05-2017, 09:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

Mike - thanks for the PM and suggestions. I sent a note to a POC guy...

I'm pretty sure the original car is not a 993, but is an SC or late '70s 911 with modified bodywork...

Kind of hard to tell if the fenders and hood are unmodified from that era (aside from the 993-esque headlights) or if they are originally 993 parts modified to fit on an older body...

Either way, I kind of like it and am curious to know more about it.
Old 12-05-2017, 09:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

Sorry I may have been misunderstood. I used the term "993-style" to refer to the bumper styling, Not the car.

My presumption is that the bumper in the pics is made from composite materials.

There have been and still are aftermarket composite parts with such styling that can fit pre-993 cars. There are a lot of air-cooled race cars out there with such parts.

My car has parts like this-- it is a '75, but the body parts are 993-styled. That is, the styling is based on the 993/993 twin turbo design. In my case these parts came from Getty Design. Great parts.

Back in the day, several of the choices from GT Racing actually came from Getty Design. Not sure whether that is true today.

Of course there are also some custom parts out there that are made by individuals and/or shops.

In this picture, the front is 993-like, but the rear is 911 like. I know of a a few build like this, but I am not familiar with this car, which looks like it was prepped for a POC class or classes.

I should add that there are likely still threads in these forums and some other forums (like ***list) that have a lot of pictures of 993-styled race cars. I have a collection of such pics from all over the world. We have to remember that the 993 styling first showed up in the early 90's and there have likely been quite a few aftermarket composite parts commercially available and/or custom made based on that styling.
Porsche Racing Club #4
BMWCCA
NASA

Last edited by Mahler9th; 12-05-2017 at 10:46 AM..
Old 12-05-2017, 10:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered

Several years back there was a dark red car with the same bodywork in the POC. I believe it was built by Sergio Nardi of Gameface Motorsports. If you look at the rear end it's normal 930/Iroc parts, the front is a 930/993 hybrid.
Old 12-05-2017, 01:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Registered

Garage
That used to be my POC number— in the nineties. Fwiw

Probably the eighties.

Old 12-05-2017, 01:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: