Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
I am making H5 to LED headlight conversions

I know this has been done already. I have searched what my options are, and decided to make my own H5 to LED headlight retrofit.

For the LED-s I have also been researching my choices and decided to go with the Nolden second generation bi-LED headlights.

Basically, this is what I am going to build.

https://en.noldengmbh.de/en/products/tuner-eng/44-unternehmen/tuning-news-eng/131-rpm-ncc-bi-led-hauptscheinwerfer-fuer-porsche-eng

I have already sourced the lights and imported the proper Porsche buckets, (so I don't have a small light bulb socket on the bottom) from Germany.

I thought since i am building one set I could build two if anybody is interested.

Let me guys know what you think.
Instagram#3DdesignsSD
Old 12-03-2017, 08:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Exiled Viking

i'd be interested in a set
Old 12-03-2017, 10:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
I'm interested too. Thanks.
Old 12-03-2017, 11:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Hi,

Very interesting!

Difficult to have information in France by going on your link, do you know the price of these lighthouses?
Old 12-04-2017, 12:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Carmagic.us

They Look great. Almost like mine.

Cheers
Engelbert

Last edited by rothaus; 12-04-2017 at 03:46 AM..
Old 12-04-2017, 03:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rothaus View Post
They Look great. Almost like mine.

Cheers
Engelbert
What's the current draw vs std 55/55 H4s
Old 12-04-2017, 04:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

please share how you build them. I already have the clear lenses but don't know yet exactly how to mount the GL-180 headlights
Old 12-04-2017, 04:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Hello,

Long Time lurker from Oz.

Here are ones I made with Jeep LED'S 55 Watt (5 Amps) <$200 Australian including LED's, VW round inserts and clear glass.

Very easy, cheap and a huge improvement.
Old 12-04-2017, 04:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Carmagic.us

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Verburg View Post
What's the current draw vs std 55/55 H4s
These are 30W low beam, 48W high beam. The low beam stays on during high beam. They also have DRL/parking light function if needed.

Cheers
Engelbert
Old 12-04-2017, 04:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
I will be combining the back section of the H5 retaining bracket with the headlight holding section of the sugar scoops, essentially that is what holding the LED lights in place. Then we need to fabricate the parts to hold the bucket/lens/ring assembly.

I don't have all the pricing yet, and since the sugar scoop parts are going to be used (most likely) it will also depend on their cost, so that's a variable number.

FYI, I am not making this to be a cheap replacement. That's why I selected the Nolden, which is a premium light using OSRAM chips, comparable to the JW Speaker but more economical. I am also getting the buckets from Germany that does not have the small light bulb socket on the bottom. IMO the devil is in the details and since I'll be using clear lenses you can see what's behind it. Maybe the lenses are something to save some money on, I did find a set of clear Hella lenses for myself, but i think could go with the cheaper non-branded versions as well.

Anyway, I just wanted to though it out and see if I am making more than just my own set I could just as easily make another one or two the same time.

Let me know who's in and I'll keep you posted on my progress also.
Instagram#3DdesignsSD
Old 12-04-2017, 08:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Why use the H5 piece if you already have a headlight bucket?
Old 12-04-2017, 08:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by froggert View Post
Why use the H5 piece if you already have a headlight bucket?
Such that he can use the H5's more secure mounting system a la what @Cook&Dunning did here... H5 and sealed beam headlight conversion
WTB / ISO: G50 911 M491 Coupe or Targa
Old 12-05-2017, 10:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by famoroso View Post
Such that he can use the H5's more secure mounting system a la what @Cook&Dunning did here... H5 and sealed beam headlight conversion
Exactly.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
Instagram#3DdesignsSD
Old 12-05-2017, 10:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Oh, I see now. Thanks for the link. That mounting and aiming should be much more secure and stable than the usual H4 method. Wish I'd seen that before converting my headlights.
Old 12-05-2017, 11:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

i too would be interested in a set, i have the H$ setup now with Euro glass but to be honest prefer the combined scoop clear look

Bob
Old 12-05-2017, 12:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
Has anyone tried H5 LED bulbs as a plug-n-play replacement?
Old 12-30-2017, 04:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
Typically brighter bulbs don't make bad lights any better. They only make brighter light scatter all over the place.

The H4 design and good LED lights have much better patterns and sharper cut off. There is really no contest.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
Instagram#3DdesignsSD
Old 12-30-2017, 04:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Light Set

PM sent
Old 12-31-2017, 06:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage
I finally started working on my lights and realized I don't have enough of the ring retaining clips (springs), as well as the screws for the bottom of the rings.

I have a couple of questions also.
  • Are there specific locations around the ring where these clips have to go? How many do I need?
  • Also is the screw a specific one? i am seeing a couple of different versions, one with a plastic sleeve and one with just a longer neck.

This is what I have so far
Sorry about the bad pix, it was getting dark

LED light in a hybrid H5/Sugar scoop bucket.

Light on low beam

The ring assembly is just hung on the car here. It's not actually screwed on yet.
Instagram#3DdesignsSD
Old 04-11-2018, 09:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Carmagic.us

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Ddesigns911 View Post
I finally started working on my lights and realized I don't have enough of the ring retaining clips (springs), as well as the screws for the bottom of the rings.

I have a couple of questions also.
  • Are there specific locations around the ring where these clips have to go? How many do I need?
  • Also is the screw a specific one? i am seeing a couple of different versions, one with a plastic sleeve and one with just a longer neck.
You need 8 clips, one on top, one at the bottom, and 3 left and right.

You should be able to use the same bottom screw you had in before.

Also, don't forget the rubber seal between the outer ring and the glass.

Cheers
Engelbert
Old 04-12-2018, 03:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: