Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Clunk in Steering

My 83 SC has a clunk in the steering. Does this look like the culprit? It is just below the U-Joint

Old 12-05-2017, 05:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Does it handle like a dump truck?
Old 12-05-2017, 05:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
The Mighty Pieholio

Garage
Get your friend and confirm that is where the clunk is coming from. It does not look right.
Old 12-05-2017, 06:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driven97 View Post
Whadaya' expect - it's not modern!

***sorry Woody - couldn't resist!***
Old 12-05-2017, 06:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
hi aus...what you got there is bad bearing under the clamp.Replace it and no more noise.
number 23 ..part number 91134702901

Ivan

Last edited by proporsche; 12-06-2017 at 12:34 AM..
Old 12-06-2017, 12:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks Ivan. This forum is great!
Old 12-06-2017, 06:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Quote:
A side joke that is way too funny.

on the serious side, proporsche/Ivan nailed it - I would recommend that you investigate your approach on this one a bit by using this site - those clamp bolts can be a beyotch to access and loosen if the AC stuff is in your smugglers box.

'87 Targa Carrera 3.2 - Fabspeed Cat Bypass, M&K Muffler, SW Chip
Venetian Blue
Old 12-06-2017, 07:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Oh on a serious and helpful note, if you have to disconnect that u-joint to replace the bearing, the pinch bolt has to come completely out, not just loosened, as it goes into a relief in the shaft. I tried prying for like ten minutes before I figured that out. Probably a good idea to mark the orientation of the shaft to the u-joint before disassembly (both clocking and depth.)
Old 12-06-2017, 07:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Member 911 Anonymous

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to DRACO A5OG
OP,

While you have it apart, check each U joint for slop.

Something in your pic does not look correct, the shaft appears to be out of alignment.
Factory Marble Grey/Black * Turbo Tail * 930 Steering Wheel* Sport Seats * 17" Fuchs (r) * 3.4 * 964 Cams * 915 * LSD * Factory SS * Turbo Tie Rods * Bilsteins * Euro Pre-Muff * SW Chip on 4K DME * NGK * Sienes GSK * Targa Body Brace
PCA/POC
Old 12-06-2017, 08:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
yup steely is correct. Ausg...once you go do this job use little chisel if the does go wit a allen socket.The originals are i think small 4mm and they strip.I always used the allen head bolts from the seats.Perfect size and the have 6mm wrench hole.On your 911 seat there should be on the back rails 2 bolts on each side, those are the one .You can always reinstall the seat bolts later one will hold with one if you do not have them in the garage.
Ivan

Draco..yes it is out alignment because the bearing is kaput...

these

Last edited by proporsche; 12-06-2017 at 10:08 AM..
Old 12-06-2017, 09:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Proporsche,

I am not sure what you mean by using the 6MM wench hole bolts from the seat.

Mike
Old 12-06-2017, 02:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
hi..if you will have a hard time to remove those 2 bolts on the clamp.You will end up using a chisel.So,if you do not have any replacements bolts,use the bolts from your seat rails...i hope you understand it;-)
if not let me know

The bolt have allen head 4 and later 6mm ...

Ivan
Old 12-06-2017, 02:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Gotcha. Thanks.
Old 12-06-2017, 02:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Schleprock

Send a message via Yahoo to KTL
Quote:

I had a response prepared for that thread yesterday evening and didn't have time to finish & post it! Dam.......

That location has a needle bearing that dries out and can seize inside the surrounding rubber casing. When the bearing seizes, the steering shaft spins the bearing and it's steel sleeve inside the rubber casing. It's of course not supposed to do that and thus the rubber casing gets worn.

I suspect somebody saw this occurring and decided to spritz some lubricant in there to "fix" it. You have to fix it right and remove the shaft from the steering rack yoke below and remove the frozen bearing. Hopefully you can get the bearing off somewhat cleanly and polish the shaft. I've seen a number of these shafts with pitting on them, so it's not all that rare for this seizing to happen.

Incidentally my '86 Carrera is experiencing the same thing right now because I have a rubber groaning sound in the steering ever since I got it a few years ago. Didn't think much of it until I recently discovered the sloppy fit of the rubber casing. So i'll be doing the same repair job in the near future. Just have my efforts focused elsewhere right now on the engine rebuild.
Old 12-06-2017, 03:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
i just noticed you are in harr...i have some crazy memories from a wedding, back in winter 1992 in Hershey Hotel, of friend of mine from Harrisburg....long story short..all people flew(from LA) for this wedding only me i drove my 911 1977 but got stuck in Texas in Kerville ..my oil cooler on engine blew up day before x mas.......really long story.....

ivan
Old 12-06-2017, 03:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks for all the input. The only thing that still puzzles me is why the steering column is off center in the picture I posted. Is it because there is a problem either above or below it that is forcing it off center or has the bearing just worn out and letting it lean in that direction. Any thoughts?

Ivan, If you are ever in the Harrisburg/Hershey area again, give me a shout. There are some great roads out here.

Last edited by ausgezeichnet; 12-06-2017 at 04:15 PM..
Old 12-06-2017, 03:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
Mike once you get it apart you will see why it is of center...
I bet there some nice roads but i am a little too far;-)too much water between...

Ivan
Old 12-06-2017, 04:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ausgezeichnet View Post
Here is mine.

Yours is definitely not seated fully.
Note the spline area covered with grime.
Now see the very clean shiny area.

It is also not centered.
This photo seems like a symptom, not a cause
If it's not just the bearing, maybe something in the rack broke
and the shaft coming out of the rack is now crooked.

By the way, if Woody had gotten electric steering, this would not have happened.

Last edited by sugarwood; 12-06-2017 at 07:48 PM..
Old 12-06-2017, 05:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Schleprock

Send a message via Yahoo to KTL
The shaft is shiny in that location because it's being wiped by the rubber casing. That shouldn't be occuring because the shaft is supposed to be centered in the casing.

It's worth looking further down the assembly, by taking off the protection plastic cover that hides the rubber shaft coupler. This coupler provides noise and vibration isolation, and also provides the necessary misalignment from the top of the rack to the upper universal joint.

This thread from years ago by Walt Fricke is a good one to show the purpose of the coupler.

Steering Vibration damper removal

I had a solid connection on my racecar's steering rack and it was not good. There's definitely a need for this connection to the steering rack to allow some misalignment. This thread below talks about that a little bit. You can also see some videos I posted that show the findings in my car's homemade solid coupler that were not good.

911 Billet Steering Coupler
Old 12-07-2017, 08:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
Sugarwood, I just checked my 84 (that is what is nice about having 2 911's!) and it looks like yours, Still not perfectlycentered in the bushing but no splines showing below the u-joint.

From what I understand the the lower steering shaft has a relief in it that engages the pinch bolt. So either the pinch bolt or the shaft has been damaged which is allowing the U-Joint to slide up the shaft.

I Agree that it looks like a symptom not the problem itself. So based on that I will need to do more than just replace the bushing.

Any one have the part number for #17 in the parts diagram above?
Old 12-07-2017, 08:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: