Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Formerly known as Syzygy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny042 View Post
Also I figured another 5 minute job would be install the frunk light. It's SO frustrating, and inexcusable, to me, that the light hole on my brand new, from the factory, hood is of the wrong dimension. I mean how does that even happen? Trunk lights have been the same since 1965 as far as I know. So have the holes that they fit in. Really burns me that more often than not when you get a part there's some thing that needs to be fixed or changed or farted around with. That's if you can even use the part at all.

I had to make the hole bigger by about 2mm all around. And get metal filings everywhere, and have to touch up the paint around the hole so it doesn't rust. Another 5 minute job that will take and hour, or two, and involve grinding and painting, etc. What a PITA. Of course there is never any recourse for this. Sorry to vent but between the steering wheel that's 3/4" from the dash yesterday (a $200 fix!!), and this today, it's put me in a bit of a mood.

Don't worry about your emotional vent. I completely agree.

Your build is coming along fantastically. Is that a real word? The spell check thing didn't freak out at me so it must be alright... Anyway, this looks effing great! All the little rant worthy issues are just the challenges that will make the completion of this project all the more sweet.

Build on brother!

1987 ROW coupe, Marine blue, with a couple extra goodies.

The cars we love the best are the ones with human traits, warts and all.

Last edited by Canada Kev; 03-22-2018 at 09:17 PM..
Old 03-22-2018, 04:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #301 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada Kev View Post
Don't worry about your emotional vent. I completely agree.

Your build is coming along fantastically. Is that a real word? The spell check thing didn't freak out at me so it must be alright... Anyway, this looks effing great! All the little rant worthy issues are just the challenges that will make the completion of this project all the more sweet.

Build on brother!
Well said Kevin!
Old 03-23-2018, 03:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #302 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
I went ahead and ordered a 30mm spacer that comes with all the hardware to attach it to both the hub and the wheel, so hopefully that works (and looks) good.
link?
I'm asking because all OEM-steeringwheels I know that came with a spacer were factory fittet and are not really a detacheable part (G-model era).

Would be interesting to know.
FB: www.facebook.com/911garage
Old 03-23-2018, 03:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #303 (permalink)

Quote:
I went ahead and ordered a 30mm spacer that comes with all the hardware to attach it to both the hub and the wheel, so hopefully that works (and looks) good.
There is an extended shaft available p/n 911 347 061 03 which extends the upper shaft by 30mm. It comes with an aluminium disc 30 mm deep to bridge the gap between the plastic steering column and what is now the steering wheel spaced further towards the driver.

When I ordered mine a number of years back, Porsche mentioned I took the last set they had stock at the factory....not sure if I believe them....but it is a good, albeit fairly rare option.

If your order is consistent with my install, you'll need the shaft to make your disc work, but then again, there are differences all over the place on these cars

Dennis
Old 03-23-2018, 04:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #304 (permalink)

Garage
cool!
waiting for pix, very interesting.
Old 03-23-2018, 05:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #305 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iciclehead View Post
There is an extended shaft available p/n 911 347 061 03 which extends the upper shaft by 30mm. It comes with an aluminium disc 30 mm deep to bridge the gap between the plastic steering column and what is now the steering wheel spaced further towards the driver.

When I ordered mine a number of years back, Porsche mentioned I took the last set they had stock at the factory....not sure if I believe them....but it is a good, albeit fairly rare option.

If your order is consistent with my install, you'll need the shaft to make your disc work, but then again, there are differences all over the place on these cars

Dennis
Thanks for that - pelican lists that part for $3XX.00 dollars but other vendors seem to list it as "discontinued". Google image search comes up with basically nothing for that part so I'd say it's NLA.

I found a few options. All of them require that I un-rivet the steering wheel/hub assembly, but it's unclear what to do from there, except for the option I ended up choosing:

Mierra Sadre: Not clear if it comes with hardware, and also I was concerned that the diameter isn't large enough and would require a 914 plastic cover, which I read about somewhere but can't seem to find.

Carpunkt: Some of the same concerns as above (needs to be riveted?) but is finished in black so makes me think it's a complete solution. A bit spendy too. Comes in two flavours, 30mm and 50mm.

Strangely enough I also found another Carpunkt uption on their US distributors website but it is listed as "sold out". Again, no details.

And finally, from a well known Socal vendor:

Comes with hardware, and instructions. Not that I need the instructions, but they give me confidence that I'll have all the parts I need. Should be a 5 minute job

Old 03-23-2018, 05:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #306 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flojo View Post
link?
I'm asking because all OEM-steeringwheels I know that came with a spacer were factory fittet and are not really a detacheable part (G-model era).

Would be interesting to know.
That's correct - I have a 3.2 Carrera wheel with the spacer, I think it was option 018 or something, listed as "elevated hub". It is riveted to the wheel, and painted to match the leather. You could un-rivet it and re-attach it to another wheel if you wanted to. Here's a pic of a brown one that came with my 85:

Old 03-23-2018, 05:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #307 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911T70 View Post
Well said Kevin!
Thank you both! There are certainly ups and downs when doing a project like this. I swear it's a full time job just ordering parts. I need the wiring clips for the harness for the frunk light and rear decklid licence plate lights. Note my temporary use of binder clips

Last edited by Jonny042; 03-23-2018 at 06:10 AM..
Old 03-23-2018, 06:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #308 (permalink)

Garage
Jonny, this is the one I meant. Was factory fitted and is no quick plug-and-play part.

Those from Carpoint you listet do not look suitable to me, technically. they should be even to BOTH sides... hmmm

Last edited by Flojo; 03-23-2018 at 06:10 AM..
Old 03-23-2018, 06:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #309 (permalink)

Garage
Today's Backdate Detail

I managed to score a NOS, new, never used, heater control assembly from a fellow board member.... 73 and earlier used a cast aluminum (or pot metal?) assembly with quite a bit less writing on it!! It will also fit flush to the early dash trim the way it should.

Just like the turn signal and wiper switches, it is a direct plug and play with the rest of the wiring in the car, with the exception of a few of the small illumination bulbs which will no longer have a home.

The longhood version of the heater controls also has a few extra wires that terminate in spade connectors but it's not obvious what they are for. If you've spent enough time studying the current flow diagram for the SC and later you may have found the power supply to the fresh air blower indicator lamp to be a bit odd (as in, why is it run from the same fuse that powers the cigarette lighter?) - it all makes more sense if you look at the 1973 wiring diagram and see that these extra wires are for the Zusatzheizng. Well of course they are!

I had to use google to translate for me..... that's "auxiliary heater". I was able to remove these extra wires and also connected the + supply for the indicator light to the interior lighting circuit black wire, which conveniently runs right by. Which in turn allowed me to get rid of the blue wire that basically now does nothing.

Old 03-26-2018, 11:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #310 (permalink)

Garage
Mystery part, trivia time!

This had me stumped for a while. It had been dangling around behind the dashboard and I had never seen anything like it on either of my other cars.

Anyone recognize it?
Old 03-26-2018, 11:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #311 (permalink)

IIRC that’s the ashtray light. I seem to remember the round opening fitting into a hole in the top of the tray assembly, shining light down.
Old 03-26-2018, 02:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #312 (permalink)

Garage
You got it! Who knew these cars had an ashtray light. One more detail for me to either fix because it's not working, or remove because it creates clutter or weight
Old 03-26-2018, 04:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #313 (permalink)

Amazing work! Thanks for sharing this adventure. In the throws of refreshing a '71T and will be sanding/polish the paint (re-paint some time in the early '80s). Have a little experience to the sand/polish as completed this process on our '59A 356. This one was sprayed in the PO's driveway. You can see the color on the cowl that it was painted with. 600P to 1200P wet. Then 4 step polish with Griot's polish on the random orbital.

Really enjoying your thread.
Old 03-27-2018, 10:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #314 (permalink)

Garage
Wires, wires, and more wires.

Sorry for the lack of updates, but progress seems to be a bit slow lately. I've been futzing about with wiring. I've got every single wire accounted for, checked for continuity, and spares tied back out of the way for future use.

For now, I'm leaving the harness un-wrapped or sheathed, until I am 100% sure it won't require revisions. It's looking pretty tidy, and the un-wrapped look is growing on me. I might end up leaving it like that.

Also, I picked up the battery (Miata) and tried it on for size, and also colour coded and laid out the relays and fuses for the high/low beams, horn, and fuel pump. The fuse box will be mounted alongside the battery in an sheet metal enclosure.

Old 04-09-2018, 03:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #315 (permalink)

Garage
Today's backdate content.

Not much backdate content lately, but here's some - the same light switch was used for years, but the mounting hardware was a little different to allow for the padded dash on later models.

Late style, with padded dash. Note spacer washer and plastic retainer, and impact absorbing rubber knob.

Early style, with chrome retaining collar.

Note the cool rennline billet headlight knob. Now normally billet and backdates don't really go hand in hand but the black anodizing looks really great, and they make an ignition switch surround and a glove box knob in the same finish, to match. I also picked up a "911" emblem for the glove box that matches the one on the decklid - no T, E, or S designation for this car.

Last edited by Jonny042; 04-09-2018 at 03:32 PM..
Old 04-09-2018, 03:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #316 (permalink)
Under the radar

Location: Sebastopol, the land of wine and redwoods in The Republic of California.
Garage
All new wires? Simply amazing. That is a serious project.
#56 PCA Redwood Region, GGR, NASA, Speed SF
Trackrash's Garage :: My Garage
Old 04-09-2018, 03:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #317 (permalink)

Garage
I've been gathering brake parts too....

A smattering of suspension parts....

and hardware...... shout out to Belmetric. Never ordered from them before but they have a great selection, everything came well packed and accounted for, no missing pieces, no backorders.

Old 04-09-2018, 03:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #318 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackrash View Post
All new wires? Simply amazing. That is a serious project.
Nope, just cleaned up. And lots and lots of tidying.....here's my box of discards as of a few weeks ago I think...

Old 04-09-2018, 03:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #319 (permalink)

Garage
Testing, testing, 1,2, CRAP!!!

So my "backdate" plan for the wiper switch came to a screeching halt when I went to test it. I've been going through the circuits one by one, and when I powered up the red/white wire and tried the wiper motor it worked, but all wrong. It only had two speeds, they were mixed up, it didn't park, etc. Needless to say I cut power before something went up in smoke.

I had to figure out the intricacies of the wiper circuit and it wasn't quite what I expected.... constant power to the switch and the motor on red/white, 3 other wires (blk/vio, blk/yel, grn) for three speeds from switch, but wasn't 100% sure on the blue wire. I removed the interval control/relay circuit (in itself a hilarious bit of add-on (scab-on?) electrical engineering). So I was pretty sure splicing the blue wire to the blue/white wire would do the trick.

Sure enough, I plugged in the old switch and it worked great, all three speeds, pulse on wash, and return to park, all 100%.

I finally figured out that there's something called the "return switch" (as it's referred to in the 1973 wiring diagram) that actually receives power from the blue with IF the switch is fully off, and IF the wipers are not in the park position. This power is fed through the contact on the switch (closed only in the "0" postion) to the low speed motor feed to return the wipers to park.

There is another contact on the return switch, that, through an absolute miracle of electromechanical engineering, provides power to the high speed motor feed if the washer is activated.

So, comparing the two switches, I could see I was going to have to reconfigure the wiring from the early scheme. I took the opportunity to change the contact logic so that you get low speed wiper action when you activate the washer, as opposed to the rather ballistic "3" speed, whch has always struck me as a bit odd.

Note the unused 3rd speed contact on the "before" photo. Not even sure I can say how the early cars work, best I can guess is the motor windings are arranged so you get low, or medium, or low and medium, to get 3 speeds. On the later motor the 3 windings are seperate.

On the early switch pigtail/plug there is no green wire, but there is a brown/white wire taking it's place in the 6 pin plug. So I soldered it up to the vacant "3" contact and shuffled the other ones around. It all worked as planned. But burned up quite a bit of time while I scratched my head and figured this all out. All part of the fun.

Old 04-09-2018, 04:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #320 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: