Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Hi Jonny042,

I noticed that you were using a level to line up some of the interior pieces. I need to use a level to make some horizontal cuts on an inner fender, and match it up with a donor inner fender. Do you have any recommendations on the type of laser to use?

Thanks,

Rodney
'86 951 (Guards) Burned to Death
'71 911T (Orange) Sold
'72 911E (White) Sold
'86 951 (Black) Sold
'79 SC (White) Sold
'71 911 T (Green) Sold
Old 04-13-2018, 03:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #321 (permalink)

Garage
Hi Rodney, I don't have any specific recommendations for the purchase of a laser, other than to say check out your local home improvement type store..... mine is self leveling, and it projects vertical and horizontal lines, or both at once. It's pretty handy.
Old 04-14-2018, 07:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #322 (permalink)

Garage
I've been busy with work so the car isn't getting as much hands-on time, but I was able to get the fuse block mounted and wired. One thing holding me up was the wait for some non-insulated ferrules (ordered from amazon and ended up shipping from china.... aargh). Anyway I ended up with a lifetime supply of various sizes, and after trying various methods to crimp them, I finally settled on crimping with a pair of slip joint pliers as crimpers, which works well. The result:

My first attempt at getting it wired went well but I wasn't 100% pleased with it:

So I spent a little more time getting the wires tidy:

The fuse block I used came from JP/Dansk and I'm pretty pleased with it. I know there are "better" fuse blocks but I have a bit of nostalgia for the bullet fuses, and the really high power circuits like headlights, fuel pump, etc. are no longer fed from the fuse block.

The jumper bars on the fuse block are actually configurable, as they screw into the backside of the block, you can place them however you want. My re-engineered power distribution scheme called for jumpers between positions 1 and 2 (S18 and S17 in Porsche-speak), and all four positions 3-6 (S16, S15, S13, and 12). I added a little color co-ordination to the top of the fuse block to make it immediately obvious:

Although it seems unlikely that I would be able to eliminate all but 10 of the original 21 fuse positions, it wasn't that hard. Lots of positions were for things the car no longer has or never did, and the rest (like 4 fuses for headlights, etc) now get fed through the modern, hidden, fuse panel, down by the battery.
Old 04-17-2018, 10:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #323 (permalink)

Garage
A few odds and ends

I had to buy a new glove box/map light so took the opportunity to get the "correct" one with a chrome bezel to match the dome lights. Got all that stuff sorted out and the trunk lamp tested.

Old 04-17-2018, 10:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #324 (permalink)

Garage
I'm envious of your skills and results - so well done
Old 04-17-2018, 10:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #325 (permalink)

Very Nice!
Old 04-17-2018, 11:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #326 (permalink)
Under the radar

Location: Sebastopol, the land of wine and redwoods in The Republic of California.
Garage
Beautiful work.
#56 PCA Redwood Region, GGR, NASA, Speed SF
Trackrash's Garage :: My Garage
Old 04-17-2018, 06:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #327 (permalink)
Uncertifiable!!!

Garage
+1.
I envy that you have so few wires. Nice looking fuse box.
Cheers,
Johan
Old 04-18-2018, 03:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #328 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uwon View Post
+1.
I envy that you have so few wires. Nice looking fuse box.
Cheers,
Johan
Haha Johan I keep thinking about that - with EFI and turbo and all the toys I know you have a lot more copper in your car!! It's all a tradeoff of course. I added some wires last night but they will be hidden (see today's update).

I deal with industrial automation systems to pay the bills.... so maybe that's reflected in this build, not wanting to have to deal with as much wiring.

The other end of the car might more complicated than the front - I plan to install a wideband sensor and a simple datalogging system (air/fuel ratio, RPM, throttle position, and MFI rack movement) to keep track of the operation of the MFI system (and to create a log I can use to tune the MFI pump on the bench after some running time).

I plan to have an AFR guage while running in the engine and MFI system, but it's a simple data cable and will probably tie wrap it to the shift housing or maybe install it temporarily in place of the ashtray.
Old 04-18-2018, 06:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #329 (permalink)

Garage
Wires, wires, everywhere wires....

Continuing with wiring, I've been configuring the Littlefuse HWB60 power distribution module. This thing is a dream to work with - I bought the complete kit on ebay with pins, relays, fuses, seals, etc.

The wiring for this ends up being really robust - I am not concerning myself 100% with the waterproof aspect of it but putting the seals where I can - if you were trying to keep things sealed up it would difficult if not impossible to land two wires in a single space.

The wiring is plug and play to your design - install wire seal, crimp on connector, and push it into place. Pictured belwo is an assembled jumper/branch - these split the power from the High/low beam relays to the high left/right low left/right fuses. Note I've been keeping the wire colour codes correct to the original harness where I can.

I was planning to epoxy fill the unused receptacles to prevent the relays from being plugged in wrong, but had an epiphany about the pin layout on a micro relay. You can plug it in 180 degrees out, and it will still work fine (assuming you are only using four pins. Terminals 85 and 86 are the relay coil and pins 30 and 87 are the contact, regardless of the orientation! OK yeah I am a nerd but these things please me.

The wiring on the backside of the unit is a bit messy but the wires go where they need to and it will all be hidden in the end. In this shot you can see the 4 signal wires (white(hi)/yellow(lo)/brown(horn)/red(fuel pump), and the power feeds to the contacts. I have yet to tie in the main harness connections but it's a simple matter of crimping on a connector to each of six wires, one for each fuse, and done:

I'm really surprised I haven't had any offers of work as a hand model.
Old 04-18-2018, 09:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #330 (permalink)

Garage
Battery box

Got the first try for the battery box done tonight - looks pretty good. Well, looks like a box. Which looks like a battery. I've got to find a vintage looking Bosch sticker for it... after I paint it black of course.

Old 04-18-2018, 06:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #331 (permalink)

My god this is absolutely beautiful!!! Great work!!

My website: mẫu chân mày ngang đẹp

Last edited by Erickem; 04-25-2018 at 06:43 PM..
Old 04-19-2018, 02:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #332 (permalink)

Garage
Battery box - keeps going, and going, and going.

I've actually built 4 battery boxes now - through a comedy of errors including building an initial prototype, then cutting a hole in the wrong corner of the 1st good one, then bending the 3rd one off by 1/8 in each direction, etc. Finally there, I think. Unless I dream up a way to screw up #4.

Inside the box are some pieces that allow the battery to hold the box in place, divide the compartments, and provide a place to mount the relay/fuse box:

Some final fitting to do, and hopefully the next time you see it, it will be painted.
Old 04-22-2018, 08:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #333 (permalink)

Garage
Tractor paint

Something funny, I took a shock dust cover to the local paint store to get matched. They have a fancy computer setup for doing basecoat, but it doesn't work for my favourite single stage (UNO Hd).

They have a girl who does the paint matching by eye, for free, and I only bought a pint!

She did a great job. I got a bit of flattening agent too so I can get the proper finish on the shocks and struts.

The funny thing is I didn't tell them what the paint was for, and it came back labelled "tractor green".

Old 04-22-2018, 05:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #334 (permalink)
Registered?

Garage
It's been 6-months Jon. The masses are demanding an update!
R Gruppe #787
70T Ex-Waterlogged Rust Bucket
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/519605-waterlogged-rust-bucket.html
Old 11-08-2018, 06:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #335 (permalink)

Garage
How I spent my summer holiday, part 1

I'm baaaaack! As Mr. Blee points out, yeah, it's been a while. The saddest part of my existence is the change of seasons - where I live in the frozen hinterland of Northwestern Ontario (3 hours due north from Duluth, MN) the seasons change fast, and hard. My last post on the project was April 22nd, which would be about the time the fun cars (and motorcycles) come out of storage.

This is how I spent my summer break, photo essay style:

Old 11-09-2018, 07:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #336 (permalink)

Garage
Summer Part 2

Old 11-09-2018, 07:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #337 (permalink)

Garage
So yes, I am looking forward to posting some updates! Progress has not stopped completely but it's been more in the research/purchase tools, purchase parts, etc. vein than anything else. The last Heavy Metal related pic I took was of the steering wheel spacer I ended up getting. Much happier with the position related to the dashboard:

I also found this pic - I must have done some polishing? Can't remember, but it sure looks sharp! (EDIT - Found my hood crest!)

Last edited by Jonny042; 11-09-2018 at 07:58 AM..
Old 11-09-2018, 07:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #338 (permalink)
Administrator

Woohoo!! I can't wait for updates to start again, Jonny! I've been looking forward to this for some time
Too many Miata's to count.
Old 11-09-2018, 10:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #339 (permalink)
Runnin on empty

Garage
It’s a shame to coverup that front strut with a wheel! Beautiful work!
Old 11-09-2018, 09:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #340 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: