Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

yowzers. i'm just finishing an all steel backdate and color change on my '76 and the only thing i had to cut on the entire car was the bracket for the rear tow hook.

feeling real thankful right about now.

good work, amigo...
Old 12-07-2017, 08:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Guy View Post
Impressive! I had my share of cutting and welding on the DS front and rear due to rust but nothing like this.

Keep the pics coming.
I'm thankful I didn't have to fix any rust, anywhere, on the entire car. One patch of surface rust on each lower corner of the windscreen, that was it. The biggest advantage of starting with a newer, galvanized, chassis.

I grew up and live in the center of the rust universe, and have had to deal with it my whole life. In fact this build was interrupted more than once by minor fixes on the "daily".

Old 12-08-2017, 07:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwelle View Post
yowzers. i'm just finishing an all steel backdate and color change on my '76 and the only thing i had to cut on the entire car was the bracket for the rear tow hook.

feeling real thankful right about now.

good work, amigo...
Thanks!! I'm thankful that the damage was limited to things I would have had to replace anyway, to get the end product I wanted. So in the end it turned into an opportunity more than anything.
Old 12-08-2017, 07:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Garage
Body dolly

This step of the project is a little out of order but I thought it was worth sharing. I am pretty sure I didn't come up with this idea on my own, as there are plenty of examples of similar designs on the forum, and I am sure I copied one. Whoever contributed it, thanks!!!

This is a godsend. Any other long term project I've done has been on jackstands, Being able to roll it around and clean up underneath and make room by rolling it off to the side, etc., especially when your shop space is as small as mine.

It cradles the torsion bar tube at the rear points, and supports a strong point under the tunnel at the front. It allows nearly 100% access to everything to be done underneath.

One key point - I'm glad I ordered casters that lock, not only the wheels, but the swivel. Quite beneficial.

One more key point - if you make the dolly too low, it's awkward to do things like lay on a creeper, cleaning the underside of the tub, for days on end. As I get older, I'm starting to hold things further and further from my face to see them clearly. Also a problem. I got some reading glasses and that helps but they are a PITA. When I painted the underside of the tub I elevated the entire tub and dolly on jackstands to give me enough clearance to spray.

Last edited by Jonny042; 12-10-2017 at 06:32 AM..
Old 12-10-2017, 06:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Garage
sub'd. I love your attention to detail and dry account of events. Great build!
Old 12-11-2017, 12:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Garage
Nose job part 4

So, the car kept getting lighter.......

And I became increasingly concerned with my ability to get it back together at least a straight as new..... saw a bunch of posts on Celette benches, suspension pan jigs, etc. but in the end I decided there is only one perfect, how I get there is up to me. I turned to the internet for information. It's amazing what documentation has been compiled over the years on the subject of 911 tub measurements.

Basically enough information to drive a guy crazy. I mean completely up the wall! With all the front end parts hanging off in space without anything to locate them but dumb luck, I set about building a jig/support to act as an extra pair of hands:

Old 12-11-2017, 03:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

I would rather be driving

This is a great story! I always leave a reference panel in place even if it gets cut out later. This gives you some place to align to.

Can't wait to see where this ends up.
classicautowerks.com - EFI conversion parts
Old 12-11-2017, 04:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Garage
Nose Job Part 5

I the meantime I invested, as they say, in some "LASER PRECISION!"

The second last pic "Datum 0" is really important. First I went and bought a relatively inexpensive self-leveling laser. I'm skeptical of really cheap tools but something like this is easy to double check with other, equally cheap, tools. I don't really have any pics of it, but I set the laser up to project a horizontal beam about 4" from the lowest point of the tub and confirmed it was level and straight, then also double checked the elevations of the various mounting points and references. Simple enough to do by putting a tape or machinist's ruler up to a point, then comparing the measurement and calculating a distance vertically from the datum. Voila.
Old 12-11-2017, 04:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Garage
Laser Precision, con't

Now that last part is easy to type but I look back at the pics, and recall I was working in the car pretty much full time at this point, and it took a month to get this all done to my satisfaction. I'd go to the shop, fiddle and fart and adjust and double check, over and over again. It didn't seem to be going anywhere but I did take frequent sanity breaks to work on fun stuff:

It was the fun stuff that kept me coming back to the drudgery of stitching the parts all back together....
Old 12-11-2017, 04:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Garage
Nose job part 6

In the meantime I managed not to blind myself with my laser level or get my dreadlocks caught in the bead roller. (Just kidding, a little outlaw humor for you I don't have dreadlocks. I do have a bead roller). Once things started going together in the front end it went pretty quick.

Old 12-11-2017, 04:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Garage
More pics....

I wish I could remember exactly what transpired but along the way I decided I needed to use a fuchs wheel with a full size spare, just because I could. Well, I thought I could, but not so fast. You need a 65L tank. And that's not quite going to work with a later fuel tank support. But then, an early one isn't going to work with the later model lateral. In the end I ended up with a late model fuel tank support, re-worked to look something like an early one. I gave me enough real estate to mount a 912 battery box and fit an early washer fluid reservoir. That's all to come.

Last edited by Jonny042; 12-13-2017 at 02:28 PM..
Old 12-11-2017, 04:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Garage
Nose job part the final chapter?

I tried to make sure everything was well protected inside and out, by using plenty of epoxy primer on the non-welded surfaces and weld-though coating where needed.

It was really nice to get to this point.

Last edited by Jonny042; 12-13-2017 at 02:26 PM..
Old 12-11-2017, 04:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny042 View Post
In the meantime I managed not to blind myself with my laser level or get my dreadlocks caught in the bead roller. (Just kidding, a little outlaw humor for you I don't have dreadlocks. I do have a bead roller). Once things started going together in the front end it went pretty quick.
^^^Coffee snort through nose comment ^^^
I was hoping for a picture of you tangled up in that bead roller. This is thread is nearly as edu-taining as Project Binky.

Fearless work and great attention to detail. I have previously tackled a fuel tank support replacement in my home garage and my knees are crying out in sympathy for how you must feel about now. Keep the updates coming - although you are shaming all of the rest of us into heading to the garage and breaking out the angle grinder.
Old 12-11-2017, 05:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)
Under the radar

Location: Sebastopol, the land of wine and redwoods in The Republic of California.
Garage
Impressive, to say the least.

I'm not normally a fan of back dates, but this project is much more than that.

I especially like the fact that you faked battery box deletes using bead rolled panels. Nice touch.

And the fact that you are using a laser to get everything perfectly lined up. Very smart.
#56 PCA Redwood Region, GGR, NASA, Speed SF
Trackrash's Garage :: My Garage
Old 12-11-2017, 08:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackrash View Post
Impressive, to say the least.

I'm not normally a fan of back dates, but this project is much more than that.

I especially like the fact that you faked battery box deletes using bead rolled panels. Nice touch.

And the fact that you are using a laser to get everything perfectly lined up. Very smart.
Thanks for the positive comments - glad someone noticed the battery box "delete". It's one of my favorite touches so far. I went through quite a few prototypes before I found one I was happy with. Turns out simplest was best. I was tempted to make a die to stamp in a "+" and "-" in the upper corners of each but I have to leave something for the next build

Old 12-12-2017, 12:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

Garage
The Devil is in the details part 1

Just a few things to note, detail-wise.

This picture jumps ahead in the finishing process quite a bit but shows the eventual plan for the battey, and also a good view of the hood release tube (which had to be extended, reshaped, and reattached, and also the lower mounting bracket for the windshield washer bottle. The battery tray is a repro 912 item and I made a second hook for the 912 rubber hold down. I'll also use a 912 battery tray liner and a plastic battery cover also from a 912.

There are quite a few holes for the wiring harness in each inner fender (now filled). I'll be streamlining the wiring a bit, so I can use a six pin plug/receptacle. These were used on all four corners up to 73, and the shorthood cars continued the tradition in the rear up till 89 I think.

Old 12-12-2017, 01:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)

Garage
What beautiful and resourceful work. John in CT
Old 12-12-2017, 06:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)

Garage
Devil's in the details part 2

Again jumping ahead a bit, but relevant to the part of the process I'm showing....

These little devils: 90150130300 (left, shown) & 90150130400 (right) are important to achieve proper installation of the hood seal on an early car. They also provide the final mounting point for the fender, through the light box opening.

Installed:

Old 12-13-2017, 02:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

Garage
Real men don't need vacuum boosters!!

You really have to admire the ingenuity of the factory engineers in the 70's. The way they added power brakes to the car...... well, it really defies description. Can't say I am sad to be rid of the ridiculous assortment of levers and pushrods and bellcranks and pivots. Not to mention the weight and clutter!

One might suggest I had bead roller fever, as I used it to make the patch panel to cover the gaping hole left by the power brake system. Since I didn't have an early car to measure and copy I had to do my best from looking at pictures on the internet (of early car trunks). I think I got it pretty close.

A picture's worth a thousand words....... here are several thousand!

The final result!!

Old 12-13-2017, 03:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)

Garage
A closer look:

Old 12-13-2017, 03:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: