Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Porsche Nut

Garage
Nice work. I love seeing metal origami. It is my favorite part of Restortion. Some folks only like to wrench. I like to do metal “Woodworking”. Keep on posting.
Old 12-13-2017, 04:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)

The level of your work is amazing! Just got finished doing some welding on mine and after seeing this talk about shame ahah! Great job buddy!
Old 12-13-2017, 04:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queefchief View Post
The level of your work is amazing! Just got finished doing some welding on mine and after seeing this talk about shame ahah! Great job buddy!
Thanks for the compliment!!

Truth be known, I don't always feel like my welding is that great. But my grinding is EXCELLENT!!!!

My go-to tool for cleaning up welds is an angle die grinder and a 2" 3M roloc grinding disc. I buy them by the box of 50 in various grits. They are the greatest thing. Much more precise than the angle grinder.

Last edited by Jonny042; 12-13-2017 at 04:38 PM.. Reason: forgot to say thanks!
Old 12-13-2017, 04:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by merbesfield View Post
Nice work. I love seeing metal origami. It is my favorite part of Restortion. Some folks only like to wrench. I like to do metal “Woodworking”. Keep on posting.
Stay tuned

PS - Thanks for the compliment. Obviously I am really proud of the project so it's really fun to share it.

Last edited by Jonny042; 12-13-2017 at 04:39 PM.. Reason: forgot to say thanks!
Old 12-13-2017, 04:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)

Garage
This photo is beautiful. Just Yummy
1984 924s Nile Green Metallic with bone (totaled it in the snow in Cleveland, Ohio)
1983 911 White with Cherry Red...gave away (not enough time or money to keep it running) in 2001
Old 12-13-2017, 06:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)
Formerly known as Syzygy

Quote:
Originally Posted by merbesfield View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny042 View Post
Stay tuned

PS - Thanks for the compliment. Obviously I am really proud of the project so it's really fun to share it.
Ditto. It's been a long time since I've done any body work, but years ago when I was in my apprenticeship, I loved the metal finishing aspect. I would take an old rusty, beat up fender or whatever was lying about for a project and restore it to finished metal with no filler or high build primer. I'd take a lot of satisfaction in accomplishing that with nothing but a welder, body files and hammer/dolly.

Fantastic project. Keep it coming!

1987 ROW coupe, Marine blue, with a couple extra goodies.

The cars we love the best are the ones with human traits, warts and all.
Old 12-13-2017, 06:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]
Under the radar

Location: Sebastopol, The Republic of California. Land of wine and redwoods.
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada Kev View Post
Ditto. It's been a long time since I've done any body work, but years ago when I was in my apprenticeship, I loved the metal finishing aspect. I would take an old rusty, beat up fender or whatever was lying about for a project and restore it to finished metal with no filler or high build primer. I'd take a lot of satisfaction in accomplishing that with nothing but a welder, body files and hammer/dolly.

Fantastic project. Keep it coming!
Yes, metal finishing is a lost art. It so annoys me when these body shops will cover the entire car with putty or 9 coats of high build primer.
When I restored my car I spent days working out all the ripples and dings on my cars body. Two layers of medium build primer sealer on the bare metal, wet sanded then the color. 30 years later is still looks great.
#56 PCA Redwood Region, GGR, NASA, Speed SF
Old 12-13-2017, 07:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)
Porsche Nut

Garage
Quote:
Thanks for the compliment!!

Truth be known, I don't always feel like my welding is that great. But my grinding is EXCELLENT!!!!

My go-to tool for cleaning up welds is an angle die grinder and a 2" 3M roloc grinding disc. I buy them by the box of 50 in various grits. They are the greatest thing. Much more precise than the angle grinder.
The more you weld the better it gets. I know what you mean about grinding and using 2” vs a larger grinder. But if you want to be blown away, get one of these and you will be amazed. I still use my 2”, but this thing is an amazing tool. Get the various finger widths attachments and it is even more versatile. I bought mine used off eBay and got a deal. It is an expensive tool but one you will use often. Belt changes are super fast and easy. I get my belts from McMaster Carr. Word of caution, do not buy a cheap version from someone like Habor Frieght. Trust me, I tried. Complete POS. Didn’t even last an hour. Buy the best and don’t look back.

PS: Edit, check the model numbers bc not exactly sure which one I have, but it is the 18” belt version, not the short one. Head also rotates to allow different angles and such.

Dynabrade 40320 Dynafile II Portable Belt Machine

Last edited by merbesfield; 12-13-2017 at 08:08 PM..
Old 12-13-2017, 08:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)

Oh boy that looks really useful!
Old 12-14-2017, 07:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dynabrade-18110K-AutoBrade-Red-Belt-File-Air-Sander-Kit/332452053166?epid=27006374441&hash=item4d67afc0ae:g:TK0AAOSwHYpaDcKW

Going shopping.......
Old 12-14-2017, 07:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #50 (permalink)
Porsche Nut

Garage
I don’t know the difference between the red vs the blue. Probably different levels of quality? Maybe hobbiest vs Pro? I have always seen the Blue in past. Looks nice. Have fun.
Old 12-15-2017, 04:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #51 (permalink)

That's seriously awesome... or blasphemous, depending on your beliefs!!!

I'll go with the awesome...

Quote:
Updates are forthcoming. Hopefully have time for another installment this weekend.

In the meantime how about a pic of my white board?

Old 12-15-2017, 07:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #52 (permalink)

Dash vent removal

Undoing some dash vents - part of the backdate, while we are in the trunk area.....

I did also clean up a few other things, brackets, fuse box mounts, etc. in the front compartment.

Old 12-18-2017, 06:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #53 (permalink)

I was just over in the paint/bodywork forum updating a very old thread and thought I'd interject the picture here as it was a part of my colour picking process for the car.

There's a longer discussion about the various versions of slate grey over in paint forum, but enter at your own risk:

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/paint-bodywork-discussion-forum/895628-formula-glasurit-615-a.html

You know what they say about opinions..... there seem to be a lot of opinions in that forum

On to the pic. I considered painting the car slate grey for a while but decided against it. I tried a few versions of the colour:

I had previously also tried a fender in Bahama Yellow:

And a decklid in Signal Yellow:

In the end, I made the choice to stick with white. I really like the other colours, and in particular the Signal Yellow. I decided if it was maybe a more "look at me!" car it would suit a more "look at me!" colour.

Since this is going to be a sleeper, it's a sleeper colour. I doubt this decision daily. sometimes more often than that
Old 12-19-2017, 02:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #54 (permalink)
Under the radar

Location: Sebastopol, The Republic of California. Land of wine and redwoods.
Garage
I have never regretted painting my car GP white.

Thank goodness you stuck to single stage. IMO clear coats never look right on the older cars.
#56 PCA Redwood Region, GGR, NASA, Speed SF
Old 12-19-2017, 03:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #55 (permalink)

Very exciting build to watch. Hmm, maybe I'll backdate my '85.
Old 12-19-2017, 08:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #56 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackrash View Post
I have never regretted painting my car GP white.

Thank goodness you stuck to single stage. IMO clear coats never look right on the older cars.
I'm with you on that. I had limited experience with it, although had helped to paint/prep an airplane with it (white of course) and had also used it on roll cages and a car hauler trailer.

It really has a different character to it than BC/CC and I am enjoying working with it. It's pretty forgiving in terms of getting trash out of it after the fact - it sands and polishes like a dream. My "booth" is less than optimal but with enough care and attention you can get great results. All the practice painting I did while exploring colour options really helped, as did painting the "loose" parts separately - a good way to get the feel for the paint, gun, and conditions, prior to the big event of painting the tub.

Old 12-20-2017, 07:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #57 (permalink)
Uncertifiable!!!

Garage
Hey Jon,
Glad you finally started your build thread for all to admire your outstanding work!
I'm just continue to be in awe.
Can't wait for your next set of pics.
Cheers,
Johan
Old 12-20-2017, 07:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #58 (permalink)

Thanks Johan!

I'm in awe of your car.... not just that fact that it is incredible, but that it's DONE!!!

I have a long way to go but threads like the RST build are great inspiration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uwon View Post
Hey Jon,
Glad you finally started your build thread for all to admire your outstanding work!
I'm just continue to be in awe.
Can't wait for your next set of pics.
Cheers,
Johan
Old 12-20-2017, 09:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #59 (permalink)

I've been feeling a bit bad about my "white board".... so I polished it back to its former glory:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenacworth View Post
That's seriously awesome... or blasphemous, depending on your beliefs!!!

I'll go with the awesome...
Old 12-21-2017, 05:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #60 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: