Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Uncovered the car today so I could get at both sides. I forgot how beautiful it is!

It's odd to see bits hanging off of it..... rear suspension on. Of course the "S" rocker trim had to come off. Doesn't really feel like work though it's so much fun working with brand new shiny parts.

Speaking of shiny parts.... these things are absolutely off the charts!

Old 10-21-2019, 05:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #781 (permalink)

Garage
More on this later... it's not quite as simple as it looks....

Old 10-22-2019, 03:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #782 (permalink)

Garage
Ooh, ooh. My eyes.....cover it up quickly.
It's too shiny!

Seriously nice looking car with loads of quality parts as well.
Great build.

Doug
1973 viper green 911 hotrod
1971 white 914-6 conversion (narrow body GT)
Old 10-22-2019, 05:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #783 (permalink)

Garage
KW V3 Susoension

EDIT!!!! - I've deleted much of this orignal post because it was incorrect -

Without actually handling the bumpstops tat came with the V3 it's hard to tell how tall their effective height is, due to the integral dust shield. The top of the green tape represents the bottom of the bumpstop.

There is a hard plastic spacer above the bumpstop, easily removed, to provide some much needed suspension travel:

Last edited by Jonny042; 11-03-2019 at 04:00 PM..
Old 10-23-2019, 05:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #784 (permalink)

Garage
No worries. I have been driving with the V3's for one year now and believe me, that's not an issue. The way they work it totally different from the bilstein, that's nothing you can compare by simply mesasuring the outside.
Old 10-23-2019, 05:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #785 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by steenkamp View Post
No worries. I have been driving with the V3's for one year now and believe me, that's not an issue. The way they work it totally different from the bilstein, that's nothing you can compare by simply mesasuring the outside.
I'm sure they are going to be brilliant, of course!
I don't mean to imply anything negative about them, particularly without having driven on the setup. By all accounts they are amazing, and bring some much needed refinement to the damping / valving!
Old 10-23-2019, 06:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #786 (permalink)

Runnin on empty

Garage
Jonny, as you know, I installed the K3’s along with the new Eibach sways at the beginning of the summer. Had the car aligned and corner balanced. Settings were left at the factory recommended for normal road use. Spent the last few months driving our not so perfect back roads and am very pleased with them. Car is more planted and poised when dealing with the rough irregularities of the road surfaces, while keeping the ride smooth. Plan to track next season which will give me an opportunity to play with adjustments. Both with shocks and sways.
Overall the car is predictable and even more of a pleasure to drive.

Your build is a true masterpiece. I want to park it in my living room and look at it everyday!
Andy
Old 10-23-2019, 06:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #787 (permalink)

Garage
My measurements and comparison to the Bilsteins have been haunting me since I posted them. I suddenly had a moment of clarity (about time!) that the measurement I need to be making is of the body of one shock to the body of the other. Shaft travel has too many variables with the changing droop travel based on shaft length.

So, new measurements that actually mean something: Bilstein body length from mounting bolt center to top of seal holder: 423mm.

KW V3 from bottom bolt to top of body: 397mm.

Indeed, it would appear the engineers know what they are doing!
Old 10-23-2019, 07:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #788 (permalink)

Garage
Sorry I'm typing this on my device.... conclusion, for a given ride height, the KW has an additional 26mm of space above the shock body. This space is occupied by the bumpstop, but it is realistic to conclude that the KW setup has at least as much travel as the stock setup. A good thing.

They are also much sexier.
Old 10-23-2019, 07:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #789 (permalink)

Garage
This puts my build thread to shame. In freaking sane. You have a great eye.
Old 10-23-2019, 12:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #790 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by acme911 View Post
Jonny, as you know, I installed the K3s along with the new Eibach sways at the beginning of the summer. Had the car aligned and corner balanced. Settings were left at the factory recommended for normal road use. Spent the last few months driving our not so perfect back roads and am very pleased with them. Car is more planted and poised when dealing with the rough irregularities of the road surfaces, while keeping the ride smooth. Plan to track next season which will give me an opportunity to play with adjustments. Both with shocks and sways.
Overall the car is predictable and even more of a pleasure to drive.

Your build is a true masterpiece. I want to park it in my living room and look at it everyday!
Andy
Thanks for checking in, Andy - I've been meaning to drop you a line, although I also thought this KW talk might grab your attention..... glad to hear you're enjoying your car!

I'm sure your setup is great - I really like the Eibach sways on the Rot Rod, and was "THIS CLOSE" to bolting the KW's on it for the summer
Old 10-23-2019, 03:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #791 (permalink)

Garage
More progress!!

Rear hubs and parking brake. Unfortunately I did it in that order....... so the first side took me at least an hour. Once I figured it all out the second side was a 10 minute job!

Old 10-23-2019, 03:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #792 (permalink)

Garage
I posted this in a separate thread, but just in case.....

Hoping someone can anyone provide a little direction here? All my running cars have gone into storage for the winter so I can't look up their skirts for the answer.....

I am pretty sure the harness and the battery-to-starter cable both run over the torsion tube and clamp along the bottom of the seat pan with the clips, one of which you can see in the photo.

My question is, does the harness go up, straight up, and over the reinforcement between the torsion tube and body (blue line), or does it first go to the right, under the same reinforcement, then up and over the torsion tube (red line)?

I am pretty sure on early cars the harness follows the red line but think things may have changed with the later cars?

Thanks in advance!!
Old 10-23-2019, 06:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #793 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by daltvater View Post
This puts my build thread to shame. In freaking sane. You have a great eye.
Haha thanks!!!

In case you are doubting my level of insanity.... this sort of thing keeps me awake at night. I had "new" style pin retainers on the car, but I guess along the way I ordered some vintage style ones and I found them in my tub of miscellaneous hardware tonight....

Much better
Old 10-23-2019, 06:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #794 (permalink)

I had to shield my eyes from that first photo. Thankfully you fixed it.
Old 10-23-2019, 06:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #795 (permalink)

Garage
Jonny042,

I'm totally digging the "murder board" on post #26.
Old 10-24-2019, 03:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #796 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jac1976 View Post
I had to shield my eyes from that first photo. Thankfully you fixed it.
No comment on that fugly 8mm allen head bolt? In case it's bothering you, I've got some freshly plated ones ready to go. Saving for final alignment.....

Now for some actual useful content - I was happily bolting together my steering rack/coupler/u-joints/shaft/column when I ran across this:

So of course, I pull up the part number and find out it's a $100.00 part!!! Why!! Sometimes it feels like every time I touch this car it costs me $100. Minimum.

Luckily a bit of searching on the forum led me to understand that it's a plain old 1712 needle bearing which I happened to have as spare for the impending steering rack rebuild on the Rot Rod. If you go searching for threads on this you'll find that the early cars also had a metal sleeve and felt washers and lip seals, but evdently the design changed. I just hacked the bearing out of the middle (making a screwdriver-sized gash in the middle of my left palm in the process) and used a bit of Molycote 111 to help ease the new one in.

Voila!

And we have steering!

After which I buttoned up a few things. Frunk is looking.... frunky!

Old 10-24-2019, 04:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #797 (permalink)

Garage
There's just something so clean and classy about a longhood in white. Especially with the gold or chrome badging. This car is going to be so beautiful...

1999 4Runner Limited - it won't quit running so I'm still driving
Old 10-24-2019, 06:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #798 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny042 View Post
No comment on that fugly 8mm allen head bolt? In case it's bothering you, I've got some freshly plated ones ready to go. Saving for final alignment.....
ha! i was going to give you some shlt and point that out, but didn't want to be "that guy".

well played, and a helluva job. this car is going to be pretty sick...
Old 10-24-2019, 06:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #799 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny042 View Post
Hoping someone can anyone provide a little direction here? All my running cars have gone into storage for the winter so I can't look up their skirts for the answer.....

I am pretty sure the harness and the battery-to-starter cable both run over the torsion tube and clamp along the bottom of the seat pan with the clips, one of which you can see in the photo.

My question is, does the harness go up, straight up, and over the reinforcement between the torsion tube and body (blue line), or does it first go to the right, under the same reinforcement, then up and over the torsion tube (red line)?

I am pretty sure on early cars the harness follows the red line but think things may have changed with the later cars?

Thanks in advance!!
Hopefully this helps:

'69T

'73T

'83 SC (salvage)

Tim K

Old 10-24-2019, 10:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #800 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: