Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw_singer View Post
Just... wow...

i don't have any of the skills being shown here, let alone i'd build my own car. But a backdate remains a dream of mine and i like going through a detailed topic like this one.
So cool to see the level of detail you are putting into this thing and even more, the fact you are sharing all of it with us. Thanks and good luck with it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cairo94507 View Post
Stunningly beautiful work. Thanks for sharing.
Thanks for the kind words, and also, you're welcome for sharing. Obviously I'm proud of the work I'm doing (or I wouldn't be doing it!) and I figure it's a way to give back to the community, but also a way to elevate the art of the backdate.....much of what I'm doing and sharing could be done by others on their own projects.
Old 01-06-2018, 07:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #81 (permalink)

Natural light

I've been driving myself crazy trying to get my paint perfect. No matter what process I try I can't quite get the paint surface to where I'm happy with it. My paint supplier (who also gives me guidance on 3M sanding/compounding/buffing/polishing) just laughs at me and tells me I'm being too picky. My latest visit he told me to inspect the paint under natural light and come back and see him.

So I did:

And it turns out it was good advice. The paint looks perfect. And when it comes to paint, I guess if it looks perfect, it is perfect.

In fact it is quite stunning....... but I have a long way to go. Including repainting the hood and the rear bumpers.

Last edited by Jonny042; 01-06-2018 at 07:59 AM..
Old 01-06-2018, 07:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #82 (permalink)

That looks so good. It has to feel awesome knowing you are starting from such a clean slate.
Old 01-08-2018, 05:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #83 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by will hung View Post
That looks so good. It has to feel awesome knowing you are starting from such a clean slate.
Thanks! It does feel good - and is one of the most compelling reasons to start my hot rod project with a later, fully galvanized, rust free shell. Aside from the minor damage to the front it turned out to be a really nice straight starting point.

Of course rust repair is a noble pursuit, but I've done enough in my lifetime!!!
Old 01-08-2018, 05:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #84 (permalink)

Devil is in the details, again......

I tried to ignore this, I really did! In fact, it's a "correct" detail from sometime in 1972 onwards, as far as I can tell. But it was driving me nuts.

It was a wart on an otherwise inspired piece of design...... I guess it was intended to allow a spot for a deck lid switch. Which even the factory alarm didn't use?

So I made a pattern....

And a die:

And a patch panel:

Last edited by Jonny042; 01-08-2018 at 06:05 AM..
Old 01-08-2018, 06:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #85 (permalink)

I've been sleeping much better since.

Old 01-08-2018, 06:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #86 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]
Uncertifiable!!!

Garage
Jonny, wonder how many concour judges would have picked up that detail!!! Inspiring workmanship.
Can’t believe that you even ventured to open the garage door to take pics. It’s been so friggin cold here in central Ontario that I can’t get the garage to heat above 12C. In past years, it’s been easy to get to 16C which is my comfort zone.
Keep those pics coming.
Johan
Old 01-09-2018, 04:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #87 (permalink)
Formerly known as Syzygy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uwon View Post
Jonny, wonder how many concour judges would have picked up that detail!!!
They'll start looking now...

Talk about attention to detail and some mad skills. Keep it coming.

1987 ROW coupe, Marine blue, with a couple extra goodies.

The cars we love the best are the ones with human traits, warts and all.

Last edited by Canada Kev; 01-09-2018 at 05:08 AM..
Old 01-09-2018, 05:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #88 (permalink)

You know what,...I have been quite OCD with my backdate project and was just looking at that area a week ago and moved past it. Thanks for posting this, here comes a sleepless night and a new item to add to the 'to do' list!

Your thread and posts are just what I needed to motivate and push along. Fantastic work.
Old 01-09-2018, 02:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #89 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_h View Post
You know what,...I have been quite OCD with my backdate project and was just looking at that area a week ago and moved past it. Thanks for posting this, here comes a sleepless night and a new item to add to the 'to do' list!

Your thread and posts are just what I needed to motivate and push along. Fantastic work.
Sorry!! and, you're welcome
Old 01-09-2018, 05:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #90 (permalink)

Smugglers box lid

This one may get filed in the "barely perceptible" category, but yesterday I stripped and primed an earlier smugglers box lid. The factory modded the lid a bit when they ran the brake lines down from the new power brake MC, which I no long have.

RUST!!!! This confirms for me I made the right decision going with a galvanized chassis. This single part from an early car had more rust on it than my entire '78 tub!!

Stripped and blasted - nearly there.

The difference is slight. I wonder if I should fill those little holes in the lid. Not sure what they are for, but I'm not using them........

Last edited by Jonny042; 01-09-2018 at 05:18 PM..
Old 01-09-2018, 05:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #91 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uwon View Post
Jonny, wonder how many concour judges would have picked up that detail!!! Inspiring workmanship.
Canít believe that you even ventured to open the garage door to take pics. Itís been so friggin cold here in central Ontario that I canít get the garage to heat above 12C. In past years, itís been easy to get to 16C which is my comfort zone.
Keep those pics coming.
Johan
It's been bad here too. Quite a few -30 days lately. I'm lucky that I have a small shop and a medium furnace!!!

There are many times that I end up choosing between comfort, and ventilation. I always have to wait for warmer days to paint.
Old 01-09-2018, 05:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #92 (permalink)

I wish I had your skills, your attention to detail is amazing!
Too many Miata's to count.
Old 01-09-2018, 05:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #93 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric at Pelican Parts View Post
I wish I had your skills, your attention to detail is amazing!
Thanks! I can't claim to have that much skill, most of it is just having the right tools and hard work! And time, lots of it.
Old 01-11-2018, 06:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #94 (permalink)

Rear bumpers

I was really happy to be able to purchase actual 2.7RS Touring Bumpers, direct from Porsche. I was not, however, that pleased with the quality. Similar to the taillight surrounds, the component stampings were pretty good, and the handmade/finished flares were fantastic.....BUT!!!! The assembly of the component stampings must have been done on a Friday afternoon after beer break!!!.

So I did what I had to - cut apart my brand new $1000 bumper. It's exactly this sort of thing I'd tried to avoid by buying factory parts.....

And done!!

Old 01-11-2018, 06:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #95 (permalink)

PS - More backdate details

Just wanted to point out that one important part (to me, anyway) of this build, as I envision it, is to use the factory mounting points for everything. That is part of the "heavy metal" tongue in cheek reference in the title. Sure part of the allure of the backdate is to lighten the car up, and if that's the ultimate goal of a build, I am certainly not the guy to do it. I'm allergic to fiberglass

In this pic you can see the bumper mounts on the body (extra tabs that were included with the taillight supports) and the bumper support tubes. All this costs money and takes time but in the end the car was factory engineered to be this way, and that makes me smile.

Old 01-11-2018, 07:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #96 (permalink)

Ups and downs.....

The last few days have been pretty eventful..... lots of sanding, spraying, and a trip to the paint store...... more on that later.

But.... I never get tired of finding incredibly elegant details on these cars. Never noticed this one before (and I should have god knows I've spent enough time massaging it!!!)

Maybe it's just the paint fumes, but I never get tired of just staring at the way this entire shell is put together. If it was ugly I'd probably be driving it by now!
Old 01-11-2018, 07:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #97 (permalink)

Wow..I love the metal work, that pattern and die - talk about incredible attention to detail not too mention talent...very inspiring! Keep it coming.
Old 01-12-2018, 05:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #98 (permalink)

Good catch on the latch panel bump-- that is present in the repro panels, you wouldn't believe how many "restored" SWB cars have the bump! That and the dish vs. cup panel for the engine lid release. But in recent years everybody catches it.

I am enjoying the updates
'66 911 #304065 Irischgruen
Ex-'71 911 PCA C-Stock Club Racer #806 (Sold 5/15/13)
Ex-'88 Carrera (Sold 3/29/02)
Ex-'91 Carrera 2 Cabriolet (Sold 8/20/04)
Old 01-12-2018, 06:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #99 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 304065 View Post
Good catch on the latch panel bump-- that is present in the repro panels, you wouldn't believe how many "restored" SWB cars have the bump! That and the dish vs. cup panel for the engine lid release. But in recent years everybody catches it.

I am enjoying the updates
It seems there was a subtle design change to the door lock post in later years too but I am not taking the bait I have enough to do.

Especially considering I just wet sanded, then painted mine (again)..... part of a longer update to come...

Old 01-12-2018, 07:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #100 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: