Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
wow, wow, wow.

a proper 'S' trimmed car with SC rear flares comes near to perfection in my eyes. As a road car, it's much nicer than RS 2.7 look i think. Understated, gorgeous.

Inspirational pics!
Old 01-31-2018, 01:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #141 (permalink)

Garage
did you ever consider chrome bumperettes for the front? Not saying that it is needed here, just asking.
Old 01-31-2018, 01:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #142 (permalink)

Garage
GP White is a great choice - classy and understated.
Old 01-31-2018, 02:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #143 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wreckah View Post
wow, wow, wow.

a proper 'S' trimmed car with SC rear flares comes near to perfection in my eyes. As a road car, it's much nicer than RS 2.7 look i think. Understated, gorgeous.

Inspirational pics!
I agree! Speaking of the 2.7 RS, although I like the look of the 2.7 RS, what I really like is one of the 2.7 RS Prototypes, so I am using it for my inspiration. I was THIS CLOSE to painting it the same colour, but I like the understated look of GP white, and I think it is a bit of a nod to the 2.7 RS at the same time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wreckah View Post
did you ever consider chrome bumperettes for the front? Not saying that it is needed here, just asking.
I certainly did! Ended up saying no to them, and using the lightweight alloy rear bumperettes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911T70 View Post
GP White is a great choice - classy and understated.
My thoughts exactly. Plus I don't have a paint booth, and white overspray is a lot easier to live with than orange..... been there!!
Old 01-31-2018, 03:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #144 (permalink)

Garage
Today's Devilish Detail

My new Dashboard has a speaker grille:

So it only seemed right that I buy a speaker:

And give it a place to rest. My apologies for the poor metal work but it is going to be hidden, after all.

Old 01-31-2018, 04:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #145 (permalink)

Garage
Also

I also filled many other holes in the dash, which will help clean up the wiring quite a bit - intermittent wiper, headlight washer, fog lights, defrost, and lighter, all gone.

Old 01-31-2018, 04:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #146 (permalink)

Garage
The Devil is in the details part 12

It's funny the things other backdaters don't mention......

I ordered Aluminum Dash Trim as would be befitting a "proper" longhood, and a few things came to light.... one is, that the changed the spacing of the Headlight and Hazard Lights switches when they added the dash vents! So I had to fix that of course.

Old 01-31-2018, 04:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #147 (permalink)

Garage
I'll stop soon I promise!!

And also backdate the glove box opening too. No pics of the glovebox door yet, but it's just one more thing nobody mentions....... the late model one has a different profile so it needs to be changed out for an earlier model, so that the alloy trim will sit flush. I got a 70-71 Glovebox door with the handle in the middle just because I like the way it looks, over the 72-73 with the release on the left (where everyone can reach it, presumably). If you've gone this far......

Old 01-31-2018, 04:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #148 (permalink)
Administrator

No need to stop, loving the updates
Too many Miata's to count.
Old 01-31-2018, 04:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #149 (permalink)

BTDT, let me know if you need any info. I had to do this on my 69S that was updated and consequently, I had to backdate it. Great work by the way!
'73 911T Targa Signal Yellow
'78 911SC backdate
Old 01-31-2018, 06:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #150 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnielsen View Post
BTDT, let me know if you need any info. I had to do this on my 69S that was updated and consequently, I had to backdate it. Great work by the way!
Thanks Chris for the compliment - I consider that pretty high praise coming from you, your "Cheap Longhood" has been an inspiration, more than once, for me to keep going!!

I remember your post that said something to the effect of "all I've been doing for the last couple of months is block sanding". BTDT indeed

My feeling is that backdating (or undoing updating!) is helping the cars find their true selves
Old 02-01-2018, 10:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #151 (permalink)

Garage
Cheap Long Hood

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnielsen View Post
I was inspired to go back and re-read your thread about your 78 SC...... just brilliant. I am not easily impressed but your car looks great. I love this pic - I can tell you really spent the time to get the body straight, the way the reflections flow between the panels with disruption.

If my car is half as nice as this one I'll be happy! In case anyone hasn't seen it:

Cheap long hood...Another back date project

Old 02-01-2018, 02:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #152 (permalink)

Garage
Like all the best projects, this is a story of OBSESSION! I cannot imagine all that block sanding. Well, I can, but I'd rather not. Amazing car. John in CT.
Old 02-01-2018, 05:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #153 (permalink)
911 Mania

Garage
Admire your skills and OCD attention to detail. Since you’re eliminating numerous dash switches, will you also replace the three piece knee pads with the one piece (like SWB cars) which eliminates the ash tray and cleans up the dash lines? You might reach out to Albert356, he may have a spare one piece. He’s great to deal with.

Thanks for sharing your build with us. The combination of your writing style, exceptional build quality and humor is engaging.
Old 02-01-2018, 06:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #154 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frog76S View Post
Admire your skills and OCD attention to detail. Since you’re eliminating numerous dash switches, will you also replace the three piece knee pads with the one piece (like SWB cars) which eliminates the ash tray and cleans up the dash lines? You might reach out to Albert356, he may have a spare one piece. He’s great to deal with.

Thanks for sharing your build with us. The combination of your writing style, exceptional build quality and humor is engaging.
Thanks for the compliments, it's fun to share, and I am hoping it motivates me to keep going. Finishing a car is a lot of work. Especially when you have no help and are too damn picky to farm any of it out!

I did consider a SWB dash pad but decided to purchase a dash, knee pads, ashtray, and door tops, all from the same vendor/supplier, at the same time, so that the grain of the vinyl would match (and being nice and new is a fantastic bonus!).

I am actually getting near the point where I've run out of "old" pics to share, and am going to actually have to make progress in order to share some. Or I could just continue to steal pics of nice cars like the one above and hope nobody notices I'm not getting anything done!
Old 02-02-2018, 05:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #155 (permalink)

Garage
Frunk prep

Just adding some pics to the thread to keep document all the steps - I spent quite a bit of time detailing the trunk, doing things like filling the hole on the passenger side that was blanked off on earlier cars, filling other odds and ends, smoothing this and that, and grinding down weld spatter that the factory left behind.

I'm not planning to add carpet so I want the finish in here to be better than new, and tidier as well.

Old 02-06-2018, 06:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #156 (permalink)

Garage
Painted Frunk

Old 02-06-2018, 06:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #157 (permalink)

Garage
Ooops! Mossed seam sealer and SKS

Old 02-06-2018, 06:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #158 (permalink)

Garage
Interior paint

Working on the interior is fun. Mostly because you know you are just going to spray glue all over it in the end. So that doesn't feel like a waste of time at all...... I didn't want to chemically strip inside the car, wanting to preserve the factory applied seam sealer. In the end it was easiest to use a wire brush on the 4" grinder and try to gently remove down to but not through the first (black) coat of factory applied primer.

Old 02-07-2018, 08:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #159 (permalink)

Garage
Engine compartment

In following the theme of the car (basically an over-restored resto-mod 73ish 911S replica?) I decided to strip the factory applied undercoating from within the confines of the engine compartment. Purely for looks, but my reasoning is, like the front trunk, I am keeping things neater and tidier, and providing the best possible showcase for the 3.2SS MFI motor.

Old 02-07-2018, 05:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #160 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: